proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

06-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
BMW ///M Friends in Notre Dame/South Bend, IN

Hey everyone! It's looking like I'll be heading to the University of Notre Dame this coming fall to further my academic career at the Law School (I'm waitlisted at a couple of other schools, but I've placed a deposit with Notre Dame and am extremely excited).

That being said, I've never had my M3 in real 'winter.' I got the car in Maryland, but during the spring, and soon after had her back home in Los Angeles. I will most likely be shipping the car in the Fall and driving back to Los Angeles for summers (where I will by trying to secure intern and externships during my law school career and it is where I ultimately want to begin my professional career post law school) [I've lived in LA my whole life minus 4 years at Hopkins in Baltimore, where I had a car only my last year].

So... I'm wondering what the BMW community is like out here (currently in South Bend visiting the law school for an admitted students day tomorrow).

I also know that I will need to invest in a GOOD set of winter tires. Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. I'm not planning on doing much snow driving (wherever I choose to live will have to have a covered parking lot), but I want to make sure that I can drive more comfortably in heavy rain and small (*very small*) amounts of snow.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to meeting some bimmerpost members if I move down here this august!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Halewafa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO/SO M4

(Almost) Welcome to Indiana! I moved out here exactly 2 years ago from LA as well (after graduating from USC, BOOOOOOOO Notre Dame!). I'm living in Fishers though (near Indianapolis). Never drove in snow before moving here, except for snowboard trips to big bear/mammoth, but always had chains on my car. Haven't expereienced it with the ///M yet (ED on 6/14), so this will be my first winter experimenting with it.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

M3/M4 is good in the snow with winter tires. I've always driven all my rides w/ high horsepower and RWD all year round. Get some winter tires, I've used Dunlop and Blizzaks, and you'll be fine. If u notice you're still sliding around too much than add some weight in the trunk on snow days (I put 2- 45lb plates) and you'll get much better traction. Oh yeah, u get to drift w/o running ur tires
      06-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halewafa View Post
(Almost) Welcome to Indiana! I moved out here exactly 2 years ago from LA as well (after graduating from USC, BOOOOOOOO Notre Dame!). I'm living in Fishers though (near Indianapolis). Never drove in snow before moving here, except for snowboard trips to big bear/mammoth, but always had chains on my car. Haven't expereienced it with the ///M yet (ED on 6/14), so this will be my first winter experimenting with it.
Thank you for the welcome! USC Law is another one of my choices, although I'm on the waitlist there. Many of my friends went there for undergrad and had amazing experiences ... sadly I've heard differently regarding their law program. Being in LA currently, it would be more convenient if I were to get in (although I do have a deposit on housing in South Bend and a deposit down at Notre Dame )

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
M3/M4 is good in the snow with winter tires. I've always driven all my rides w/ high horsepower and RWD all year round. Get some winter tires, I've used Dunlop and Blizzaks, and you'll be fine. If u notice you're still sliding around too much than add some weight in the trunk on snow days (I put 2- 45lb plates) and you'll get much better traction. Oh yeah, u get to drift w/o running ur tires
Glad to hear! The housing I've put a deposit down on has a fully covered garage and is in walking distance from the school, so I hopefully won't have to do too much snow driving (especially when it gets bad), but it is good to know that with a good set of winter tires and some weight in the trunk I'll be capable. Gotta love drifting Gotta find some empty parking lots
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
Domer88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 SO F80, '07 Arctic 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Go Irish!

When I was at ND for BS and MS degrees, I drove really crappy FWD cars, so I can't speak to the M.

But hills there are rare, so with a decent set of tires you'll be fine.
      06-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer88 View Post
Go Irish!

When I was at ND for BS and MS degrees, I drove really crappy FWD cars, so I can't speak to the M.

Thanks! My off campus housing option is right across the street from the school (probably like a 10 min or so walk to the law school), so I'll drive when I'm lazy and most likely leave my car in the garage when the winter gets back (I'll still invest in a good set of winter tires as well... will keep miles off of the MPSSs as well haha).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halewafa View Post
Hey! I'm in Fishers too!

Last year and the year before, the winters were very modest here in Indy. I got by with Dunlop Wintersport's on my old M235i. However, the year before that was terrible in terms of snow accumulation.. I think we have a very big one coming this year. With that said, I am going to chance it with the M3 and do the Dunlop's again this year.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2016, 02:36 AM   #8
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer88
Go Irish!

Are there any cars & coffee events near the area? Definitely willing to drive 45-1hour into Michigan /Indiana/illinois suburbs on a Sunday morning. Jump start my studying hahah
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #9
Domer88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
There is one that normally meets on the northside of Indy. This Saturday it's meeting at the Indianapolis Speedway (or so I saw on twitter).

I think they meet Saturdays from 10-12 at Gator Motorsports.

The drive from SB to Indy is much shorter than it used to be. The state built bypasses around the speedtrap cities of La Paz and Lakeville, and also around Kokomo, which i think prides itself on poorly timed traffic lights. i go up for games a lot and can get up there in well under two hours.
      06-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
I am moving from Salt Lake City to Carmel in early July. Good to know there are some people in the area already (Fishers is really close). i have family in the South Bend area so i will be around there a lot in the summer as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Domer88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Welcome to Carmel!