E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Stupid Women Drivers

03-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
ettil
ugh
Rep
Drives: broken 328ix

Stupid Women Drivers

Ha! Got your attention didn't I? I need some tire opinions (rather common topic right now isn't it?).

Cruising home Sat night on the Dulles Toll Rd ramp from 66 when I find a lovely crater that wasn't there Tuesday. So my front driver's tire has met its end.

No I didnt get tire/wheel insurance as I was told they'd only pay for the damaged tire, not the 2 or 4 I would need should something happen. To my credit if I may, this is the first time I've had a flat on the road and second flat ever.

So...
1 - Continue w/RFTs? I was actually pretty amazed at how well the tire performed considering it blew out at the bead. Before I was planning on ditching the RFTs when their time was up.

2 - 2 or 4? Anyone have experience only replacing 2 tires on a AWD? I did this once on the p-car and it was not pretty.

3 - ditch the RFTs and go w/a real tire. What non-winter tires are you running? I only have experience w/PS2s for the last few sets.

opinions? what are your local experiences? new wheels are NOT an option. this is my "practical" car and needs to stay that way.
      03-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
If you ditch the RFTs, you need to think about what to do in case of a flat.
- you cold get the mobility kit
- get a spare and tool

Lots of such discussions in the wheel/tire forum.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ettil View Post
Cruising home Sat night on the Dulles Toll Rd ramp from 66 when I find a lovely crater that wasn't there Tuesday. So my front driver's tire has met its end.
LOL at the thread title, then seeing it's you posting.

I think I know EXACTLY what you hit, and it has actually been there for a few weeks now. It's huge. Bummer that you hit it.

I drive that route every morning, and there are three major potholes right where you merge onto the toll road. Two are on the side where you can go to 495, the third and largest is in one of the lanes to go onto the toll road. I know where they are and still feel like I swerve every day to avoid them. They're right in the line you'd normally take.

So many damn potholes around here. I always try to keep them in mind as I'm driving. I-66 is no picnic as it is.
      03-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
ettil
ugh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
If you ditch the RFTs, you need to think about what to do in case of a flat.
- you cold get the mobility kit
- get a spare and tool

Lots of such discussions in the wheel/tire forum.
Yes I've spent a chunk of time in the wheel/tire forum, actually spent a good bit of time reading in there before I even got my car Just looking at what people around here have done.

And I was thinking inflatable spare as it just cracks me up (that along w/velcro rear seats).
      03-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
ettil
ugh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
I think I know EXACTLY what you hit, and it has actually been there for a few weeks now. It's huge. Bummer that you hit it.

I drive that route every morning, and there are three major potholes right where you merge onto the toll road. Two are on the side where you can go to 495, the third and largest is in one of the lanes to go onto the toll road. I know where they are and still feel like I swerve every day to avoid them. They're right in the line you'd normally take.

So many damn potholes around here. I always try to keep them in mind as I'm driving. I-66 is no picnic as it is.
This was around (maybe just after) the first emergency cut through heading west, closer to 66 than 267, left lane. You're probably right that it's been there for a few weeks but I drove it on Tuesday in the downpour, same lane and if it was there, such is my luck and pattern that I should have hit it then

Thanks for the heads up on the other potholes. I'm usually entering/exiting the toll road from 495 so those are the ones committed to memory I'm just waiting on the left lane before toll plaza hole to reopen...
      03-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ Sounds like I'm talking about a different area. Given the HUGE size of the one (colored in red below, and in the center lane), I figured it had to be one and the same. The two colored in yellow are in the right lane.

But I checked the map, and I was confused -- the 66 exit you mention is a bit further away. Now I know to keep an eye out there, too. So many potholes around here lately.
Attached Images

03-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
ettil
ugh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
^^ Sounds like I'm talking about a different area. Given the HUGE size of the one (colored in red below, and in the center lane), I figured it had to be one and the same. The two colored in yellow are in the right lane.

But I checked the map, and I was confused -- the 66 exit you mention is a bit further away. Now I know to keep an eye out there, too. So many potholes around here lately.

Yeah this was not the same one. Smaller but very deep, left lane. Thanks for graphic I might be heading home that way tonight or next week and know what to look for
      03-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
ettil
ugh
Rep

now why do tires have to be so expensive? and why did i need 8 all at once?