proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

10-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
AnujS2K
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ED 08/12

Baltimore Downtown - safe for car?

Hi Mid-A! I'm from NJ/NYC.

My work may lead me to Hunt Valley for a year to two years. Hunt Valley is 15-20 miles North of Baltimore.

In anticipation of the relocation, I have several questions that I hope you guys can help me on.

The first one being, where is a good area to live? I will be renting as it is only 1-2 years before I return to NYC. I would prefer a better location than a larger space. It will only be me so a studio or 1br is plenty. From the research I have been doing, it appears that the Inner Harbor area is the most lively? Fairly safe?

I would be interested in being in the center where many things are within walking distance (bars, restaurants, points of interest, etc).

How is the commute north from here in the morning? How is the return trip? Are the road conditions pretty good? Snow/winter tires a must? I will not be bringing my S2000 for the Winter and will be using my F80 M3. My work has a train stop 2 blocks away in Hunt Valley so if it's a really bad idea to drive, I can take the train if there is one but I would prefer to drive.

I would be looking for a place with secure parking which is very important to me, I would assume many of the buildings there would offer that. Pardon my ignorance but will the M3 be ok in downtown Baltimore? Should I consider just living closer to work due to this?

Anyway, hope you guys have some insight for me! Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:50 AM   #2
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Watch out for cops and stay the fuck out of Virginia.

Virginia sucksss
      10-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

F Baltimore. Place is turning into Balti-ghanistan after all those looted prescription narcotics flooded the streets. Cops ain't gonna do Jack about it.

Live north of the city. Save money and have peace of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
Petlizard
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63 BS; LC500; F Pace SVR; P8

I was in Baltimore for the first time three weeks ago and it looked like a scene out of Robocop. Every other home was either boarded up or had its facade littered with graffiti’s. Men in wife-beaters shirts, woman with hair extensions, and shirtless children roam the streets and sidewalks without any regards for traffic law. Of the 5 miles or so that we drove through there were maybe one block that didn't look like it had been through a war. The streets were covered in potholes or empty containers of booze or cigarettes. I saw one man taking a leak against a building that, like many homes here, had metal bars on every one of its windows. This was around 11am on a Saturday morning. Unless you are a vigilante or a drug lord, I would not recommend relocating to this city.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

There are some good neighborhoods in and near Baltimore. Don't let people tell you differently. I have a niece that lives 20 minutes north of downtown.

There is a lively area kinda like Park Slope that is close to inner harbor where the college grads and young professionals live but forgot what the area is called.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
guitarman1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 & 2004 325i

Five days a week at work in Hunt Valley. A couple of nights per week at the bars in BMore. You might want to consider living close to Hunt Valley and then driving into the city for nightlife. Will save a ton of money and wear and tear on your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 12:40 AM   #7
woobiee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/F82

Fed hill. Canton. Fells Point. Mount Vernon. Silo Point Apartments in Locus point. Assembly Apartments in Woodberry. Hampden. These are decent places in the city. It's true some places in bmore can be scary but it's just like any big city -- you'll have nice areas and bad areas.

I'm in Ellicott City, 20 mins south outside of Baltimore. Was voted top 5 cities to live in the country one year.

You may want to try looking into Towson or areas in the north.
      10-04-2015, 01:25 AM   #8
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I would recommend living in Baltimore County and not Baltimore City. I have worked in Hunt Valley on a few occasions in the past and it's generally a decent area. If you're working there it makes sense to live in close proximity and not in Baltimore proper. As others have mentioned, I would also look at Towson.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
nhs15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Moved here last year. Agree the city has good areas and bad areas just like many cities. The separation between those two are less than say DC. Neighborhoods in the city woobie mentioned and few others in the north end of the city are very nice but I needed a big garage and better roads so moved settled in the county. Hunt Valley is very pretty horse country, great driving roads! Check our Falls rd north of Shawan rd. The only place in the county thats walkable is Towson. Ellicott City in Howard county is another option as mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
robertg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Comments from people like PetLizard give me no hope for race relations in this country or world. What does having "hair extensions" have anything to do with anything. That racist thinking has to go. That is like me saying when I go out to Western Maryland or the Eastern Shore I see people with gun racks on their trucks or young kids driving a tractors.

I am from West Baltimore and I resent its portrayal by ignorant racist pricks!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #11
JYTsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 ZCP AW/Spd, F82 - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul
Watch out for cops and stay the fuck out of Virginia.

Virginia sucksss
- 28 safe driving points here, can confirm Virginia is a shitty ass place. Cop will pull you over for no reason and give you 4 tickets
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

That's right. Canton. Not bad. I'd start looking around there...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs15 View Post
Ellicott City in Howard county is another option as mentioned.
The commute from anywhere in Howard County to Hunt Valley would really suck.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I've lived in down town Baltimore City for the past 4 years, granted in Harbor East (Inner Harbor) but I love it. The majority of what is said here is absolutely true. You can go from a very nice part of the city to a fucking ghetto/war zone in a heartbeat.

Hunt Valley is a very nice area and I think you should look into places up there or in Whitemarsh. If you would like to live in the city, the outskirts in the Canton area is a great spot too. I lived there for 2 years and the atmosphere is great, it's safe, and super easy access to 95 to head up to Huntvalley. Only problem is that if you're coming from south 95, you'll have to hit the toll road unless you cut through the city.

Very few places in the city unless condo building or the nicer high rises apts have garage parking. For the most part it's all street parking.

Howard county is nice but as Pseto the commute to Hunt Valley would suck and most likely be over a hour.

Living in the Inner Harbor / Harbor East is great. It's expensive but safe... There is a large police presence at all times here with a zero tolerance for nonsense. Traffic is absolutely horrible though. I think you should look at the Union Wharf apartments http://www.unionwharfapts.com/ or the Gunther http://www.thegunther.com/. These are located in Canton/Brewer's Hill area and easy access to 95N which you would take to Hunt Valley.

If you're single... Union Wharf is stacked with hotties and their pool is LEGIT. haha

Living in the Inner Harbor / Harbor East - the problem it is the dead middle of the city... so for me getting over to Canton while it is only a 2 mile drive but traffic is so bad it could take 30min + during rush hour.

Shoot me a PM if you want to know more. Dont let the noise from the riots, the Wire, or the Nat Geo special on heroin deter you from living in the city. Just stay he hell away from those parts. I feel absolutely comfortable walking around late at night where I live and love it.

Random note: a very large majority of House of Cards is actually filmed here in Baltimore. They are always looking for extras and it's pretty cool to see some of the set go up.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4
I've lived in down town Baltimore City for the past 4 years, granted in Harbor East (Inner Harbor) but I love it. The majority of what is said here is absolutely true. You can go from a very nice part of the city to a fucking ghetto/war zone in a heartbeat.

Hunt Valley is a very nice area and I think you should look into places up there or in Whitemarsh. If you would like to live in the city, the outskirts in the Canton area is a great spot too. I lived there for 2 years and the atmosphere is great, it's safe, and super easy access to 95 to head up to Huntvalley. Only problem is that if you're coming from south 95, you'll have to hit the toll road unless you cut through the city.

Very few places in the city unless condo building or the nicer high rises apts have garage parking. For the most part it's all street parking.

Howard county is nice but as Pseto the commute to Hunt Valley would suck and most likely be over a hour.

Living in the Inner Harbor / Harbor East is great. It's expensive but safe... There is a large police presence at all times here with a zero tolerance for nonsense. Traffic is absolutely horrible though. I think you should look at the Union Wharf apartments http://www.unionwharfapts.com/ or the Gunther http://www.thegunther.com/. These are located in Canton/Brewer's Hill area and easy access to 95N which you would take to Hunt Valley.

If you're single... Union Wharf is stacked with hotties and their pool is LEGIT. haha

Living in the Inner Harbor / Harbor East - the problem it is the dead middle of the city... so for me getting over to Canton while it is only a 2 mile drive but traffic is so bad it could take 30min + during rush hour.

Shoot me a PM if you want to know more. Dont let the noise from the riots, the Wire, or the Nat Geo special on heroin deter you from living in the city. Just stay he hell away from those parts. I feel absolutely comfortable walking around late at night where I live and love it.

Random note: a very large majority of House of Cards is actually filmed here in Baltimore. They are always looking for extras and it's pretty cool to see some of the set go up.
Now this makes me want to move to union wharf. If what you say is true lol.
      10-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #16
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
Now this makes me want to move to union wharf. If what you say is true lol.
Man you have no idea. STACKED. I had a buddy that lived there and in the summer time it's ridiculous because people love their pool and amenities. Then I almost always see groups of females outside on the patio drinking wine and socializing. Unfortunately, he moved out and I have no 'in' to go over there and socialize. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #17
AnujS2K
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Unfortunately, he moved out and I have no 'in' to go over there and socialize. lol
I'm your new in. Finalized it.

Thanks for the suggestion, visited last week, good/very clean property.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #18
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujS2K View Post

HAHAHA I'll be in touch.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #19
m3pilot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujS2K View Post

Can't go wrong with Union Wharf! My wife is an exec with Bozutto and their properties are 1st class. I'm also a realtor Downtown and can tell you that there isn't anything as nice on the private market at that price point. Hope to see ya @ cars & coffee! Welcome to town.
      12-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #20
AnujS2K
First Lieutenant
Rep

Which location/c&c? I'll definitely attend when I'm there
Appreciate 0