E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crankcase breather 320d E91 -09?

04-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Gaspo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 320D -2009

Crankcase breather 320d E91 -09?

Hello guys i know there's not to many diesel BMW engines running in the us. But I will give my question a go.

I have a 320d E91 and I wonder about the crankcase breather. As I had understand it is built in to the valve cover and works completely different than regular crankcase breathers. Post nr seven in this thread is what it looks like:http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442397. And as you se there's a pipe on it. On that pipe there is a hose that goes done to the hose frome the air box up to the turbo.

My question is that it come some oil from the valve cover pipe in to the hose that goes down to the hose from the air box. When i unmont that hose I se some oil in the air box hose bottom. I changed the hose that goes frome the valve cover the old one was all dirty and oily. The new one has been clean. But today i saw that a tiny tiny bit of oil had leaked at the upper side of the hose. Maybe it's bad construction or so.

But my maine consern is the oil. I have read a little bit about crankcase breathers and some say it normal that it comes oil frome it.

I hope you guys understand my poor english hard to explain when your not that good on it :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 04:01 AM   #2
Nodrog29
Lover of fast estate cars
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI M340i (due Sept 22)

I'm having similar issues with a 2009 E91 320d as well, I noticed oil around the pipe from the crankcase breather to the air intake. I think its also the cause of a bit of oil being around the bottom of the charge hoses on the hot and cold side of the intercooler. I originally thought the turbo was the cause of the oil but the turbo is fine and the source of the leak is the pipe you were talking about.

I've replaced the pipe but I don't think there was much wrong with the original one. All the guides on crankcase breathers relate to older M47 engines and I haven't seen a single mention of the N47 engine.

I chatted to a guy at BMW and he said you need to replace the entire rocker cover as the crankcase breather is non-serviceable. I have also got excessive crankcase pressure as I can feel the exhaust pulses through the oil filler cap and the dipstick. I'm hoping its crankcase breather related and not worn piston rings although I don't know what could be blocked as it's the venture type and it looks fine when I take the small circular cap off next to the oil filler cap.

Do you have normal crankcase pressure on your 320d?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
Chippy1950
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d 184bhp

Hi, I'am having the same issues as you explain. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue with excessive air being felt when the filler cap was open. The air is strong on my car and pulsating as you explained. Was is the piston rings in the end?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 01:53 AM   #4
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

You need to change the valve cover gasket. Over time they go hard and brittle.

The Turbo pressure can then push air past the gasket as the crankcase breather system is built into the valve cover. This can pressurise the crankcase and push oil out through the breather system and through the turbo. Fills the whole intercooler/turbo system with oil eventually.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
Chippy1950
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d 184bhp

Thank P14kle
8000miles ago the valve cover + gasket was replaced with genuine OEM parts from BMW.
I have recently noticed that oil is leaking from the rear corner and also sitting in the injector wells again but it has taken a lot of miles to do this as I have been keeping an eye on it
I am going to look at replacing the gasket again and seeing if it hold better this time. Is there anything else to look at which could be causing this issue.?
Appreciate 0