F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Left foot brake pedal
ARMA SPEED

07-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
znolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F36 435i

Left foot brake pedal

I made a couple of these pedals as a design exercise a few years ago. I've had one on my E46 M3 and love it.

I just put the second one on my F36. It screws right on to the stock brake pedal.

I don't know why they don't design the pedal this way from the start. Once you get used to left foot braking it's hard to go back.
Attached Images

Last edited by znolo; 07-21-2015 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

+1

I left foot brake all the time. Smoother and faster than right foot alone. I didn't even know there was a left foot brake pedal. That'd be convenient.

My guess why lfb (left foot braking) isn't popular. 1) Manufacturers may be concerned that drivers will press both pedals in an emergency (something I've never done with lfb even after 20 years of driving) 2) they want you to use the dead pedal to brace for a immediate stop. If you hit an object and come to an immediate stop you might accidentally use the accelerator as a brace.

In my experience if i had to hammer the brake in an emergency its both feet on the brake to avoid the possibility of bracing against the accelerator. Lfb downside? If you go back to manual its a bit weird because your left foot has something else to do
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Picture?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
znolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The photo disappeared for some reason. It's back now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

How many left-brake-pedal drivers will rest their foot on the brake pedal (most of them, probably) and a) wear out and/or overheat their brakes (yes, even the slights pressure will work the brakes); and b) drive the guy behind them nuts because their brake light is always on and he/she will not know when you are really slowing. There's a reason why you should only drive with your right foot.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
znolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've been using my left foot to brake for many years and have never been tempted to rest my foot on the brake.

If I find myself in circumstances that might require an immediate use of the brakes I position my left foot over the pedal to reduce my time to brake. This results in much faster braking than lifting your right foot off the accelerator, moving over to the brake pedal, and then applying the brake. Left foot braking is much safer.

I'm not sure where you obtained the statistics that most left foot users ride the brakes, but I find it hard to believe that most do.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
bateau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Apologies for thread necromancy, but this is a really cool mod. How wide is the pedal? I assume stock is under the right edge of the pedal judging by the arm position? I wonder if any vendors make something similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
znolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The pedal is 6.6" wide. It screws onto the stock brake pedal from the automatic transmission model.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by znolo View Post
I've been using my left foot to brake for many years and have never been tempted to rest my foot on the brake.

If I find myself in circumstances that might require an immediate use of the brakes I position my left foot over the pedal to reduce my time to brake. This results in much faster braking than lifting your right foot off the accelerator, moving over to the brake pedal, and then applying the brake. Left foot braking is much safer.

I'm not sure where you obtained the statistics that most left foot users ride the brakes, but I find it hard to believe that most do.
Why can't you position your right foot over the brake pedal to reduce time to brake? If you anticipate the possibility of braking, your right foot shouldn't be on the accelerator anyway. That would make right foot braking safer.

I don't have statistics and I doubt you do either so we're both left to our opinions and experiences. And in my experience, the vast majority of left foot brakers leave their foot on the pedal. If you don't, you're the exception. If it works for you, more power to you. But I think it would be a bad idea to teach or encourage left foot braking.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #10
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by znolo View Post

The only Circumstance I know this will apply is when you are tailgating somebody. 👊🏻