THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications tinted my rear window; light refraction from headlights

01-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

tinted my rear window; light refraction from headlights

After doing some research on the various tint films, i had my car tinted with 3M Crystalline a few weeks ago. I'm pretty satisfied with the work, but after tinting, I'm seeing a lot of light refraction from headlights, which creates a striping pattern of light that is very annoying. This is with 50% film. I realize that this is due to the gaps/transitions between the defroster line/grid and the film itself. These days, I do 80% of my driving when it's dark so I feel that this is fairly significant issue for me. Has anyone else encountered this problem after tinting the rear window?

I've attached a photo of my rear window below.

Is this problem inferior workmanship?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
neilr_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexingv View Post
Is this problem inferior workmanship?
I don't think it is. My FR-S had it and my 228i has it. Both of them were tinted at a very highly recommended shop (each to a different shop). I didn't go poking at them before having my tint applied, but I'm certain the rear defroster wires are above the surface of the glass, making it very difficult (maybe even impossible, but I don't like to use that word) for the tint film to conform perfectly. I agree that the headlight refraction is annoying, but it stopped being distracting after a fairly short amount of time.

Another effect that you are likely to notice is a moire pattern on other flat pieces of glass, but only under certain conditions. Polarized sunglasses make this more apparent. I believe this is simple physics - two dissimilar materials refracting the light differently (optics wasn't my favorite topic in physics, so I can't be more specific). Like the rear window, this is noticeable, but not distracting (at least, not for long).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

I have 30% tint and experience this as well, and it isn't really distracting, just annoying. But not enough to remove the tint.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers

Last edited by chemh0ser; 01-19-2016 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i know that it can potentially be a big undertaking to remove the tint and possibly damage the defroster grid. when i spoke to my brother about his own tint job (an Infiniti G37 sedan) that was tinted with Pinnacle Formula 1, he had no such issues and suggested that the 3M film could be thicker (and thus not conform to the raised defroster lines as well) or a poor application of the film by an installer who is taking the time to minimize the gaps. it's all just a little frustrating as i do so much of driving in dark conditions (in an urban/city environment) and thus encounter a lot of oncoming headlights and associated refraction through the rear. there is a small (3-4 inch) section on this window that still has streaks from whatever solution/adhesive that is use during the application process so i may still bring it back.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

Quote:
i know that it can potentially be a big undertaking to remove the tint and possibly damage the defroster grid. when i spoke to my brother about his own tint job (an Infiniti G37 sedan) that was tinted with Pinnacle Formula 1, he had no such issues and suggested that the 3M film could be thicker (and thus not conform to the raised defroster lines as well) or a poor application of the film by an installer who is taking the time to minimize the gaps. it's all just a little frustrating as i do so much of driving in dark conditions (in an urban/city environment) and thus encounter a lot of oncoming headlights and associated refraction through the rear. there is a small (3-4 inch) section on this window that still has streaks from whatever solution/adhesive that is use during the application process so i may still bring it back.
Does your tint actually cover the defroster lines? I have Pinnacle on my 235, and don't have those gaps. Rear window tint is all one piece.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235-dmc View Post
Does your tint actually cover the defroster lines? I have Pinnacle on my 235, and don't have those gaps. Rear window tint is all one piece.
It's apparent to me in the attached image that the tint does cover the defroster lines. That's SOP at most tint shops, and it will cause refraction since the tint sits at an angle other than the window angle in those small areas.

Tint shops generally won't cut tint to accommodate defroster lines; there's too much potential for installation issues, both with the tint and with the defroster (i.e., if one of those lines is cut by an X-Acto or similar, the entire defroster won't work).

It's a tradeoff, OP -- just like it's a tradeoff to put tint on top of the matrix of dimples at the edges of many panes of car glass, including those on the 2-series. The tint simply can't heat-shrink around the dots completely, so it sits up above it. It doesn't look perfect, but the entire glass pane is tinted (so you don't have light leakage between the clear glass and the mounted edge).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235-dmc View Post
it is a one-piece application although my brother has told me some places will install tint in strips. of course, there may be issues with that as well as stated below. and my brother's car is also tinted with Pinnacle formula 1 and he says he does not have the same issue either. perhaps the pinnacle film is thinner or more care is taken when installing.

as for the dot matrix, that is usually on the periphery of the window and i actually havent had any trouble with that at all
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
it is a one-piece application although my brother has told me some places will install tint in strips. of course, there may be issues with that as well as stated below. and my brother's car is also tinted with Pinnacle formula 1 and he says he does not have the same issue either. perhaps the pinnacle film is thinner or more care is taken when installing.

as for the dot matrix, that is usually on the periphery of the window and i actually havent had any trouble with that at all
You don't have an issue with the dot matrix because it's not in your line of sight. But the same exact issue is applicable here.

Bottom line is no film is going to seat completely on nonflat surfaces, no matter what brand it is or how thin it is, and no matter how much care is taken with heat and curing.

Think if it this way: shrink wrap won't cover uneven surfaces completely no matter how much care is used -- even in manufacturing. Similarly, shrink tubing doesn't quite cover wiring smoothly, even when applied properly. The same basic theory applies with film, with an added element: adhesive.

It's just a tradeoff. Unless you want to pay for glass with chemically-applied tint coating (think sunglasses, but simpler) -- and I'm not even sure that's available on auto glass -- it's something that comes with the tint-film experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

When did you get it done? Mine looked like shit at first and as instructed I let it sit in the sun for a few weeks turned out perfect. Maybe tough this time of year though.
Appreciate 0