BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

04-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Any DIY for rear subframe bushings?

I am going to do this soon. Have done it on other BMW, but always like to read about the job first when possible. Present plan is to disconnect parking brake cables at handbrake, remove calipers and hang them if possible or disconnect the brake lines if not, and lower complete subframe with diff and axles. Putting poly pushings in so install will be easier than removal, which will require cutting since I cannot use my press unless I remove everything from the subframe and that is more work. Doing diff bushings as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067674
      04-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks. That will help get me started.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
2K11SGCoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I have ordered diff bushings from Turner Motorsports and am waiting for MRF Engineering to complete a new batch of solid subframe bushings.

Just one question for those of you doing this yourselves, how did you index the rear subframe to the front subframe of your car? Sounds as though a jig or frame tool is recommended to ensure that the subframe gets fastened to the unibody properly aligned.

I realize that the vehicle suspension will require being aligned following this procedure, but how do you ensure the subframe is not installed misaligned while doing this job as a DIY?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K11SGCoupe View Post
I have ordered diff bushings from Turner Motorsports and am waiting for MRF Engineering to complete a new batch of solid subframe bushings.

Just one question for those of you doing this yourselves, how did you index the rear subframe to the front subframe of your car? Sounds as though a jig or frame tool is recommended to ensure that the subframe gets fastened to the unibody properly aligned.

I realize that the vehicle suspension will require being aligned following this procedure, but how do you ensure the subframe is not installed misaligned while doing this job as a DIY?
I can't speak about the rear of the car, but I fully dropped the front to do my rod bearings and it only bolts back up to the frame of the car one way. It's wedge shaped, so you can't get it wrong. The bolts are different sizes too, so you can't even fuck that up if you wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I am confident realignment will be sufficient for my street use. There is some play in mounting and a jig to "square" all the holes would be ideal and for a race car maybe more important.
Appreciate 0