E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Still getting P0015 for 2 weeks - Very frustrated

05-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
avin83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

Still getting P0015 for 2 weeks - Very frustrated

Hello,

I had yellow check engine light a while ago and OBD gave the following code:

P0015 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1

I did some search on e90post forum as well as some e90 DIY guides how to tackle this problem and have done the following steps:

1. Cleaned and swapped VANOS solenoids -> still getting the exact same code.

2. Replaced camshaft position sensor on the exhaust side. I changed it with a little help from my mechanic -> still getting the exact same code.

It is been more than 2 weeks to have the yellow light. The car sometimes have a rough idle at stop but it does not stall... but the problem needs to be solve before it gets worse. I have cleared the codes few times and it is still coming back. Is there no other way but to take my car to stealership?

My car (2006 323i, 67k miles) recently had several problems (VCG and plugs replaced, car does not go straight probably due to alignment, tensioner pulley problem and the yellow light with P0015) after 4 months of ownership... It is really frustrating and I am thinking whether I should sell my car

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Cam pos sensor: If I am correct there are two of these on the N52 and they are the same part.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3736
Part #3

That means you can swap them and see if the problem moves to the other "bank". I know you just bought a new one but sometimes parts are bad out of the box.

Rough Idle:
I would check ALL vacuum connections/hoses, the CCV, and the DISA. Also, inspect coils for cracks & corrosion. If they have never been changed they are pretty old.

Changing a VCG at that age is normal.

TRACKING: If car does not track straight you really need to start by having a COMPETENT alignment shop look at it. TELL them what is happening, and go hang out in the bay with them if you can.

You have a ten year old car, at this point maintenance happens one of two ways, preventively or correctively (that's PM or CM for the military wrench turner).
You should look hard at the cooling sys, suspension, gaskets, CCV, engine electrical, etc and start saving money/obtaining parts.
And/or get a AAA membership - you didn't buy a Toyota, there's a price that comes with that.

I had a N52 on my 2007 Z4Si. It was an awesome car/engine, but I kept a close eye on it and before I sold it I swapped out RTABs/FCABs, coils plugs. I had planned on a swap for entire cooling system(less radiator most likely), engine mounts, VCG, Solenoid cleaning, DISA inspect/R&R, etc.

While I have a AAA membership its only been used on my daughters(used to be mine) 2003 330i, for just a flat - I've done bunches of PM on this car.
Good Luck
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 1