E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tracking down a vibration in the steering wheel

05-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black

Tracking down a vibration in the steering wheel

Okay, so here's what I've had done so far. Each time the vibration seems to get slightly better but then reappears at a higher speed.

1) Had front brakes replaced (warped rotors)
2) Alignment
3) Rotate and balanced all wheels

Yet I'm still getting a slight vibration in the steering wheel around 80mph.

2011 328i 77K miles. Also, recently I had the oil/filter changed, spark plugs changed, replaced OFHG, VCG & OPG. I'm at a loss, need suggestions/opinions. P.S. All work has been performed by the dealer (I have an extended warranty).

Last edited by cybermgm23; 05-16-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

When you balance your wheels, try to get them road force blanaced instead of the traditional spinning thing balancer, this can take car of some weird vibrations that cant be solved with the traditional wheel balancer even when it reports the wheel as balanced.

Once this is done, make sure that the mating face of the whee where if sits on the rotor is clean and free of dirt or rust or anything. Even a small sand peble crushed on the edge of the mating area can offset the wheel sitting flush and true vs the rotor and will cause vibrations at some speeds.

If all the above is checked and not a possible problem then look into worn bushings.

Start with the front wishbones, the are of flimsy design and prone to failure.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Check your fluid filled thrust arm bushings.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
JMonaco7
335 / JB4 / FMIC / CP / AFE / Eibach
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Are you still running OEM wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your replies. I need to add a small caveat...the vibration seems to be intermittent. I took the car back out today and noticed that it only seems to happen on certain types of road surfaces vs. others. Could it simply be that I'm not used to runflat tires? I've only had the car for 1 month and I've heard that they can be fickle.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonaco7 View Post
Are you still running OEM wheels?
yes, 17" stock rims with continental runflats.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Are you sure none of your wheels are bent?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphss View Post
Are you sure none of your wheels are bent?
How would I know? Wouldn't they have noticed this when the rotated/balanced all the wheels last week?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Check your wheel bearings. I've had 75-80mph vibration 3 separate times and it ended up being the wheel bearings 2/3 times.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Thrust arms, control arms, bent wheels, road force balance, and also wheel bearings. Those would be the next few things I'd look at. I'm changing my thrust arms Saturday. I've done everything else at this point. I got it done to a very small minimum lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermgm23 View Post
How would I know? Wouldn't they have noticed this when the rotated/balanced all the wheels last week?
Depends where/how you had them rotated and balanced. A slightly bent wheel can balance out just fine on a standard balancer. A good road force balancer can detect a bent wheel, but I had an issue in the past where a shop claimed to road force balance my wheels but failed to detect slight bends in 2 of them. To that shops credit, when I told them I still had a vibration they said to bring them in for a complimentary rebalance, and the second time around they detected the bend, so it may have just been a poor operator.

I would not start swapping out bushings and control arms until you are 100% certain your wheels are straight, true, and properly balanced. If you go back to your tire shop and tell them there's still a vibration they should be more than happy to toss them on the balancer for you. That would be the time to ask about a road force balance.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #12
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post
Depends where/how you had them rotated and balanced. A slightly bent wheel can balance out just fine on a standard balancer. A good road force balancer can detect a bent wheel, but I had an issue in the past where a shop claimed to road force balance my wheels but failed to detect slight bends in 2 of them. To that shops credit, when I told them I still had a vibration they said to bring them in for a complimentary rebalance, and the second time around they detected the bend, so it may have just been a poor operator.

I would not start swapping out bushings and control arms until you are 100% certain your wheels are straight, true, and properly balanced. If you go back to your tire shop and tell them there's still a vibration they should be more than happy to toss them on the balancer for you. That would be the time to ask about a road force balance.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll take it back down to the dealership next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
BM91
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2012 Mercedes E550 Wagon

is your car lowered? Ive had my tires balanced by multiple shops, the results always ended with vibrations throughout my car. After multiple disappointments I finally took my car to a place which specializes in racing/track vehicles. The guys there knew what they were doing and since my car is lowered with H&R Sport springs they balanced the tires with the appropriate specs. The results are night and day, thanks to them my car drives beautifully now.
I suggest a shop that specializes in special vehicles, as the general tire shop as well as dealerships tend to have inexperienced mechanics as well as only have by the book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBMB View Post
is your car lowered? Ive had my tires balanced by multiple shops, the results always ended with vibrations throughout my car. After multiple disappointments I finally took my car to a place which specializes in racing/track vehicles. The guys there knew what they were doing and since my car is lowered with H&R Sport springs they balanced the tires with the appropriate specs. The results are night and day, thanks to them my car drives beautifully now.
I suggest a shop that specializes in special vehicles, as the general tire shop as well as dealerships tend to have inexperienced mechanics as well as only have by the book knowledge.

Thanks for the tip. No my car isn't lowered, but this vibration at highway speeds is really annoying. And frustrating.
Appreciate 0