E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Anybody here lose his/her tow hook cover?

03-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
hkkuf
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 Monaco Grey Step

Anybody here lose his/her tow hook cover?

I just lost mine. I don't think it's stolen, but, whatever, it's gone.
Anyone got it replaced for free from one of the dealers?

I called one of the local dealers and the SA said I have to pay for it. I said I read it on an internet forum that it's covered under warranty, and he said that if it's something that falls off the car, then they can't submit it to BMWNA for reimbursement or something. He said he'll look into it with his manager but I'm not sure if he'll come through for me.
I bought my car from Passport, should I just ask them?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Lots of people have had theirs stolen. Interesting that most of them have occurred on the East Coast... VA, NJ, NY...

Haven't heard too much of this happening on the west coast.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkkuf View Post
I just lost mine. I don't think it's stolen, but, whatever, it's gone.
Anyone got it replaced for free from one of the dealers?

I called one of the local dealers and the SA said I have to pay for it. I said I read it on an internet forum that it's covered under warranty, and he said that if it's something that falls off the car, then they can't submit it to BMWNA for reimbursement or something. He said he'll look into it with his manager but I'm not sure if he'll come through for me.
I bought my car from Passport, should I just ask them?

Thanks
Call Passport.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Yeah, I read in the main board alot of people saying that it's stolen. I just don't see why anyone would steal it, as it's just a piece of plastic if it's not mounted on a BMW.
I haven't seen too many monaco blue 3 series so I doubt that someone who owns a less than 2 year old BMW will actually risk stealing (and getting caught) that in a supermarket/restaurant parking lot. I'd rather drive around with a hole in my rear bumper than risk that... but that's me.
I'm thinking it probably fell off on the crappy conditioned surface of Route 66...

Anyway, I'm more interested in if DC local dealers will replace it under warranty, and if so, which one.

I could call each dealer but I though this might actually be a worthwhile thread since it seems alot of people lose that piece of plastic.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
hkkuf
Private
Rep

I just called Passport, they say it's not covered because it's part of the bumper? WTF... and my car only has 2500 miles on it.

I don't know, despite its reputation, I'm not at all impressed with Passport service.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Lots of people have had theirs stolen. Interesting that most of them have occurred on the East Coast... VA, NJ, NY...

Haven't heard too much of this happening on the west coast.
sorry, i've been going around stealing those...someone's keep taking mine

it's the same with the tow hook cover for SUV/trucks...i bought it twice and gave up on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
sorry, i've been going around stealing those...someone's keep taking mine
Can I have mine back please?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I can give you any color except grey. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
riptide
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Mine has been missing since I recieved it. Someone took it while on it's re delivery. It's been three months. I finally received it from the dealer tightly wrapped in bubble wrap and it is got pock marks in the paint by the bubble wrap. pos.
      03-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
What did you end up doing?
did you have to order it? if so how much was it including painting?

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
f82phan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

I need a new one as well. Got rear ended in a parking lot --- luckily the damage wasn't too bad...and a good chunk of the scratch was on the tow hook cover.
      03-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Scottz71
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F25 X3 - Space Grey

Garage List
funny, no one has taken mine...though my e92 remains garaged a lot...but someone stole my entire gas tank door on my stupid Nissan SUV...the whole facking door...!
'07 E92 335i - Space Gray (Brock) retired
'15 i3 REx Giga World - Capparis White (Randy) retired
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottz71 View Post
funny, no one has taken mine...though my e92 remains garaged a lot...but someone stole my entire gas tank door on my stupid Nissan SUV...the whole facking door...!
you are next!

we can make a list for this group buy. i should be able to get them cheaper than any dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
What did you end up doing?
did you have to order it? if so how much was it including painting?
I asked Tischer SA and he said he'll look into it. I've had my front wheel replaced there, so I felt more comfortable asking for something at Tischer than other places.

Of course this was over a week ago, so I'm not very hopeful that he's going to come through.

I'm going to call him today and see what happens. I checked the price, unpainted one at Tischer is like 10 bucks and I'm thinking I'll just buy a touch up paint kit and paint it myself. I'll probably end up losing it again anyway, I don't want to invest too much money on that little piece of plastic.

BMW NA is still calling me about the wheel exchange I did at Tischer, so if he comes through somehow he'll get all five's. If not, well, we'll see how my day goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Quote:
you are next!

we can make a list for this group buy. i should be able to get them cheaper than any dealers.
Are you being serious about the GB?
And I wasn't kidding when I asked for mine back.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I asked Tischer SA and he said he'll look into it. I've had my front wheel replaced there, so I felt more comfortable asking for something at Tischer than other places.

Of course this was over a week ago, so I'm not very hopeful that he's going to come through.

I'm going to call him today and see what happens. I checked the price, unpainted one at Tischer is like 10 bucks and I'm thinking I'll just buy a touch up paint kit and paint it myself. I'll probably end up losing it again anyway, I don't want to invest too much money on that little piece of plastic.

BMW NA is still calling me about the wheel exchange I did at Tischer, so if he comes through somehow he'll get all five's. If not, well, we'll see how my day goes.
Talk to Jason at Tischer.
Not sure how much he can help but try. you never know.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Yeah, Tischer came through for me... at least verbally.

Tischer SA is going to get me a tow hook cover, get it painted and have it mailed. I think he's doing this because 1) I had my wheel exchanged there, and 2) my car only has 2300 mile on it (I only get to drive it on the weekends... )

Tisher > Passport

I guess I won't be joining the Group Buy after all.

EDIT: I don't know who Jason is, but my SA was Joe. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, Tischer came through for me... at least verbally.

Tischer SA is going to get me a tow hook cover, get it painted and have it mailed. I think he's doing this because 1) I had my wheel exchanged there, and 2) my car only has 2300 mile on it (I only get to drive it on the weekends... )

Tisher > Passport

I guess I won't be joining the Group Buy after all.

EDIT: I don't know who Jason is, but my SA was Joe. Thanks.
Glad to hear.
Jason is in parts dept.

My loyalty goes to Tischer. They have been superb so far for me.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Yup. Let's just hope the mail arrives here with the right tow hook and in right color.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Are you being serious about the GB?
And I wasn't kidding when I asked for mine back.
nah man
i wish i can give it to you but i dont have one...i sold all of them through ebay

ok i will stop joking around...

i mean after purchased 2 tow hook cover for the SUV we had and stolen, we gave up and it didn't look too bad since that portion was black.
but for bimmers...it doesnt look right without one.

but then, someone can just take it off next morning while you are at work/food place/etc.

i say...put a lock mechanism on that little tow hook cover! (comfort access works too! )
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Quote:
nah man
i wish i can give it to you but i dont have one...i sold all of them through ebay

ok i will stop joking around...

i mean after purchased 2 tow hook cover for the SUV we had and stolen, we gave up and it didn't look too bad since that portion was black.
but for bimmers...it doesnt look right without one.

but then, someone can just take it off next morning while you are at work/food place/etc.

i say...put a lock mechanism on that little tow hook cover! (comfort access works too! )
Liar. I checked ebay for "BMW 3 series rear tow hook cover" and nothing has been listed for the last two months.

Seriously though. Somebody could make a decent pocket change if he/she started selling these on ebay. It's just painted plastic and shouldn't cost more than a dollar each to make in China or Canada or New Jersey... anywhere.
Then put it up on Ebay for five bucks and charge ten bucks for shipping. I'd buy it as long as the paint matches my car. Hell, I'd buy it even if it's slightly off color.

I'm thinking I might just super glue the thing. Unless I'm mistaken, the tow hook is for towing something with your vehicle. I have never towed anything in my ten plus years of driving experience, and I've done my fair share of moving.
What the hell am I going to tow with a 40+ thousand dollar car? Seriously, has anyone seen a bimmer towing a trailer? That would be a pretty funny sight actually.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #22
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Liar. I checked ebay for "BMW 3 series rear tow hook cover" and nothing has been listed for the last two months.

Seriously though. Somebody could make a decent pocket change if he/she started selling these on ebay. It's just painted plastic and shouldn't cost more than a dollar each to make in China or Canada or New Jersey... anywhere.
Then put it up on Ebay for five bucks and charge ten bucks for shipping. I'd buy it as long as the paint matches my car. Hell, I'd buy it even if it's slightly off color.

I'm thinking I might just super glue the thing. Unless I'm mistaken, the tow hook is for towing something with your vehicle. I have never towed anything in my ten plus years of driving experience, and I've done my fair share of moving.
What the hell am I going to tow with a 40+ thousand dollar car? Seriously, has anyone seen a bimmer towing a trailer? That would be a pretty funny sight actually.
you seriously havent seen one?
there was a thread with a picture of 335i with tow hook attached to a trailer.
he was amazed with the torque output of 335i. it was quite funny but i guess it works

there's not much you can do...i am definately against that glueing idea but it's your car. i'd get another one to see how long it lasts before someone steals. tough call...tough call.
Appreciate 0