BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Exclamation An M7 Coupe?

Hey guys,
It's my first thread in the 7 series forum, and personally I cannot wait until the new G11 is "officially" revealed, even though some have seen it in early previews and the other half of us have seen the not-so-good leaked pictures.

Whether we like it or hate it, the 7er is one of the most luxurious sedans in the world, but why can't BMW take it a step further?

We all see what Mercedes are aiming towards. As far they're concerned they do not even compete with BMW and Audi anymore, but more like Bentley and Rolls Royce

This is because of their focus on performance, classiness and attractiveness all in one and their focus on a much broader audience than the one's being sought after by BMW most particularly.

So what would you guys think of an M7 coupe?
Obviously, we would need an M7 to start with, but I think sooner or later this is bound to happen. However, BMW lacks competitors to cars such as the AMG GT and the S63 coupe, and an M7 coupe could be a decent start.

Imagine a two-door M7, with a V12 that could do 0-100 in just 3.8 seconds. It would give the S63 & S65 a run for it's money. The interior could be different to the 7er just as the S coupe is different to the S sedan.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamad Nasser View Post
Hey guys,
It's my first thread in the 7 series forum, and personally I cannot wait until the new G11 is "officially" revealed, even though some have seen it in early previews and the other half of us have seen the not-so-good leaked pictures.

Whether we like it or hate it, the 7er is one of the most luxurious sedans in the world, but why can't BMW take it a step further?

We all see what Mercedes are aiming towards. As far they're concerned they do not even compete with BMW and Audi anymore, but more like Bentley and Rolls Royce

This is because of their focus on performance, classiness and attractiveness all in one and their focus on a much broader audience than the one's being sought after by BMW most particularly.

So what would you guys think of an M7 coupe?
Obviously, we would need an M7 to start with, but I think sooner or later this is bound to happen. However, BMW lacks competitors to cars such as the AMG GT and the S63 coupe, and an M7 coupe could be a decent start.

Imagine a two-door M7, with a V12 that could do 0-100 in just 3.8 seconds. It would give the S63 & S65 a run for it's money. The interior could be different to the 7er just as the S coupe is different to the S sedan.

Thoughts?

Mercedes will always compete with BMW and Audi. If they were to create a coupe like that it would spawn back the 8 series. BMW should make a big luxury coupe like the Gran Lusso concept.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Scott26 had previously denied the return of an 8er as it would pretendedly step on the RR Wraith's toes... But he had also denied a potential 9er for the same reason that it would encroach on the RR Ghost's turf, and yet we now know that the 9er might well become reality. The tables may well have shifted since, the VFL Concept probably garnered much more interest in key markets than expected and BMW probably realized that RR customers will not cross-shop with BMW so there is little risk of cannibalization.

If the 9er goes to production, why not supplementing the 7er with a 2 door coupé version (= 8er), even more so given the splendid S-Class Coupé Merc has come up with. Building the 7er, 8er, 9er, X7 and potentially a large 4 door coupé reminiscent of the CS Concept (= 8er Gran Coupé?) seems like a huge investment, but if the luxury markets especially in China are growing quickly enough why not

Last edited by advantage20; 06-09-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I think you mean M8 coupe? BMW's naming system is pretty obvious...

Yeah I think an M8 coupe would be great. But man inflation is out of control. You could buy a Bentley Continental GT for $160k a few years ago. Now you can barely get an S63 Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I think you mean M8 coupe?
Which would imply an 8er to begin with, but if the 8er does come out it will undoubtedly spawn an M version to fight the S63 AMG Coupé

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Which would imply an 8er to begin with, but if the 8er does come out it will undoubtedly spawn an M version to fight the S63 AMG Coupé
The car is such a beauty. I knew she was something special the first time i saw her in October 2013.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
stony man
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750 XI

This is the first i have heard of the 7 series having a coupe. I am intrigued to see it
Appreciate 0