E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2010 335i w/ automatic: Bad idea to track??

11-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Cerberus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: econobox

2010 335i w/ automatic: Bad idea to track??

Hey guys,

I have a stock 2010 with M sport package. Unfortunately I bought an automatic since the car is my daily driver and family car compromise. However, I want to attend two or three HPDE's a year. It's been several years since I've been out to the track, but in the past I was an intermediate driver with probably 25 track days under my belt.

I plan to upgrade the brake pads, brake fluid and that's about it. I am considering a separate set of track wheels with sticky tires and maybe refresh the suspension if I get addicted again I have read the overheating issues with the 335 on the track and I'm sure there's additional issues with the automatic on the track as well is my guess. Also the lack of LSD is a pain.

Will the occasional track event use make the car less reliable overall?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

"No time or modifications spent at the track will enhance the value of your car"
I'm paraphrasing a sign I saw at New Jersey Motorsports Park, and I think it's pretty much the truth.
That being said, BMW's seem to be pretty well capable of enjoying a few days at the track without ruining themselves. As you seem to have some experience, I think you can track your DD occasionally without jeopardizing it's integrity, just drive it safely and keep your expectations reasonable.
If it has an M sport package, doesn't it have paddle shifters? Even with a straight auto and no LSD, the fun and challenge will be to wring out every last bit of performance with good driving technique. As they say "Run what you brung!"
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
^ This

For the first few track weekends stock is more than good enough. The driver will get mod'ed quite a bit in this time.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Not knowing your mileage, and for preventative maintenance purposes if you have not already done so, you may want to consider a transmission filter and fluid change prior to your track day.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
Cerberus
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, my car does have the paddle shifters.

My primary concern was the excessive heat generated by the turbos from extended high RPMs for typically 2 hours per driving event day. It seems the turbos are the weak link on the N54 and fairly labor intensive to replace.

My car has approximately 65k miles and is well maintained.

I've had numerous NA BMW's in the past that I've tracked, but the N54 reliability worries me after reading the various online comments. I hope just unwarranted fears.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
motoguy128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Keep in mind that the abuse to cars comes mainly from accelerating and braking aggressively, frequently, and very hard. If you dial it down to 9/10ths, and focus on very smooth, effecient lines in hte corners, and mount good rubber, you can still hit fast times and have a ton of fun and learn a lot without beating the crap out of your car.

I remember this from motorcycles having a 600cc bike and easily keeping up with 1000cc machines just with corner speed, better lines, later, smoother braking and getting back on the throttle sooner and smoother.

You'll probably find that very experienced and skilled test drivers, really don't beat up the cars that much and being smooth, but deliberate, results in faster lap times.

SO maybe short shift a little, focus on perfect lines and corner speed and still have fun without ending up in the garage. Remember, the guys that really push it will have modified cars and are willing the break things.

If your not willing to break things, check your ego at the door and just drive smoother and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Gotta agree here, the only cars having temp problems I've seen on the track are the ones getting punched-n-parked around the course.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Fun w/N54
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

If your car came with 18 or 19" wheels then should have OEM oil cooler. Look in front of passenger front wheel for grill.

I did few events on my mostly stock 135 6MT with oil cooler and then 335 6AT xdrive without oil cooler. Both were a blast enjoy.
      11-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
Keep in mind that the abuse to cars comes mainly from accelerating and braking aggressively, frequently, and very hard. If you dial it down to 9/10ths, and focus on very smooth, effecient lines in hte corners, and mount good rubber, you can still hit fast times and have a ton of fun and learn a lot without beating the crap out of your car.

I remember this from motorcycles having a 600cc bike and easily keeping up with 1000cc machines just with corner speed, better lines, later, smoother braking and getting back on the throttle sooner and smoother.

You'll probably find that very experienced and skilled test drivers, really don't beat up the cars that much and being smooth, but deliberate, results in faster lap times.

SO maybe short shift a little, focus on perfect lines and corner speed and still have fun without ending up in the garage. Remember, the guys that really push it will have modified cars and are willing the break things.

If your not willing to break things, check your ego at the door and just drive smoother and have fun.
Funny how racing is racing in a bunch of different disciplines, both human and engine powered. I both alpine ski race and race cyclocross (bicycle for those who don't know). The smoothest guys, especially in cyclocross, are always the fastest. No wasted energy, they barely brake, and therefore have to barely accelerate and burn matches/waste bullets.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #10
motoguy128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
Funny how racing is racing in a bunch of different disciplines, both human and engine powered. I both alpine ski race and race cyclocross (bicycle for those who don't know). The smoothest guys, especially in cyclocross, are always the fastest. No wasted energy, they barely brake, and therefore have to barely accelerate and burn matches/waste bullets.
I did my 1st cyclocross race recently and do mainly triathlons. Even in a TT, it's amazing how much speed you can carry and time saved in corners. in cross, it's hard to make up for corners speed by hammering out of corners, the fast guys are doing both. Off road, it's all about finding a smooth, fast line over the terrain.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 12:22 AM   #11
Cerberus
Private First Class
Rep

You guys are making me feel more comfortable about tracking my 335.

It seems like I read a lot of comments that these cars overheating was probably over exaggerated. What a relief.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

even if it did get hot, the engine will protect itself by reducing power/boost/timing. Hell it even cuts power if the rear brakes get too hot from trying to simulate an LSD..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
You guys are making me feel more comfortable about tracking my 335.

It seems like I read a lot of comments that these cars overheating was probably over exaggerated. What a relief.
The "overheating" people have experienced has to do with high oil temperatures and not coolant temperatures. I've done two track days and both times the ambient air temperature was in the low 90's and during the latter part of each session my oil temperature approached 300 degrees while my coolant temperature typically stayed between 216 and 218 degrees. But please keep in mind I'm N/A so I don't have an oil cooler (yet). In large part the oil temperature is a function of how hard you drive the car but the oil temperature will cool down rather quickly if you back off a bit.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

the DME also cuts power if the oil temp gets too high. there's a 2 axis map with power reduction, oil temp is on one axis and coolant temp on the other. High oil + coolant temp results in like a 60% decrease in torque output.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
the DME also cuts power if the oil temp gets too high. there's a 2 axis map with power reduction, oil temp is on one axis and coolant temp on the other. High oil + coolant temp results in like a 60% decrease in torque output.
I love these guys who are way more knowledgeable than me!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 02:15 AM   #16
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

now if you are going balls out, making a few mistakes loosing momentum through corners ect... Then you might be one of those guys that drive the living piss out of the car, as you should. make sure you turn down boost ALOT if youplan on tracking multiple sessions throughout the day. The only thing really "tracking" your car abuses is your brakes and tires. other than that, try and stay in a higher gear and let the torque pull you through the corners. Or just get a AR Design Dual Oil Cooler setup which I'm pretty sure you could keep boost up. Its so funnny how people think "coolant"/"anti-freeze" cools your motor....NOT THE CASE....WATER is all I run through my radiator and two bottles of WaterWetter, even in the winter months. I lied lol when it gets to that freezing point I do put in a little coolant/antifreeze so I dont ruin my motor or lines.
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #17
JimBeemer3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i, 2015 Z06, & 2000 M5

I have been tracking my M5 once every month or two since it was new in 2000. The only things it's done are wear out the break pads faster and makes the PS2s and PSSs wear out faster. I had a set of dedicated racing tires, but it was a pain taking them on and off for the track.Leave your DSC on the first few times at the track and have a ball. Take your license plate off a block or two from the track because many insurance companies keep track of cars used on the track. I know Sebring and LimeRock keep track of VINs that anyone can access. Have fun!
Appreciate 0