E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E92 base audio build - help needed

07-22-2015, 05:47 AM   #1
Kannu
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 120d M sport

E92 base audio build - help needed

Once again I'm stuck with a E92 that has the superb base audio. The car has front and back PDC, which seems to make things even more complicated.

I'm looking for good enough sound with the possibility of adding a trunk sub later on. I was planning to use (suggestions are welcome)

Helix PP82dsp + Jehnerts flatline kit

I'm now looking for the most easy and correct way of doing the installation:

1) How should i do the wiring? With a harness (which one?) or manually?
2) How can I keep the PDC sounds working?
3) Are the gongs loud as hell after the installation?

I have looked at the many build up stories here but the amount of information/opinions is overwhelming me at the moment.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Looks like we are about in the same place then. Sub'd for updates

That's what I was recommended as well.

Agree the amount of info is super overwhelming.
      07-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
vrslider
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 2011

Nice

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
LLW273
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sport DCT NAV Sunroof

E92 base audio build - help needed

Hi Kannu,
I had a PP82DSP installed into my E92 with the Base Audio and front & rear PDC a few months ago, I had similar concerns as you have but thankfully I needn’t have worried.
The amp was installed in a recess in the boot just behind the rear seats, this meant the installer could use the 2 metre harness supplied with the amp and extend as required to the woofers, midranges and tweeters for an active setup.
We used the woofer connections at the speaker as front inputs into the PP82DSP as they are full range, we then assigned 6 of the 8 channels to the front Rainbow components I chose. I believe you can do this with Jehnerts
The rear speaker connections can be used as inputs for the final 2 channels and back from the amp to the rear speaker location. I chose at this point to swap out the rear speakers for Rainbow coaxials for 3 reasons.
1. I do like the rear of the car filled with sound, just personal preference.
2. The Rainbow coaxials can take the upgrade in power.
3. Like you I was worried about the PDC gongs, so in my world if I assigned the final 2 channels to the rear then the gain from the amp for the any alarms would be same front and rear and I could adjust as required in the HU menu.
No PDC problems, the only sound that was overly loud was the NAV but this is easily altered by setting the volume at the level you want using the HU volume and changing the volume of the NAV using the volume controls on the steering while she’s talking !
The PP82DSP/Rainbow combination is a big warm sound with a good soundstage, the installer left the HU tone flat when he did a basic setup of the DSP so I could adjust to taste. Through lack of time I haven't even looked at the DSP on my laptop as yet but this will change as I have some leave coming up.
Good luck with your install !
Appreciate 0