E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Smoking, oil in cylinder #3

05-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

Smoking, oil in cylinder #3

Car has begun smoking in the last two weeks, mostly when creeping forward in traffic when oil is warmest. Doesn't smoke when doing a pull other than a puff when I shift. I figured I should start with the turbos but I think they may look ok.

Also I changed the plugs a month ago and #3 had oil on threads and head. Wasn't sure if it was from fill or possible valve cover. I pulled the plug today on cold engine, sitting 24 hrs and it looks as if oil is in the combustion chamber, what does this mean?

Rear turbo - looks ok to me?

Front turbo

Zoomed in - looks to be a little oil behind turbine wheel, is the seal going?

The front turbo also has oil on the body where the rear is basically dry.

The scary thing to me is this spark plug

Opinions on if the spark plug or front turbo is likely contributor to smoking? Also I have RB PCV and BMS CC. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

To me, the spark plug is ok. The electrodes are clean and there is no evidence of miss-fires. The oil is from the well that the plug sits in as far as I can tell.

I don't like the evident oil in the pics of the rear turbo, behind the turbine wheel.
Appreciate 0