M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

11-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Relocating to Pittsburgh - Feedback requested

I just accepted a postion with my company in our Pittsburgh Office. I'm coming from WA State. We don't get much snow here so that will be a change.

I have been there a few times but wanted to solicit some feedback from locals

Main things I'm curious about:
1. Climate
2. Cost of living/ Housing
3. Schools
4. Entertainment
5. Crime
6. Reputable BMW (and Volvo Dealer)

Also, how is the car enthusiast scene in Pitt as far as drives/ GTGs? I'm not opposed to attending a few NY/ NJ/ CT meets but that's a 6 hour drive.

And just for a "second" I thought about getting rid of the ///M due to snow and salt but I dont think I can.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020

Last edited by bruza; 11-11-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
bruza
Major
Rep

I got to Pitt last week. Guess I'm the only one here. I did see an F80 M3 while on my house hunting trip in November.

NY/ NJ Meets it is then.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

I did my undergrad at UW and lived in Seattle for 9 years, then lived in the burgh for 5 years up to 2005. Wasn't into cars then, but it's a great town. Low cost of living relative to most spots in the Seattle area of course (not sure if you're from eastern WA, or elsewhere...). I'm sure there's a car scene of some sort, as the city has grown and become a bit bigger with more folks with decent income.

Enjoy it there. I'm in the NYC area now, but miss the good old burgh from time to time. If you're in Oakland check out Uncle Sam's or Primanti Bros. Good eats :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
bruza
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
I did my undergrad at UW and lived in Seattle for 9 years, then lived in the burgh for 5 years up to 2005. Wasn't into cars then, but it's a great town. Low cost of living relative to most spots in the Seattle area of course (not sure if you're from eastern WA, or elsewhere...). I'm sure there's a car scene of some sort, as the city has grown and become a bit bigger with more folks with decent income.

Enjoy it there. I'm in the NYC area now, but miss the good old burgh from time to time. If you're in Oakland check out Uncle Sam's or Primanti Bros. Good eats :-)
Thanks.

Even though I miss the NW, I'm settling in here pretty well. I just moved into the house yesterday. Overall cost of living is less. I lived about 90 miles north of Seattle so I avoided that cost of living. Property taxes here are much higher than I would've thought. Think I've only seen one other F10 M5 in the area. I've seen some other nice cars since the weather is starting to turn.

There are def some great eats around town. Pittsburgh has grown into a bit of a foodie spot.
Appreciate 0