THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications seeing advice on US->EU rear light conversion

05-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
magicthechemist
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: M235i

seeing advice on US->EU rear light conversion

Hi everyone!
I'm a new user here and a happy owner of M235i. I had been living in CA for few years and now I am moving to Spain. At this point, my car is in a container on a ship half way through Atlantic. When it arrives to Spain, I will need to adjust it to EU specs in order to register it over here.

I am seeking advice on rear light conversion. I need to have a fog light (this is already done with coding) and yellow indicators/turn signals lights.

Initially, I was thinking to buy EU lights and put them on the car. However, the information I am getting for dealers is that those lights will not be recognized by an onboard computer, and will not function (possibly without coding). I am a bit afraid of dealing with a reprogramming of my car in a new country, with some language barrier etc.

Any thoughts or recommendations from my fellow forum users ?

One thing I was considering is to buy EU lights, dismantle them and exchange the transparent colored part with my US light assembly. However, I do not know if US indicator lights (bulbs/led) are red or white ? If red, this will not work as red light going through yellow plastic will seem red anyway.

Can change led/bulbs from red to yellow ? Or they are integrated with the lamp assembly (BMW catalog does not seem to list a indicator bulb suggesting they cannot be exchanged - however my internet search suggest they can be exchanged with 1156 type leds - can anyone confirm it for me ?).

Maciek
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Ian_Mark
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '14 228i MSport

Garage List
2014 BMW 228i  [0.00]
2005 Subaru Sti  [0.00]
I had to do the conversion as well. In the UK, they installed a rear foglight switch and the bulb was just replaced simple as that but pricey. If I had less than a year before coming back stateside I wouldn't have needed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

should work without issue 100%. euro lights dont have anything the US ones do or vice versa. the only difference is the plastic lens.