BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

10-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
suprafrank
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Recharging e92 M3 AC

I couldn't find the exact info I needed to help me to recharge the AC on my 2008 M3. I was looking for the low pressure port/valve for my 2008/e92 M3 but where is it???!!! I finally found it.

First I bought a bottle of 134a refrigerant (costed $32 at Walmart):

After opening the hood, you will see a valve on the left front (see pic below).

It's too good to be true that it's so easy to locate and it turns out.....yep, it's too good to be true. The port is the high pressure one and not the low pressure one that you need. The high pressure valve is bigger than the low pressure valve and the connector from the 134a refrigerant can doesn't fit. So glad that at least they made the high pressure and low pressure valves in different sizes to differentiate the two.

Then I found the low pressure port/valve. It's located on the right side (US driver side) behind the V8 engine. You have to remove the air intake box cover the access it. The area your hand has to get through to get to the port is quite small. If you have a big hand, forget about it.

Also you have to be careful after you remove the valve cover and take it out. You have to be careful not to drop the valve cover. After you unscrew off the valve cap and remove it, the valve will look like this:

Then you just have to start the engine and turn up the AC all the way up for about 3 minutes then connect the refrigerant connector to the low pressure port. Make sure you secure it. Be gentle and not to put too much force. Read the instruction on the bottle. Don't overfill. After you are done, put the valve/port cap back on, put the air intake box cover back on, close the hood, and turn off the engine. Remember be careful not to drop the port cap when you try to squeeze your hand through to get to the port.

Hope the info is helpful for the e92 M3 owners.

Last edited by suprafrank; 10-10-2015 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 3
Theodore668.50
DrFerry6727.00
      10-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Any perceivable results afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Bump

Anyone else have any insight on the actual product? Says there's a synthetic sealant in there and was wondering what the long term effects were on the AC system. Reason I'm asking is Amazon's got pretty decent reviews on this specific type - but none were long term.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
ProteinFart
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4 CS, G80 M3C

I used AC pro today and as soon as you start to put the stuff in you should see immediate cold air going into the cabin, my issue is that I my air went from being slightly cold to not so cold then my passenger side was a bit cold, then both sides were hot air with the driver side being slightly hotter. Decided to refill the AC myself went to auto zone for some "AC pro" and saw instant results AC was back to normal as it were new and hopefully stays the same if not I'll keep this updated
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00