BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 CSL

07-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

M2 CSL

Gone very very quiet on this variant. When was it last mentioned or hinted from Scott or a source? Was it ever in that thread from the guy who quoted the 2 year model numbers, engines etc? I don't think so. Will it be a huge mark up over base M2 and just 2 seats? Will it look closer to the Vision GT?

So many questions and we have nothing
      07-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris
Gone very very quiet on this variant. When was it last mentioned or hinted from Scott or a source? Was it ever in that thread from the guy who quoted the 2 year model numbers, engines etc? I don't think so. Will it be a huge mark up over base M2 and just 2 seats? Will it look closer to the Vision GT?

Agreed. We need more read meat as I'm once again looking at the M4.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post

Not only that, but what is funny is that there is talk of a M2GC. Which is a head scratcher. Unless BMW has plans for a 2 series Gran Coupe, I cannot see a reason for a M2 Gran Coupe. That would mean, additional tooling to make a M car on a platform (extra doors, slightly differently styling, different trunk, possibly slightly longer) that doesn't exist.

So, that is potentially 2 more models? I could see a M2 convertible before I could a M2 Gran Coupe. Counting that, this is 3 potential models---"CSL", M2GC, and convertible.
Out of those three, the "CSL" is the most plausible and the least cost restrictive as they more than likely have been testing it, had it already planned, and already have a platform for.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is no reason for BMW to "leak" information about an M2 CSL right now so close to the reveal of the standard M2. Otherwise you have people holding out for the CSL, instead of contributing to the hysteria around the base model.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

The "CSL" badge carries lots of potential profit. By that I mean, BMW expects people will rush to buy a car with the CSL badge stuck on it. So, BMW will make sure that the stampede is directed at a high profit margin car. IMO, This takes the M2 out of the running as a candidate for the CSL badge because the M2, relative to the other M cars, is a low margin car.
I hope I'm wrong. I would jump on an M2 CSL like pronto

Last edited by fuddman; 07-19-2015 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: My preference
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Not only that, but what is funny is that there is talk of a M2GC. Which is a head scratcher. Unless BMW has plans for a 2 series Gran Coupe, I cannot see a reason for a M2 Gran Coupe. That would mean, additional tooling to make a M car on a platform (extra doors, slightly differently styling, different trunk, possibly slightly longer) that doesn't exist.

So, that is potentially 2 more models? I could see a M2 convertible before I could a M2 Gran Coupe. Counting that, this is 3 potential models---"CSL", M2GC, and convertible.
Out of those three, the "CSL" is the most plausible and the least cost restrictive as they more than likely have been testing it, had it already planned, and already have a platform for.
There are a lot of us holding out hope for a 2 series GC (and a M2GC would blow my mind and take away any lingering feelings of remorse for selling my ZHP).

It wouldn't have to be longer the the 2 coupe, as the 2er is 1" longer then my old e46 ZHP sedan. Also the front seat is further forward in the 2er. There is a lot more room in the back of a 2 coupe then in the back of a e46 4 door. In my driving position (I'm over 6') the e46 didn't have a back seat behind the driver as there was about 2 inches clearance behind the driver seat to the front of the rear seat. In the M235i there are almost 6 inches. I can fit back there (leg room, not headroom).

Please BMW, make a car for those of us that really need 4 doors, and miss the old smaller cars. We feel abandoned. And no, a FWD 1er does not count.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
The "CSL" badge carries lots of potential profit. By that I mean, BMW expects people will rush to buy a car with the CSL badge stuck on it. So, BMW will make sure that the stampede is directed at a high profit margin car. IMO, This takes the M2 out of the running as a candidate for the CSL badge because the M2, relative to the other M cars, is a low margin car.
I hope I'm wrong. I would jump on an M2 CSL like pronto
We don't know what the high performance variant will be called, so people have run with the "CSL" moniker. Scott26 had said that he saw a high performance variant that looked like a less flared version of the Vision GT6. There are pics of two men standing in front of renders of what that would look like.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Historically, most manufacturers release these ultimate variants just before the end of production cycle for the particular model. They are like a special gift for the diehards that followed and supported the brand throughout time.

I wouldn't expect a CSL for the M2 to be officially announced until another 2-3 years time.
Appreciate 4
      07-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Historically, most manufacturers release these ultimate variants just before the end of production cycle for the particular model. They are like a special gift for the diehards that followed and supported the brand throughout time.

I wouldn't expect a CSL for the M2 to be officially announced until another 2-3 years time.
Exactly right.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
There is no reason for BMW to "leak" information about an M2 CSL right now so close to the reveal of the standard M2. Otherwise you have people holding out for the CSL, instead of contributing to the hysteria around the base model.
Sadly I totally agree mate, doesn't stop we wanting to know, I can plan my spending better if I have the big picture. Pah.
      07-20-2015, 03:32 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

Yup totally true and I agree, timing might be best for me having jumped onto the F82 last 8 months. Although seems odd that Scott has already seen a performance model. Maybe CSL in my thread title is misleading, maybe there is a 100 jahre edition of an M2??
      07-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Fresh news from The Sipping One: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=129
      07-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Not crazy about it being edrive. Maybe a hybrid edrive would still maintain some of the engine magic.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Not crazy about it being edrive. Maybe a hybrid edrive would still maintain some of the engine magic.

How about the Porsche 918, Ferrari La Ferrari, and McLaren P1? Their designers seem to believe augmenting petrol power with hybrid technology yields a positive result. Not all hybrid design is aimed solely at fuel economy. A big concern for me with hybrids is weight, e.g. Tesla P85D. Great if it's only going straight.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold

Last edited by bim2er; 07-25-2015 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #15
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think the acceleration of these turbo motors is already pretty good. Plenty of torque. So I think weight reduction is more important than adding eDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:58 AM   #16
Juli23
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
That thing looks awesome! But unfortunately I don't think it'll make production like this
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:28 AM   #17
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Oh wow, that is really beautiful - except for the usual dreary grey..... Imagine it in orange !
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #18
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I think that the new Hommage Concept will lead to the track focused car, faster than an M2 CSL...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #19
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
I'll take an ///M2, Tesla-like, "Ludicrous Mode" as a new benchmark in lag-free sub-3 seconds, 0-62mph acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #20
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep

Well here is what Scott26 posted in the M3GTS thread on the M3 Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
You do know that this is retractable for street use?
In all it is specifically a track orientated car so everything has been designed for track use including the Water Injection technology. Even the dynamics and steering has been tightened up to focus on its track potential. Its body contributes to further weight reduction as the top section of the car bonnet,roof and boot lid are fabricated from CFRP.
The (European) cars get the roll cage,Laser headlights and OLED taillights (not retrofittable).

Its a taster to lead into the introduction of CSL as BMW Ms more exclusive and Motorsport orientated innovation lab to use very single development that reflects today's requirements and that includes eDrive. As well as weight reduction and innovation to reflect a new age of performance.
Would you buy or like an M6,M4 or M2 CSL if they reflected the wild but futuristic looks of the CSL homage's aerodynamics?
The plot just thickened a whole lot! Thanks in advance to all early M2 adopters.
Being patient is going to suck!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #21
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The M2 is another parts bin car. If that isn't a clear sign i don't know what is. Why anybody thinks a CSL will come out on this generation M2 is beyond me.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo
Well here is what Scott26 posted in the M3GTS thread on the M3 Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
You do know that this is retractable for street use?
In all it is specifically a track orientated car so everything has been designed for track use including the Water Injection technology. Even the dynamics and steering has been tightened up to focus on its track potential. Its body contributes to further weight reduction as the top section of the car bonnet,roof and boot lid are fabricated from CFRP.
The (European) cars get the roll cage,Laser headlights and OLED taillights (not retrofittable).

Its a taster to lead into the introduction of CSL as BMW Ms more exclusive and Motorsport orientated innovation lab to use very single development that reflects today's requirements and that includes eDrive. As well as weight reduction and innovation to reflect a new age of performance.
Would you buy or like an M6,M4 or M2 CSL if they reflected the wild but futuristic looks of the CSL homage's aerodynamics?
The plot just thickened a whole lot! Thanks in advance to all early M2 adopters.
Being patient is going to suck!
BMW likes to keep the M2 and M4 separate.

Agree with you that great patience is needed.

M4 GTS concept now
M2 rollout coming this fall/winter
M4 GTS on sale
M2 on sale - next spring
M4 LCI next summer
M2 GTS concept next fall ?
Appreciate 0