F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Expected or could be better?
proTUNING Freaks

11-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3series

Expected or could be better?

So after not hearing from dealership for a while I enquired as to how things were processing.
Fine still on for January delivery.

Great I though all still on track

I decided that I'd like to add heated steering wheel to my spec well just because really.
So I contacted the dealer and said I'd like to change the spec if possible and was told that they couldn't change it because it had already went to build status.

But shouldn't this mean I get the VIN at that point so I can track it if I wanted?

Does this seem like a fob off in terms of adding the heated steering wheel or is it bad service in terms of updates or am I just acting ridiculous ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I'm not surprised this is too late to change spec, mine was going to be built early March & a couple of days ago I added memory seats which has put the build back to first week of April!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I take it retrofitting a steering wheel is a ridiculous sum?!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

£300 for used wheel http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F2...oAAOSwEgVWRGnb minus whatever you can sell yours for.

Then i think you just need a new steering column cover with the button, then some coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehoss
So after not hearing from dealership for a while I enquired as to how things were processing.

I decided that I'd like to add heated steering wheel to my spec well just because really.
So I contacted the dealer and said I'd like to change the spec if possible and was told that they couldn't change it because it had already went to build status.

But shouldn't this mean I get the VIN at that point so I can track it if I wanted?

Does this seem like a fob off in terms of adding the heated steering wheel or is it bad service in terms of updates or am I just acting ridiculous ?
If you want to double check what the dealer is telling you, call BMW customer service with your order number handy and ask for a status. I actually got my VIN from them before the dealer knew about it.

I got several changes in but they did lock mine several weeks before build preventing any further changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
I take it retrofitting a steering wheel is a ridiculous sum?!
I think a pair of gloves if it's cold would be a cheaper option than a retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehoss View Post

Had similar happen to me! Wanted to add Lane Departure (just to brighten up the HUD) and asked about 6 weeks before expected build. Was told I was too late - which although I have no reason to disbelieve does seem a little ridiculous on BMWs part. Surely until the cars actually on the production line adding minimal spec changes shouldn't be too difficult!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Mine is due for delivery week one 2016 as confirmed by the dealer and BMW genius today via live chat and an order number. I added pro nav and a heated steering wheel on Monday this week without affecting build or delivery date. Car is due to be built 14th December.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My dealer genuinely gives me little info, it's extremely vague
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Mine gave me none. The only time I heard from them was when it was ready to collect.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascot
Quote:
Mine gave me none. The only time I heard from them was when it was ready to collect.
Pretty standard.

BMWs now a commodity car and not a luxury. SA probably got 50 Cars a month on the go.
      11-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah ok then!

Was starting to freak out a little.

Strange though as everyone seems to commend the TRL dealership regarding service no matter who the salesperson is
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
Pretty standard.

BMWs now a commodity car and not a luxury. SA probably got 50 Cars a month on the go.
To be honest I only needed to hear from them if there was a problem or if it was ready for collection. I didn't need weekly updates.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 02:33 AM   #14
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2408 View Post
If you want to double check what the dealer is telling you, call BMW customer service with your order number handy and ask for a status. I actually got my VIN from them before the dealer knew about it.

I got several changes in but they did lock mine several weeks before build preventing any further changes.
Is the order number the same as the contract number which shows the spec breakdown?

As order number is not on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 02:38 AM   #15
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i M Sport+

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2408 View Post

Is the order number the same as the contract number which shows the spec breakdown?

As order number is not on this.
I had an order number and a contract number.

You could still call them, they may well be able to locate your order with that and your name.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #16
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
Pretty standard.

I think this is what I'm missing.

Thinking that spending X amount of money on a car means I'm entitled to better service when in reality everyone that has purchased a car from the sales advisor expects the same.
Appreciate 0