F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > New car breaks - dealership takes it for a joyride
Extreme Powerhouse

05-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
too much
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi GC

New car breaks - dealership takes it for a joyride

I got myself last week a new 435GC from a dealership that I will not mention yet.

I drove the car for 30 kms and I got a limp mode service light (I am "familiar" with it as I moved from another 335 that I had for 4.5 years and maintained by myself). I didn't even manage to drive my new car home, as I was near the (same) dealership when it happened so I took the car in.

They told me it was a wastegate issue and they need to keep the car to diagnose it. That was on Friday, they kept the car over the weekend, and Tuesday they called me saying they performed a software update (that is already arguable on a new car) hoping it will address the issue and I can pick up the car. Despite the fact that it seems they have no idea and I will probably have to take the car back for an actual fix, when I arrived at the dealership I noticed lots of break dust on the improperly washed front rims. I checked the mileage and it had 46 kms on top of the 30 I put on it. Basically they drove the car more that I did.

The service manager told me that was their normal procedure to take the engine through its cycles. Seriously ????

Honestly that sounds like a bag of ****, and considering the brake dust, they had some fun with the car. I refused to pick up the car, as at the end I paid for a new car experience, that I failed to receive, with no fault of mine. Their joyride just added insult to injury.

Did anybody had a similar experience (car failing on the first day of ownership), but I'm mainly concerned about the joy ride. I owned new cars before, I also had two BMW's, but never experienced anything like this.

I feel that I should be compensated, and I would appreciate similar experiences and advice. I'm considering seeking legal help.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

not much you can do about it (legally, imo), except to complain to higher up, dealer principals and gm. Even if you add your complaint to BMW Canada, there is absolutely nothing they can do as the dealer is franchised owned.

For that much mileage, I am sure the tech or somebody in the dealer took your car home or driven to do their errands. Sorry to say. 5km is acceptable. 46km is excessive. You should check out the tire wear as well, excessive burnout ? given the brakes are used heavily it seemed.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Man you people are paranoid. If they had driven it 5 kms and problem re-occurred you would be angrier. Get over yourself and enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
It's not out of the ordinary for them to do that especially if it the problem you're experiencing is related to the engine. They need to do cycles/drives because these errors don't appear immediately, errors usually trigger after the fault has happened two or more times. Should they have notified you that they were going to drive it? Sure but brake dust is hardly an indicator of joy riding.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
hj058
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 335i

I work for an European manufacturer and I know it is normal technicians need to do extensive road test after engine related problems are fixed. however they should have inform you and have your authorization before doing so.
      05-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

it's a brand new car...of course there is going to be brake dust...it doesn't mean they were driving it hard. You're being a bit of a princess dude. Maybe you should move to the US if you want to start riding the "They owe me xxx cause I am a victim" train.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

watched it and didn't see any out of the ordinary driving. going to 155Km/h isn't being hard on the car. What sucks is not having the car delivered in perfect condition. We only get a handful of times in our life to experience the new car joys. I do not go through 3-4 year leases. I own for 8-12 years minimum, so these experiences are far between.

sorry to hear about your troubles. I too had some inconveniences at first but I always gave the dealer the chance to rectify. After the initial annoyances, I've had 30000Km of blissful driving. stay patient.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
too much
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
We only get a handful of times in our life to experience the new car joys
This ...

To be honest that is the only reason I would ever buy a new car. I own or lease cars for 3-4 years on average, sometimes new, sometimes used. If you don't need a loan from the manufacturer/ dealer, beside the new car experience, there is nothing worth the extra money you end up paying the dealer for a new car.

That's why I'm a bit surprised about some of the feedback I got (cross posted on a general topic), being accused of self-entitlement. People seem to got used to be taken advantage off, thinking that this is normal. It's about being a victim or not, and accepting that ...

No favor has been made to you by buying this car, you paid for it with your time, with your opportunity of spending that amount of money on something else (vacation, fun, family, home, or even another vehicle), and you paid the brand a lot. You should get back a lot for it, and the new car experience is part of that brand promise IMO.

P.S. Probably some people will just swallow. The princess got a monthly payment back.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

you got back something for your time and money...it's called a car. use the $500 you got for being a pain in the ass and buy a rag and some wheel cleaner and move on with your life. and let the dealership move on with theirs.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
you got back something for your time and money...it's called a car. use the $500 you got for being a pain in the ass and buy a rag and some wheel cleaner and move on with your life. and let the dealership move on with theirs.
well said
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #11
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by too much View Post
That's why I'm a bit surprised about some of the feedback I got (cross posted on a general topic), being accused of self-entitlement. People seem to got used to be taken advantage off, thinking that this is normal. It's about being a victim or not, and accepting that ...

P.S. Probably some people will just swallow. The princess got a monthly payment back.
Just because we have opposing views/opinions doesn't mean we like or are getting taking advantage of. The dealership did nothing wrong other than not notifying you that they were going to drive your car which is within the scope of the repair/diagnosis. Unless you have definitive proof that they did go for a joyride or the dealership verbally admitting that they did, you getting your money back is nothing more than a courtesy to you for which the dealer deemed appropriate and not admission of guilt.

The feedback you're getting is likely due to the conclusions you're jumping to.
Appreciate 0