E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What do you recommend maintenance wise?

02-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
Eddiee07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

What do you recommend maintenance wise?

So I bought a 2007 328i about 4 months ago, first thing I did was go to the dealership to get the oil change. The car currently has 127k miles on it, and is running perfectly fine as of right now. My question is what should be the next maintenance job I do? I was thinking of getting the coolant flushed soon any other tips?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I think you need to get a Maintenance history.

If nothing has been done,

Change all the fluids (break, power steering, differential, transmission, coolant)

Change the plugs & coils

Change the belts & pulleys

Look at when the electric water pump & thermostat was done; you may have to start putting money aside and start looking for deals on these parts.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Becken_e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E90 N51 6MT

Yes, I second that. I have a 52,000 miles on my 328 and I've changed all the fluids. I was able to do all on my own pretty easily. Spark plugs (as long as they come out) and coil packs are also a breeze. Air filter and cabin air filter may be something to at least inspect. If the battery is original, that may be at its end of life.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Are you wanting to just prevent a failure, or are you wanting to keep from getting stranded? Things like belts, coils, and water pumps generally won't hurt anything if they fail, you just get stranded. Some people just wait until they go. But other things, like changing most fluids, will prevent a failure from happening in the first place.

For me, I will always at least go by the manufacturer's recommended maintenance.

If you have no maintenance history, here's what I would go ahead and do: oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, plugs. Do brake and coolant when you get around to it. And check both engine and cabin air filters and replace if necessary. They are often overlooked.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Eddiee07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post
Are you wanting to just prevent a failure, or are you wanting to keep from getting stranded? Things like belts, coils, and water pumps generally won't hurt anything if they fail, you just get stranded. Some people just wait until they go. But other things, like changing most fluids, will prevent a failure from happening in the first place.

For me, I will always at least go by the manufacturer's recommended maintenance.

If you have no maintenance history, here's what I would go ahead and do: oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, plugs. Do brake and coolant when you get around to it. And check both engine and cabin air filters and replace if necessary. They are often overlooked.
I want to prevent failure. i am looking into getting the Car fax soon, but for now I think I am going to do the differential and trans flush. Just out of curiosity any idea how much they charge at the BMW dealership? I know it'll be pretty pricey and I have a buddy's shop who specializes in bmw but just want to see the price difference
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Yana and diff will be 1k+ at the dealer.

Quit going to the dealer. Financially, you'd be be better off just driving until the car fails, then buying a new one, than going to the dealer for all the things listed above. (3-4K at the dealer for everything above).

Look at the oil filter housing gasket and the valve cover gasket too.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiee07
Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post

I want to prevent failure. i am looking into getting the Car fax soon, but for now I think I am going to do the differential and trans flush. Just out of curiosity any idea how much they charge at the BMW dealership? I know it'll be pretty pricey and I have a buddy's shop who specializes in bmw but just want to see the price difference
The stealership would be the last place I would go.

Your better off finding a reputable local shop that works on European cars.

BMW will charge you $125.00 an hour.

A local shop that specializes in Volkswagen, BMW & Mercedes for example might charge you $80-90.00 an hour.

Everything mentioned above is DIY able and there are tons of videos on them. Just need the right tools.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Plugs, coolant, diff and trans are all 100,000 mile service intervals. Engine air filter is every third oil change (per BMW CBS OCI) so it can be as long as 45,000 miles. If you can't determine if these services have been performed then baseline the maintenance at 127K and go from there.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
egt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
Water pump.
Appreciate 0