E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i starting noise

05-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
Pierre_za
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2010

325i starting noise

Hi guys, 6 months ago my 2010 325i developed a strange starter sound where on a cold start there would be either a laggy or 'skipping' sound at the end of the starting procedure just before the engine starts.

The audio clip below exhibits it, about 1/3 into the clip one can hear a skipping sound that's not normally there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o1z0pbbt2...Noise.mp3?dl=0

Reading up pointed to fuel pressure regulator; had the dealers investigate (still under MP) but apparently the regulator is fine and they couldn't reproduce the problem as it only happens on cold start. They blamed & replaced battery which didn't help, but a week later the problem disappeared and remained gone for 5 months until now.

What's also weird is that it only seems to happen when the car is parked undercover(!). When parked outside, even for a couple of days or after an icy night or hot day, it starts perfectly. However, a few hours in a parking garage is enough to make it happen.

There are no other symptoms aside from this. Normally the easiest would be to wait until it gets worse, but my MP expires in 3 weeks and it would be great if I can have whatever is wrong fixed while I'm still covered.. any ideas appreciated.
Appreciate 0