THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Vinyl flat black trim

04-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Vinyl flat black trim

After seeing a couple of people on here changing their trim, i decided to take a stab at it. I was originally going to go with Alcantara such as:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233139

AND

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246531

Those two did a great job. But before i went that route, i decided to try out Flat black vinyl wrap. It's fairy cheap material, and if i didn't like it, i can peel off without damaging the OEM trim finish.

3M UV protected vinyl wrap was used (usually for exterior car wrap)

Taking out all the trim from the car was very easy and only took about 15 to 20 minutes.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I'm sure this is not everyone's cup of tea, but i personally love it! If anything it protects scratches against the OEM trim.
Appreciate 3
      04-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Yeah, nice job. Looks sharp.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

I like it. I originally thought that it would be too monotone. But keeping the blue accent and some of the silver accents was a good choice, and the variety of textures and the stiching you have help breakup all the black. Well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #4
Wasko
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Great job

Good to see more people doing this with different styles/ideas.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Amack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: EB 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
After seeing a couple of people on here changing their trim, i decided to take a stab at it. I was originally going to go with Alcantara such as:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233139

AND

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246531

Those two did a great job. But before i went that route, i decided to try out Flat black vinyl wrap. It's fairy cheap material, and if i didn't like it, i can peel off without damaging the OEM trim finish.

3M UV protected vinyl wrap was used (usually for exterior car wrap)

Taking out all the trim from the car was very easy and only took about 15 to 20 minutes.

I'm sure this is not everyone's cup of tea, but i personally love it! If anything it protects scratches against the OEM trim.
Looking good mate!

Glad more people are stepping outside the box and getting creative. Glad you liked us Aussie guys jobs.

Problem is once you do these parts, you start wanting to do more haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
omega145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 Xdrive

As if your interior couldn't get any better...anyone have a DIY for removing interior pieces?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:50 AM   #7
chihao
Enlisted Member
Rep

Really NICE! Love your cloth seats, too! Do you like them better than leather?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post
As if your interior couldn't get any better...anyone have a DIY for removing interior pieces?
Door Handle Bars, front two vent trims, long center trim, and bottom shifter trim pull right out without any screws.

Door Handles – Start at the bottom (there is a slot you can sig your fingers in) and pull, then use some plastic panel removal tools and work your way up (these handles are a pain, and sounds like it breaks when you take it off)
Front two vent trim – Open the doors, and pull with your hands on the edge. They should pop right out with ease.
Center long trim – This one is tricky as there is no good gap to use any plastic tools safely. Open the center console lid, get a good grip with both hands and pull upwards. It should pop right out. (there is a small hook towards the dash, so SLIGHTLY pull towards the rear and up, but NOT all the way. The Stereo controls are bolted down by 3 Torx screws. Remove the torx screws to free up the control
Bottom shifter trim – The silver piece alone does not come out, it is removed with the black bit as well. Once long center trim is removed, with your fingers, reach in and pop it out from the inside out

Steering wheel trim and shifter surround trim has screws:

Shifter Surround Trim – Remove the small black cover with the R-N-D logo in it (use plastic panel removal with super thin edges, or use a credit card) It is help by a thin double sided tape. Use a Torx-T8 size tool to remove small screw. Once removed, the surround shifter trim will come right off

Steering Wheel – DISCONNET BATTERY , remove airbag by inserting a screw driver into the holes on the side of the steering column, push in and it’ll pop out; you’ll need to do it on both sides one at a time (no need to disconnect air bag, but it would be easier if you did). There are 3 T10 or T15 torxs screw holding the trim and the black plastic. Two you’ll see right where the airbag was, and the other is behind the steering wheel. Once trim black\silver trim is removed, CAREFULLY, unclip the silver trim from the rear by pushing the tabs in (you’ll see how it is being help). Once removed, you can actually put the black trim and airbag back together (DO NOT FORGET TO CONNECT AIR BAG BACK), the silver trim will clip back on with everything installed.

I wish I had taken detailed pictures. (I will be removing my steering wheel to swap out with an Alcantara one soon so I’ll have a write up for that process)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihao View Post
Really NICE! Love your cloth seats, too! Do you like them better than leather?
I love the cloths simply because it has "character" vs. just a basic colored seat. Keeps warm in the Winters and cool in the Summers. I also do not slide as much in these compared to leather.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Looks amazing man!

Question. I've seen that interior before with the blue mesh instead of just plain leather. What package that? I'm incredibly envious.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Looks amazing man!

Question. I've seen that interior before with the blue mesh instead of just plain leather. What package that? I'm incredibly envious.
It's actually a standard option over seas called Cloth/Alcantara interior (an option not available in North America) I just call it EuroSpec Alcantara interior. I had to buy and import this interior in from Germany as BMW NA will only allow leather.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
omega145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 Xdrive

That interior is the most striking mod I've came across on this entire forum and interiors don't usually tickle my fancy that much. I'd never think to spend the kind of money I'm sure that you did and would have rather done other exterior or power mods but it's so well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:14 AM   #12
cmiller219
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I just ordered the carbon fiber vinyl and gonna give this a try. I have never messed with vinyl before so we will see.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #13
Blk Thing
Private
Rep

Where could i get paddle shifters like those?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:24 AM   #14
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
While everyone is praising, for some reason the pictures must not be doing the results any justice. It appears more like a plasticy feel now? But that's just me, please spare my ignorance. *shrugs* I ended up choosing High-Gloss Black.... wonder how it will hold up against people's inability to care about scuffing/scratching my car.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #15
r14ull
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk Thing View Post

http://www.autotecknic.com/product-p/bm-0164.htm

There you go! Seen a DIY fitting thread somewhere on here also
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #16
Blk Thing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r14ull
Quote:

http://www.autotecknic.com/product-p/bm-0164.htm

There you go! Seen a DIY fitting thread somewhere on here also
Thanks you!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #17
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks you!
haha yup, you'll also notice in their pictures, i gave them permission to use one of my photos

It states for the Current M series only, but they include the plastic backing so that it works perfectly with our steering wheels. The only thing you will need to buy at your local hardware store, are two Machine Screws size 6-32 X 3/8” (the 1/2” is a bit too long and will go through the other side of the plastic, ask me how I know )

Installation was pretty easy (about 20 mins total). The airbag is held by springs and not screws. Disconnect Battery; there are two little holes on the steering wheel sides. Use a screw driver and push those springs in to release the airbag (need to do both sides; a little tough at first but after force is applied you’ll get it out.)
Disconnect the airbag wires from the steering wheel (not the airbag itself). Use a star T (I forgot the number) to unscrew the main two paddle shifters. Release it from the module held by a pin and put on the new shifters.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #18
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
While everyone is praising, for some reason the pictures must not be doing the results any justice. It appears more like a plasticy feel now? But that's just me, please spare my ignorance. *shrugs* I ended up choosing High-Gloss Black.... wonder how it will hold up against people's inability to care about scuffing/scratching my car.
Yea the looks is not for everyone. I personally HATE glossy interior trim. In fact, i'm glad i got the 2014 due to its flat black OEM AC\Heating trim as the 2015+ trim is glossy. On previous cars when i look for aftermarket stereo, i look for non-glossy trim and buttons (hard to find, but they're out there)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #19
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
Yea the looks is not for everyone. I personally HATE glossy interior trim. In fact, i'm glad i got the 2014 due to its flat black OEM AC\Heating trim as the 2015+ trim is glossy. On previous cars when i look for aftermarket stereo, i look for non-glossy trim and buttons (hard to find, but they're out there)
Yes for sure hence why these cars can be personalized! For personal preferences. Thank goodness for customization from BMW. I honestly hate how other auto makers are limited to just trim package. For example, the Honda Civic has several trim packages which denoted their options/features included however it's not like you can choose to add Nav but no sunroof etc.

Unfortunately for us Canadians we are limited to choices. My M235i order package allowed me only 3 package options: Premium pkg, executive pkg, MPE, but allowed me to choose interior looks. Ie. leather colours, trim colour, wheel choice along with run flats or not. Without additional fee too........
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 04:38 AM   #20
StLuis51
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3; 2023 X3MC

Looks great. Awesome job. Have you ever worked with vinyl before? How much vinyl did you buy/use for the job? What is a good online store to get this from (in carbon fiber)? I want to do this but never worked with vinyl before.
Appreciate 0