E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Service Engine Soon Light Code 0430 and 0420

04-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
huckh2o
huckh2o
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Service Engine Soon Light Code 0430 and 0420

I just did the Oil filter housing gasket following the pelican parts instructions on my finances 2006 330xi. I found green coolant when i disconnected the hose so i followed the pelican parts coolant flush diy...and i'll probably do another one here before too long. it must have happened when a water pump job was done recently by an indy shop...that got good reviews. I did my first oil change on this vehicle also. It was really dirty.

I did remove the airbox for easier access. I stored the airbox in my house with the outlet opening covered with a non powdered latex glove. I ended up replacing the upper rad hose because the O-ring that on the oil filter housing end was really swollen and not even close to fitting.

After doing the coolant bleed procedure twice I let the engine idle for like 6-10mins to get an oil reading.

I was very alarmed when the 4x4 with a circle around it popped up on the dash. after some quick googling I realized I had to do reset the steering angle by turning the wheel from lock to lock.

After that I took it for a test drive.

Everything went well on my 30 min test drive up into the mountains.

I parked it overnight and there was no leaking fluid so i told my finance she could drive it to work. About 10 mins into her drive (the same route i had done the night before) the service engine soon yellow light came on.

She had the code read at autozone before work and it came up 0420 and 0430. catalyst system below efficiency bank1 and catalyst system below efficiency bank2.

Where should I start troubleshooting this problem? I don't have any scan tool yet... so i understand I may have to buy one. I've been thinking about the bavarian technic tool.

Could i have gotten the MAF dirty when I removed the airbox? How do you guys recommend proceeding in pinpointing the issue.
      04-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
huckh2o
huckh2o
United_States
Rep

Can anyone who has the the Bavarian technic tool tell me if it gives live o2 sensor readings? I'm guessing I'll need to see those values to pinpoint my issue?

I've never had any scan tool/software before. It would be great to see what you have to say about the bavtech system.

I'm considering the bav tech system because it seems to have a lot more bmw specific functionality than a generic obd2 code reader and it's not exceedingly expensive. I'll be using this for my finances 2006 330xi and my moms 2003 325xi.

I have an obd1 Suzuki sidekick... All you need to read the code in that thing is a paper clip... So at this point in time I don't really need to be able to scan cars of other makes and models.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
huckh2o
huckh2o
United_States
Rep

So after driving for a few days the light SES light went out... no new codes. so i guess i'll be saving for some o2 sensor and cats in case these codes show up again.