F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Diesel DPF Regen
Studio RSR

03-18-2016, 03:40 AM   #1
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Diesel DPF Regen

Hi guys.

I am curious to find out more about the DPF Regeneration Process on the F30 320d. I have read on other forums that people can tell when regeneration is taking place when the car holds the revs on normal shifts, smell from the exhaust and also increased fuel consumption.

So on my last tank I have been trying to use as little as possible fuel for the longest possible range, and managed to get it up to a projected total range of about 850km in stop go traffic - something I am quite pleased about.

Then since yesterday, the range dropped dramatically to only 680km. I am thinking that the car is going through a regen process for the DPF - although I have been filling the last two tanks with 10ppm diesel.

My questions basically:
1) How do you tell if the vehicle is doing a regen
2) How often does it do a regen (suppose its dependant on the fuel type)
3) Is there any way to "assist" the regen by changing your driving style

I am taking her on a nice long journey to Capte Town - 1224km - so I am sure everything will be nice and "clean" when I get there.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

I've been under the impression that dpf regeneration is passive in the 2.0l turbo. Getting it good and hot is the regeneration process. If you cycles are lots of short trips the catalyst may not get up to sufficient temp to burn anything off.
For us, once up to temp on the highway we try to run it for 10min at higher rpm (3-4k) to generate more exhaust heat after each fill-up.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...le_filter.html
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber
I've been under the impression that dpf regeneration is passive in the 2.0l turbo. Getting it good and hot is the regeneration process. If you cycles are lots of short trips the catalyst may not get up to sufficient temp to burn anything off.
For us, once up to temp on the highway we try to run it for 10min at higher rpm (3-4k) to generate more exhaust heat after each fill-up.

I did see on the parts catalogue that there are various pressure sensors in the DPF so this tells me the car monitors the back pressure. If that increases it goes into a regen cycle...

As per the URL you attached.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post

It may be different for the other models, but for me (435d) i never had to "force" a regen like that.

I regularly checked the regeneration status in Rheingold (ISTA-D) and I had never a regen take place more than 500-600km ago.

I do drive aggressively, but never hold the RPMs up like that more than a few seconds.

I would suggest getting your hand on an Enet cable and a Rheingold instance and you can check for yourselves.

I haven't tried, but I think you can even manually trigger one.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album

Last edited by stormlv; 03-18-2016 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post
I did see on the parts catalogue that there are various pressure sensors in the DPF so this tells me the car monitors the back pressure. If that increases it goes into a regen cycle...

As per the URL you attached.
I think you are correct that there is active regeneration when required. I spoke with BMWNA and the dealer prior to vehicle purchase and they recommended the higher rpm run to regenerate. I was left with the mistaken impression that it was a 24/7 passive system, when it is actually a passive system except when its an active system.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
MissionPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
These cars have passive and active DPF regen. Active regen happens when "required" by the ecu, usually judged by DPF pressure. When this happens, you will notice slightly higher temperatures as well as reduced MPG. Also if your filter was really dirty, you will notice a little bit of smell.
Appreciate 0