E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > LUK 'OEM'

04-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Illoosive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

LUK 'OEM'

Anybody know about these parts, they're labeled under OEM, are they good?
Replacing power steering pump.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

My power steering pump on the engine installed from factory has LUK logo on it, yours probably too.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Luk is the company that makes the Power Steering pumps for a lot of BMWs that are installed at the factory... Not sure if you knew but BMW makes very few of the parts that are under the hoods of these cars themselves.

Many parts are made by Bosch, Luk, Continental, Rein, etc etc. Bosch seems to be one of the main parts providers for BMW from what i can tell.

Anyway yea Luk is a high quality part. So i assume you are buying from a place like FCP Euro or similar that tells you if its "Genuine BMW" or OEM or Aftermarket as the parts label.
Essentially this is a breakdown of what each label roughly means:

Genuine BMW: This part comes in a BMW labeled box and is most likely made by a 3rd party. Top notch quality. You pay top dollar of course.
OEM: This part is made by the same mfg that makes the "genuine BMW" part but does not come in a BMW labeled box. Usually top notch quality. Cheaper than Genuine.
Aftermarket: made by another random mfg. Could be great quality or could be crap. Could be super cheap or super expensive.

Last edited by lookalikehuuh; 04-09-2016 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Illoosive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Luk is the company that makes the Power Steering pumps for a lot of BMWs that are installed at the factory... Not sure if you knew but BMW makes very few of the parts that are under the hoods of these cars themselves.

Many parts are made by Bosch, Luk, Continental, Rein, etc etc. Bosch seems to be one of the main parts providers for BMW from what i can tell.

Anyway yea Luk is a high quality part. So i assume you are buying from a place like FCP Euro or similar that tells you if its "Genuine BMW" or OEM or Aftermarket as the parts label.
Essentially this is a breakdown of what each label roughly means:

Genuine BMW: This part comes in a BMW labeled box and is most likely made by a 3rd party. Top notch quality. You pay top dollar of course.
OEM: This part is made by the same mfg that makes the "genuine BMW" part but does not come in a BMW labeled box. Usually top notch quality. Cheaper than Genuine.
Aftermarket: made by another random mfg. Could be great quality or could be crap. Could be super cheap or super expensive.
Thanks for the input, first German car so I'm not too familiar with the manufacturers of these parts. Good to know the main providers.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Illoosive
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
My power steering pump on the engine installed from factory has LUK logo on it, yours probably too.
That's good to know, the price is half of what the BMW OEM costs
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

There is usually a good price difference just for the BMW logo, the trick is to find the OEM provider. fcpeuro.com lists if a part is oem provider or not, and I have found their designation to be correct so far. ECS tuning doesn't explicitly say if a part is oem or not, but they usually have high quality part pictures on their sites, and comparing the BMW vs the others usually you can tell if it is same part or not with the BMW logo missing. Sometimes ECS even puts the same picture for BMW and OEM provider's part

But then there are exceptions to the , like I recently found the fuel filter/regulator with the BMW logo was cheaper than the OEM provider VDO, same part other than the logo printed on it. And BMW logo one was coming with the extra o-ring needed for the job.
Appreciate 0