E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Clarification for those that have replaced their OEM HU with an aftermarket one

11-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
dubluv17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Clarification for those that have replaced their OEM HU with an aftermarket one

I tried posting this over in 1addicts, but didn't get anything. Hoping you guys can clarify. Thanks.

I would like to do this. I know, everyone here is against it because you get a perfectly good signal from the factory HU(I have the hifi radio in a 135i). But that is not my concern. I have zero iPod controls and I'm sick of having to use my iPod to pick songs and having the aux cord and charging cord flopping around all over the place. I want my iPod in my glovebox, always charging and out of the way. That said, from the research I've done, it seems like I just need these two harnesses to successfully run an aftermarket deck in our cars:

- Metra BMRC-01 Radio Adapter

- Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

Is the first one the standard harness? (power, ground, remote, speaker channels) Or is there another harness that i need an addition to these. I'm assuming I need to run my own RCA wires at this point also. Unless the BMRC-01 uses the OEM signal wires going to the trunk. I've tried searching, but haven't been able to get many answers. If someone that has done this can just let me know all the harnesses that I need, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dubluv17; 11-10-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Can't give you any insight on the harnesses - but your other option is to install one of the PnP aftermarket HU such as the Dynavin N6 which come complete with retrofit faceplate that looks as if OEM, has it's own PnP harness for complete integration (including steering wheel button interface) with either HiFi or L7 systems, EZ install + all the features you are looking for in iPOD controls/USB/NAV/BT/Rear Camera/PDC/DVD etc...

You can also run RCA connections with N6 if you wish

I installed the Dynavin N6 purchased from Jeff (sponsor) on the forum & couldn't be happier with the fitment/OEM looks/EZ install/performance

Link:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016187
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 11-10-2015 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

The connects2 harness is the one you want. It does steering wheel controls and it has wires for speed pulse(for gps), parking brake(I used a microbypass), reverse, and switched 12 volt.

The metra harness would need extra wiring to work.

First you need to figure out which system you have. Check out the stickies. I started with logic 7, but I replaced the entire audio system. My headunit is an alpine s920hd.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
dubluv17
Private First Class
Rep

I have hifi and I just want to do a single DIN. I don't care for the Dynavin products. So the connects2 harness does it all? Then just run RCAs to the rear or does the connects2 harness plug into the signal wires going to the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Does your iPod have BT? If so, you could just use something like Tune2Air as a BT adapter. It can be stored out of the way, as your iPod can be wherever you want it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Does your iPod have BT? If so, you could just use something like Tune2Air as a BT adapter. It can be stored out of the way, as your iPod can be wherever you want it.
I would guess the tune2air isn't an option (no USB?) as he could have plugged the iPod straight in. It was the same problem I had.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you have a CD changer in the boot that you don't care for.
Unplug it, and add a Grom. Plug your iPod in the Grom and you'll have steering wheel control also. It was one of my choices but ended up going aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Should have said trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
dubluv17
Private First Class
Rep

No CD changer in the back and I don't do BT audio ;-). I honestly just want to put a nice single DIN in there, have the iPod on the glove box always charging and control it with the deck. I want all my audio wired. I don't want any error lights or loss in OEM functionality (chimes, gongs, etc). I don't have PDC and would like to retain steering wheel controls (mainly for Jb4 use)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubluv17 View Post
No CD changer in the back and I don't do BT audio ;-). I honestly just want to put a nice single DIN in there, have the iPod on the glove box always charging and control it with the deck. I want all my audio wired. I don't want any error lights or loss in OEM functionality (chimes, gongs, etc). I don't have PDC and would like to retain steering wheel controls (mainly for Jb4 use)
Cool, I went for a double din, and connect2 kit.

I did have the basic system though, with no issues with the connect2 but can't be sure on compatibility with your hi/fi option.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubluv17
If you have SOS, then that will have to be coded out once the new head unit is installed. Otherwise you'll have an error on the cluster.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What year is your car? Early builds have a separate speaker in the dash for chimes later build play the chimes through the audio system. There are 3 different connects2 harnesses.

One harness does chimes through the audio system. This would make the chimes too loud on an amplified system so it only works for the base system(unmodified).

The second connects2 harness comes with a small dash mounted speaker.

The third harness doesn't do chimes. This is the one I used since my car is an early build and it already had a small speaker somewhere in the dash for chimes.

Steering wheel controls work without any programing with any of the 3 harnesses. Since you have hifi you will need to modify the connects2 harness to use the rca outputs from the headunit instead of the speaker level outputs.

If you can figure out whether your chimes play through the audio system or if they are already seperate from the audio system and also tell me what headunit you are getting I could tell you exactly what you need to get. I would recommend getting a double din with gps if you are going to put all the effort in to change out the headunit.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
dubluv17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
What year is your car? Early builds have a separate speaker in the dash for chimes later build play the chimes through the audio system. There are 3 different connects2 harnesses.

One harness does chimes through the audio system. This would make the chimes too loud on an amplified system so it only works for the base system(unmodified).

The second connects2 harness comes with a small dash mounted speaker.

The third harness doesn't do chimes. This is the one I used since my car is an early build and it already had a small speaker somewhere in the dash for chimes.

Steering wheel controls work without any programing with any of the 3 harnesses. Since you have hifi you will need to modify the connects2 harness to use the rca outputs from the headunit instead of the speaker level outputs.

If you can figure out whether your chimes play through the audio system or if they are already seperate from the audio system and also tell me what headunit you are getting I could tell you exactly what you need to get. I would recommend getting a double din with gps if you are going to put all the effort in to change out the headunit.
My chimes play through the audio system. I have a 2008 135i. The chime is a little louder than stock, but it all depends on how you set your amp gains (obviously). I have replaced the 4" components as well as the underseat speakers and have a 10" sub in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #14
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My chimes play through the audio system. I have a 2008 135i. The chime is a little louder than stock, but it all depends on how you set your amp gains (obviously). I have replaced the 4" components as well as the underseat speakers and have a 10" sub in the trunk.
This is the harness you need.
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ctsb...n-support.html

I would just solder together the connects2 harness with the headunit harness, but if you can find an ISO harness for your headunit there would be less wiring. You will need to put rca ends on the signal wires or you could run an rca cable if you have an aftermarket amp which it sounds like you do.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
dubluv17
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so what's the difference between that one and this one?

http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductIn...181&p=CT20BM03

I really couldn't care less if i lose the gong. Visual warnings are enough for me. The one I linked just seems to be much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so what's the difference between that one and this one?

http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductIn...181&p=CT20BM03

I really couldn't care less if i lose the gong. Visual warnings are enough for me. The one I linked just seems to be much cheaper.
The harness you linked to is a basic harness like the metra harness. You would lose your steering wheel controls, chimes, and there is no switched 12 volt wire.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
Trelos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 white 335xi & 89 white 325i

Was in the same situation as you when I first got my car. Didn't order 6fl so no iPod adaptor. BMW actually makes an iPod adaptor for these cars. Head unit needs to be coded I believe but it works fine. iPod Classic in the glove box 128G of music anytime I want. I can also plug my iPhone into it ( with lighting adaptor) and stream pandora xm etc. I've even watched movies on the iPad and sound comes through Audio system. This way you keep the controls on the steering my wheel.
And it charges too.
Appreciate 0