EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

11-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Alpine White, 911 997.2

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Finally Arrived

So my M4 has arrived - 20 days ahead of schedule. It'll be ready to pick up on the weekend - but I am heading away and have a bunch of stuff on.

So pickup will be mid-next week.

Sad to see the Porsche go - but looking forward to something more modern and comfortable.

Just have to break the news to my 10 year old son....
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 428i, Sahara

Congratulations mate.

Im sure the young fella will forgive once he goes for a spin in the new toy ☺
      11-26-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Time for a meet-up
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

What Porsche is going?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY
What Porsche is going?
2010 C2S PDK
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #6
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

Keen for brisbane meet! lets do it. I just hit 2,000ks on my m4!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Wednesday AM is pickup ... yep a meetup would be good.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Welcome mate!
      11-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
So my M4 has arrived - 20 days ahead of schedule. It'll be ready to pick up on the weekend - but I am heading away and have a bunch of stuff on.

So pickup will be mid-next week.

Sad to see the Porsche go - but looking forward to something more modern and comfortable.

Just have to break the news to my 10 year old son....
I sold my 991 C2S when I bought the M4. My 4yr old son still hasn't gotten over it! - he loved the Porsche!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 02:14 AM   #10
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep

We have to organise one lads
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
So, I’ve had the M4 for around a fortnight now and so far its been enjoyable.

I picked up the car early in the morning after some day surgery that left me with a swollen head and black eyes. I think the receptionist did a double take – thinking I’d taken a beating the night before.

Motorline at Daisy Hill were pretty good at the handover, having everything ready and using the Lakin number plate-holders I supplied to mount the new QLD black Euro look plates. I’m not a huge fan of personalised plates but the Euro plates look cool I think.

The only criticism I would have of the dealer is they were a bit light on with the freebies – a minor issue I know, but when I bought my Porsche, Volkswagens, and others there was usually a decent haul of free stuff. I still have the overpriced Porsche iPad Case (in Yachting Blue no less…).

First day was straight to the work garage, where it sat for a few days whilst we had the mad rush to complete a Tender submission.

I’ve been doing mainly pre-Christmas errands and running around town, having only managed to get out for a solo drive to Dayboro and Woodford yesterday.

My impressions and observations to date.

- The M4 feels big compared to the 911, I guess that’s because it is – but it seems to feel disproportionately large when parking etc. it's something I need to get used to I suppose.
- On parking – I can not for the life of me work out the Park Assist thing.
- The iDrive is quite good once you master the options and set the one touch buttons. Navigation is great but I can’t seem to work out how to get the map back to the 2D view I had in the beginning.
- Build quality is excellent – probably better than the Porsche, not a rattle in sight.
- So much more practical than the 911 – tons of rear seat room. Decent room for the 6 year olds booster seat and plenty of boot space. The big doors can be an issue parking but no different from the Porsche.
- Disappointed that BMW skimped on the net in the glove box for the cup holder cover, also the front foot-well net is gone from LCI models.
- The multimedia player is a bit awkward to use – it does not properly randomise tracks – this is a bit of a PIA actually.
- The Connected Drive and Office stuff is pointless – you can only use it when the car is stopped with the handbrake on. It’s buried deep down in menus so its virtually unusable.
- I may need to do some coding but I cant dictate text messages – nor does it read them to me.
- The seats are so very comfortable and the extended leather is very nice.

So, more importantly – driving…
- Around town it’s great, in Eco mode it just goes along with the traffic with very little effort.
- I actually don’t mind the exhaust sound – I’m in the minority here I guess, but it’d be hard to justify the (significant) extra $$$ to buy an aftermarket unit.
- It’s very easy to break traction on the winding roads. I had a pretty hot, dry day with tyres that had only done 500km – so some more work to be done there I think. I may reduce pressures a bit and see how that goes.
- It’s a lot more work on the winding stuff that the 911, even in Sport Plus.

Overall I am pretty happy with the M4 – I think it is the ideal ‘Swiss Army Knife’ type car – roomy enough for the family (although not the main family mobile), plenty of power and very comfortable.

I’ll head out to Lakeside in the new year and see how it goes on the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #12
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 428i, Sahara

Nice review.

Glad to hear your happy with your new purchase.

I find by having Akropovic downpipe and M exhaust with the windows open I dont need any music 😊
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
So, I’ve had the M4 for around a fortnight now and so far its been enjoyable.

I picked up the car early in the morning after some day surgery that left me with a swollen head and black eyes. I think the receptionist did a double take – thinking I’d taken a beating the night before.

Motorline at Daisy Hill were pretty good at the handover, having everything ready and using the Lakin number plate-holders I supplied to mount the new QLD black Euro look plates. I’m not a huge fan of personalised plates but the Euro plates look cool I think.

The only criticism I would have of the dealer is they were a bit light on with the freebies – a minor issue I know, but when I bought my Porsche, Volkswagens, and others there was usually a decent haul of free stuff. I still have the overpriced Porsche iPad Case (in Yachting Blue no less…).

First day was straight to the work garage, where it sat for a few days whilst we had the mad rush to complete a Tender submission.

I’ve been doing mainly pre-Christmas errands and running around town, having only managed to get out for a solo drive to Dayboro and Woodford yesterday.

My impressions and observations to date.

- The M4 feels big compared to the 911, I guess that’s because it is – but it seems to feel disproportionately large when parking etc. it's something I need to get used to I suppose.
- On parking – I can not for the life of me work out the Park Assist thing.
- The iDrive is quite good once you master the options and set the one touch buttons. Navigation is great but I can’t seem to work out how to get the map back to the 2D view I had in the beginning.
- Build quality is excellent – probably better than the Porsche, not a rattle in sight.
- So much more practical than the 911 – tons of rear seat room. Decent room for the 6 year olds booster seat and plenty of boot space. The big doors can be an issue parking but no different from the Porsche.
- Disappointed that BMW skimped on the net in the glove box for the cup holder cover, also the front foot-well net is gone from LCI models.
- The multimedia player is a bit awkward to use – it does not properly randomise tracks – this is a bit of a PIA actually.
- The Connected Drive and Office stuff is pointless – you can only use it when the car is stopped with the handbrake on. It’s buried deep down in menus so its virtually unusable.
- I may need to do some coding but I cant dictate text messages – nor does it read them to me.
- The seats are so very comfortable and the extended leather is very nice.

So, more importantly – driving…
- Around town it’s great, in Eco mode it just goes along with the traffic with very little effort.
- I actually don’t mind the exhaust sound – I’m in the minority here I guess, but it’d be hard to justify the (significant) extra $$$ to buy an aftermarket unit.
- It’s very easy to break traction on the winding roads. I had a pretty hot, dry day with tyres that had only done 500km – so some more work to be done there I think. I may reduce pressures a bit and see how that goes.
- It’s a lot more work on the winding stuff that the 911, even in Sport Plus.

Overall I am pretty happy with the M4 – I think it is the ideal ‘Swiss Army Knife’ type car – roomy enough for the family (although not the main family mobile), plenty of power and very comfortable.

I’ll head out to Lakeside in the new year and see how it goes on the track.
Good review and yes parking can be a bit scary being such big car :thumbs:
Surprised about you not getting some goodies because I did get shitload of crap including some nice chocolates and a bottle of Moët :thumbs:
Who was your sales guy?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Parking is crap in the F80 and F82 because it has the worst turning circle! How do you guys find the steering weighting? After owning these cars for 18 months, I still feel it's too heavy!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
purecrema
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 997 GT2, Macan Turbo, M3, M2

Steering weight is OK....but as you have mentioned the turning circle is totally crap
Appreciate 0