THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Rear Trunk Spoiler

02-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Rus.K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW ZCP M3

Rear Trunk Spoiler

Is the BMW M Performance Rear Spoiler only come in CF for our 2 series? Do we not have the option to get a regular ABS one? I only ask because I want to get the MP spoiler but plan on painting it so I don't feel like the $400 MP CF is really worth it.

Can we use the 3 series spoiler?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #2
RDKing2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2004 M3

There is no other OEM optional spoiler than the CF MP spoiler. I purchased the MP spoiler and had it painted after I purchased and installed the aftermarket ABS version being sold. It is close to the MP but not the same. From what I can tell the ABS MP style spoiler being sold by venders on this site, elsewhere and ebay are all from the same manufacturer. Been meaning to put the EB ABS i took off in the FS section for some time now. You can get the RW carbon version and have it painted or contact Sun Motors for the best price on the real deal. I dealt with Brian.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

If your concern is what's the point in spending the cash if most of the value of the CF spoiler is aesthetic, I get it. If your concern is more ruining the value of the CF spoiler by painting it, would you consider wrapping it? That way, when it comes time to sell, you have an M perf CF spoiler that you can use as a selling point, and the buyer has the option of colored or CF.
      02-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
If your concern is what's the point in spending the cash if most of the value of the CF spoiler is aesthetic, I get it. If your concern is more ruining the value of the CF spoiler by painting it, would you consider wrapping it? That way, when it comes time to sell, you have an M perf CF spoiler that you can use as a selling point, and the buyer has the option of colored or CF.
hmmm wrapping it is interesting idea. a flat black wrap would match the other exterior trim parts like the diffuser and front lip...unlike painting it a gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
Rus.K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post
There is no other OEM optional spoiler than the CF MP spoiler. I purchased the MP spoiler and had it painted after I purchased and installed the aftermarket ABS version being sold. It is close to the MP but not the same. From what I can tell the ABS MP style spoiler being sold by venders on this site, elsewhere and ebay are all from the same manufacturer. Been meaning to put the EB ABS i took off in the FS section for some time now. You can get the RW carbon version and have it painted or contact Sun Motors for the best price on the real deal. I dealt with Brian.
Yeah I thought I saw someone on here use the 3 series rear ABS Spoiler and it fit almost perfectly. Its too bad BMW doesn't just make a straight replica of the MP CF in ABS to sell themselves. I just worry about fitment issues when ordering off Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
Yeah thats exactly it, I just dont feel like spending $400+ on a CF spoiler (your paying for the look) if I am just gonna cover it up. I have thought about wrapping the CF but then your getting close to $500 for a trunk spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yea but once you go thru the pain of removing the old one, cleaning and installing the new one you really want to do that again when you sell the car?

Not me....I put one of the e-bay painted on , sold the stock one and forgot it. Just say'n
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

I would personally go with a cheaper option if i could find one that fits as well as the BMW part. Be every picture I've seen of the cheaper spoilers always seems to be a little bit off at the end. From what I've seen, the BMW spoiler follows the edge of the trunk exactly, but all of the cheaper options curve in and leave a sliver of the top of the trunk uncovered.