F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is it possible...
proTUNING Freaks

11-18-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
siross
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Is it possible...

To start your engine, take your key out and lock the car? Or even leave key in car and lock with spare key?

This would help on icy mornings to leave the engine/heater running to clear the glass.

I've done a search but could only find information about being able to drive the car without the key, without being able to restart.

Thanks chaps.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
I think you can, I am sure I read someone here forgot to stop the engine, got out and locked the car and walked away! When he got back to the car the lights were on, engine running! To his amusement!
      11-18-2015, 04:18 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by siross
To start your engine, take your key out and lock the car? Or even leave key in car and lock with spare key?

This would help on icy mornings to leave the engine/heater running to clear the glass.

I've done a search but could only find information about being able to drive the car without the key, without being able to restart.

Thanks chaps.
Yes. I warm the engine with car locked on cold mornings.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #4
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Me too.

I've also done the park car, lock it , walk away and return to find the engine still running

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by siross View Post

Thanks chaps.
Yup you can. You'll usually get a 'bong' from the car saying car key taken away but it's fine. I do it all the time to warm the car (well seat and steering wheel) before heading home in the evening. Obviously legally you can be done (even on private land as I understand it) but we're off beaten track so not bothered.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Yes, you can.

Do however be aware that if anyone breaks the glass, they're away with your car. And your insurance could well (if the car as found and ECU interrogated) invalidate your insurance.
Furthermore, leaving a car running while unattended on a public highway is a criminal offence - however if it is on a private drive you are not committing an offence.
I must admit, I think that the engines in modern cars are so thermally efficient that you'll only be circulating cold air. My car takes 5-6 miles of driving before the needle even starts to move off 'cold'.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #7
je suis Paris
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i diesel

Most southern, shandy drinking laydees need to warm their cars in the morning, to protect their manicures.....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:24 AM   #8
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by je suis Paris View Post
Most southern, shandy drinking laydees need to warm their cars in the morning, to protect their manicures.....
Is that you NTG ?

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #9
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by je suis Paris
But how can you say that about yourself, since you being from Paris are South of all of the U.K....no?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #10
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiper1 View Post
I think you can, I am sure I read someone here forgot to stop the engine, got out and locked the car and walked away! When he got back to the car the lights were on, engine running! To his amusement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
Me too.

I've also done the park car, lock it , walk away and return to find the engine still running
Great! Will help de-ice the car, I don't fancy hacking away at it with a scraper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Yup you can. You'll usually get a 'bong' from the car saying car key taken away but it's fine. I do it all the time to warm the car (well seat and steering wheel) before heading home in the evening. Obviously legally you can be done (even on private land as I understand it) but we're off beaten track so not bothered.
Surely not on your own driveway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Yes, you can.

Do however be aware that if anyone breaks the glass, they're away with your car. And your insurance could well (if the car as found and ECU interrogated) invalidate your insurance.
Furthermore, leaving a car running while unattended on a public highway is a criminal offence - however if it is on a private drive you are not committing an offence.
I must admit, I think that the engines in modern cars are so thermally efficient that you'll only be circulating cold air. My car takes 5-6 miles of driving before the needle even starts to move off 'cold'.
That's a good point, although I'd be watching the car from the window I probably wouldn't be quick enough to get there.

You do make a good point re circulating cold air, the reason I'd want to do it is to clear the glass of ice, sounds like it might not even work

Quote:
I'm from Manchester and comfortable with my sexuality, not a confused Greek/French man?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:29 AM   #11
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Yes, you can.

Agree that it takes a while for the gauge to move, but mine starts to blow warm air from the vents very quickly!
      11-18-2015, 04:31 AM   #12
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport
Quote:
Is that you NTG ?
Hello Mr Obvious :
      11-18-2015, 04:32 AM   #13
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're quite right

I guess you northern laydees have your hair dryers and straighteners to keep you warm

oh, I mean French laydees .......
      11-18-2015, 04:33 AM   #14
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep22jg View Post
Agree that it takes a while for the gauge to move, but mine starts to blow warm air from the vents very quickly!
This is the electric heater, rather than engine warmth. In freezing conditions, I can feel the warmth from the heating within about 90 seconds, and by 3-4 minutes the car is warming up.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:34 AM   #15
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
Is that you NTG ?

Sorry Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:42 AM   #16
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
This is the electric heater, rather than engine warmth. In freezing conditions, I can feel the warmth from the heating within about 90 seconds, and by 3-4 minutes the car is warming up.
I didn't know there is an electric heater?

Can that be operated via the BMW App? I know you can activate the fans, but thought it would just blow cold??
      11-18-2015, 04:44 AM   #17
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Can that be operated via the BMW App? I know you can activate the fans, but thought it would just blow cold??
Doesn't this require auxiliary heating option, which isn't available in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:45 AM   #18
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

I don't think it can be operated via the app as it would cause significant battery drain. I didn't know about the heater until HighlandPete mentioned it some time ago, but it makes sense, as in cold conditions, the air gets warm long before the engine does .
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #19
Gaz330d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xDrive

I thought the car cannot be driven without the key fob being in the car. So if you start the car on your driveway and then run back inside the house with the key fob ... doesn't the car warn you ?? Can it still be driven away at that point ?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #20
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport

Quote:

I thought this too? Anyone shed some warmth on the matter please?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:53 AM   #21
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz330d View Post
I thought the car cannot be driven without the key fob being in the car. So if you start the car on your driveway and then run back inside the house with the key fob ... doesn't the car warn you ?? Can it still be driven away at that point ?
After searching the forum, it appears it's possible to drive the car without the key. Apparently it's a safety feature, rather than cutting the engine off a certain distance away from the key. Makes sense really.

Apparently once the engine has stopped you cannot start it again (some mentioned it can be started again within 10 seconds of turning off). Would be interesting if you've got stop/start switched on lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUK View Post
I thought this too? Anyone shed some warmth on the matter please?
Where's the "get your coat" smiley?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #22
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport
Quote:
Is that you NTG ?
Can't be, this guy loves ze dizel
Appreciate 0