BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

02-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
DR.Nefario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dakar Yellow M3

DIY:No Screws/ Magnetic Front Plate

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT IF YOUR PLATE IS MISSING ONE DAY. :goodluck:

With that said, if you only occasionally need the front plate and want to pop it on and off with no tools, this seems to work pretty well.

I originally tried the tow hook mounts but it stuck out too much and required a 10mm to remove and then re-install the tow hook cover. Not the end of the world, but it could be better.

Two really strong magnets 50x50x10mm for the plate and 50x50x20mm for the car.

The area around where the tow hook mounts is magnetic so I taped it to a tie down strap so I could pull it back out if need be.

It just fits and will latch onto the body of the car. You can cut of the ends of the strap and tuck it into the bumper.

Testing it out/lining up the magnet

Make sure the magnet is facing the right direction and on a good spot on the plate. I taped on the magnet to get it lined up and then epoxied it when I found a good spot.

Duct tape to be safe. After this I coated the entire back of the plate with Plastidip to avoid scratching anything.

Car wash test. Spun it, but it didn't knock it off.

Sits flush on the body.

It's good up to triple digits, anything more than that I'm on the track with the plate off anyway. You have to grab it right near the magnet with two hands and give it a decent tug to get if off. :shifty:
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
dlaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

That is actually a pretty awesome idea. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I've seen people do this with two rare earth magnets placed behind the center portion of the bumper and two behind the plate... That way it won't spin and it will stay in place and be centered on the bumper like oem.

Good ingenuity btw
Appreciate 0