F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DMS remap for 318d 225 bhp! Now mapped!!!!!!!
Studio RSR

11-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

DMS remap for 318d 225 bhp! Now mapped!!!!!!!

Just been looking on the website and can't believe the gains? Has anyone had it done? I know DMS are a reputable company so wouldn't expect them to be remapping cars well past there limits! Iv emails them for more info.

Last edited by Scottiedog; 12-08-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
Trialskings
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Daddy Wagon

From the way I see everything with a 18d engine driven I was under the impression they all came with 225bhp.

If there's a car up my arse or undertaking wildly on the motorway 9 times out of 10 it'll be a 118d/318d.

At least I know why now!
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialskings View Post
From the way I see everything with a 18d engine driven I was under the impression they all came with 225bhp.

If there's a car up my arse or undertaking wildly on the motorway 9 times out of 10 it'll be a 118d/318d.

At least I know why now!
It's the small man syndrome. Who's the guy forever trying to prove he's bigger and tougher than you? The big tough guy? Nope it's the little chap.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
TripleD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 Avant

Question is why you would be looking at remapping your current car by that percentage and what you expect to gain from this extra achieved power.
Also need to look heavily into insurance in order to cover this modification, it would probably be a cheaper option to insure a 330 than a 318 with mods

I have tried the DTUK tuning box, and yes you can feel it boosting more but how much actual difference it made, I would say minor, I can see why people want to but I decided to remove it after 2 weeks and sell it on as there's always someone with a bigger willy than yours.

Your asking someone to add 57% more power to your car, yes this could be possible, but is it wise? I would think not.

At the end of the day there is no replacement for displacement.

Last edited by TripleD; 11-18-2015 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

I bet you're glad you asked now eh Scottie?
Should be an award for the two most unhelpful replies to a perfectly civil enquiry;and that's with no NTG to contend with either.
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
je suis Paris
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by james d View Post
Should be an award for the two most unhelpful replies to a perfectly civil enquiry;and that's with no NTG to contend with either.
Fuckin waste of time!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I specifically posted this to get people's opinions on who's up who's ass and how big my cock is. Just so I can have MY opinion not everyone on here is fortunate to have a 330/335d. I'm a bit fed up of people slating the 4 cylinder engines both petrol and diesel saying crap like "there's no way I could live with a 4 cylinder" boo fucking who for you. My car may be a lowly 18d but it's still quicker, more fefined and special than a lot of other motors out there. Heaven forbid I might get a sensible answer or am I not welcom in the boys six cylinder club. Oh and by the way I'm a grower not a shower
Appreciate 7
P1 PET396.00
Toast25.50
Gixerste191.00
CazuaLLUK2221.00
      11-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
je suis Paris
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
Yeah I specifically posted this to get people's opinions on who's up who's ass and how big my cock is. Just so I can have MY opinion not everyone on here is fortunate to have a 330/335d. I'm a bit fed up of people slating the 4 cylinder engines both petrol and diesel saying crap like "there's no way I could live with a 4 cylinder" boo fucking who for you. My car may be a lowly 18d but it's still quicker, more fefined and special than a lot of other motors out there. Heaven forbid I might get a sensible answer or am I not welcom in the boys six cylinder club. Oh and by the way I'm a grower not a shower
I think you'll find the consensus is don't do it.

Best way to make your car faster is get some one on one driving tuition.

Then next time round go for a 330dd.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:
Crikey. Are you ok Scottie?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
Crikey. Are you ok Scottie?
Haha I think it's to much overtime at work, bloody storm barney! I take things in good humer and love a bit of banter but there's a time and a place at times.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep

Yes, I agree with you there.

I'm not an expert on this, but I think putting that much more through the engine might cause a bit of stress to it, but if someone on here has had it done they'll be along soon enough to advise.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Isn't the 318d just a 320d (190hp) with a different map, I think the 320d goes to 225hp so no reason why the 318d wouldn't.

I think a mapped 318/320d makes perfect sense a nice bump in power the 2.0d is a reliable lump for me there is a more compelling reason to map a strangled 318d than the 335d as BMW are holding it back for purely sales/marketing/upsell reasons.
      11-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Isn't the 318d just a 320d (190hp) with a different map, I think the 320d goes to 225hp so no reason why the 318d wouldn't.
I assumed there would be mechanical differences too? Different turbo / intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #14
Palexr
Lieutenant
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 330D GT M Sport

Fair comment though. This is a BMW forum, he asked a specific question and got not much in return.

I can't comment on the DMS remap, but I've had plenty done on other vehicles and see no reason why you wouldn't go for it. Though the figures do seem to be optimistic and would need double checking with DMS.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #15
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
I assumed there would be mechanical differences too? Different turbo / intercooler?
Some not very helpful replies it has to be said. Just coz its not a 6cyl doesn't mean you can't look to remap.

Don't assume its different, BMW often only change them via mapping. Before the 1er facelift the 116i (130bhp) and 118i (174bhp) were identical engines just software restricting the output of the 130bhp 116. You could increase them both to 204bhp with ACS!

The smart move was buy the 116 and add the saving in options and get it remapped!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #16
jr2408
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog
Quote:
A problem for this forum is that one large portion of the contributors have the cash to afford a well specified 330d/335/340i.

Another group don't have plenty of cash but are prepared to take on big loans and eternal interest payments financing a succession of well specified 330d/335/340i.

Nothing wrong with either of those groups or the choices they make whatsoever. We only live once.

However some members of either group sometimes forget in their excitement at loving their 6 pot that there is a 3rd group on the forum, which either doesn't have the cash, or want to finance/pay interest a big amount, is limited by their company or has he cash and simply does not want to drop 35k on a car, and is happy with a perfectly fine smaller engines BMW.

So I think the first 2 groups should endeavour to be a little more respectful of the 3rd group. And the 3rd group should realise that groups 1&2 just get a little over excited at times and not take it personally.

I'm shortly joining group 1&2, but I will endeavour to remember that only 3 years ago I was happily driving a 1.2 Polo....
Appreciate 6
Dyl432.50
brtttt75.50
TaranF32129.50
      11-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #17
Trialskings
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Daddy Wagon

Quote:
Just been looking on the website and can't believe the gains? Has anyone had it done? I know DMS are a reputable company so wouldn't expect them to be remapping cars well past there limits! Iv emails them for more info.
To be slightly more on-topic & having chipped cars previously, the latest being a 170bhp Audi A4 to 200bhp, I suffered turbo failure after 2.5 years at 130k miles. I was lucky, I had a good relationship with the dealer who replaced it under warranty.

I'd be cautious of such bhp gains if you're planning on doing any decent mileage/keeping the car for several years.

Now can you take your big penis out of my arse please?

Appreciate 2
      11-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #18
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The premium tuners should be able to confirm whether the states of tune for the 4-cyl diesels are controlled purely by software or whether the internals/turbo are different. I remember a tuner (Evolve ?) response to a recent-ish thread regarding tuning the 328i that stated that the pistons were different.

I've not heard of a DMS'd engine going pop - they've been in the game long enough to not be taking the internals beyond their limits.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I'll try with a helpful reply :

BMW do (or did) my car, the 325d, with 218bhp. For that, they put on a larger oil cooler, larger intercooler, and twin-turbos (which are very different to a single twin-scroll turbo fitted to the 318d/320d).

So NOT having all those upgraded parts, but having all the power ... well, I wouldn't really recommend it for engine/turbo longevity.
If the people re-mapping it will warrant your engine and turbo, then it's another matter. However virtually all of them only warrant their 'tuning box' or their remap.
Which tells me all I need to know about how much they really have faith in their product, and it's long-term effect on your engine.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #20
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
I'll try with a helpful reply :

BMW do (or did) my car, the 325d, with 218bhp. For that, they put on a larger oil cooler, larger intercooler, and twin-turbos (which are very different to a single twin-scroll turbo fitted to the 318d/320d).

So NOT having all those upgraded parts, but having all the power ... well, I wouldn't really recommend it for engine/turbo longevity.
If the people re-mapping it will warrant your engine and turbo, then it's another matter. However virtually all of them only warrant their 'tuning box' or their remap.
Which tells me all I need to know about how much they really have faith in their product, and it's long-term effect on your engine.
But the same can be said about remapping ANY engine. The above would apply to the 335d being taken to 390bhp for example. (and now many tuners now taking the gearbox over the supposed limit)

Regardless of who/what you do your research and you go with the best bet that suits you, or like Tengo ask them to rein it in a bit if you have concerns.

Or you go ACS with a full warranty, or BMW PPK if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

I emailed them and asked them how they get such good gains without totalling the engine. The reply was;

"Hi Scott,

Yes we are able to map these now and in fact I was driving one yesterday
with the power at 250bhp, a total transformation and another 62lb.ft of
torque. We completed this on our own new 20D BMWs within the first two
thousand miles. Each car has completed another 80k+ miles since the remap.
These gains are well within the safe engineering limits of the engine, which
leaves BMW in a very under-tuned state so that they are able to rebadge it
as a 20D and with just software changes and so that future models are able
to be released with still further power increases.

This price includes our full aftersales software support package, this is
three years of unlimited callouts to either reinstall the software if it is
overwritten during a software update from the main dealer, also if it is
going in for any warranty work where the car will be test driven we will
revert the car to standard to ensure the obvious power increases do not
provoke any questioning from the warranty manager. These callouts are
unlimited, free of charge, and we will come to any location required.

As you are so near to our HQ why not pop in for a discussion and we can also
allow you to test drive one of our own cars so that you can feel the
increases.

Kind regards"

Take from this what you will but would be interested in a test drive in their demo car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #22
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
I emailed them and asked them how they get such good gains without totalling the engine. The reply was;

"Hi Scott,

Yes we are able to map these now and in fact I was driving one yesterday
with the power at 250bhp, a total transformation and another 62lb.ft of
torque. We completed this on our own new 20D BMWs within the first two
thousand miles. Each car has completed another 80k+ miles since the remap.
These gains are well within the safe engineering limits of the engine, which
leaves BMW in a very under-tuned state so that they are able to rebadge it
as a 20D and with just software changes and so that future models are able
to be released with still further power increases.

This price includes our full aftersales software support package, this is
three years of unlimited callouts to either reinstall the software if it is
overwritten during a software update from the main dealer, also if it is
going in for any warranty work where the car will be test driven we will
revert the car to standard to ensure the obvious power increases do not
provoke any questioning from the warranty manager. These callouts are
unlimited, free of charge, and we will come to any location required.

As you are so near to our HQ why not pop in for a discussion and we can also
allow you to test drive one of our own cars so that you can feel the
increases.

Kind regards"

Take from this what you will but would be interested in a test drive in their demo car.
So. They lied (or they don't know) that the 125d/325d525d/X5-25d, etc actually has upgraded parts.

Highly competent ...
Appreciate 0