THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Taking the plunge: best video for how to hand-wash & wax my new Two?

04-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Taking the plunge: best video for how to hand-wash & wax my new Two?

After years of drive-through car washes, some of which offer hand-wash service, I have decided to preserve my new 228i M Sport by washing it myself. I have no clue how (although I have been pointed at the Autogeek and Chemical Guys web sites). Can anyone please help me out with information about the following:

- Is there a great video guide to automobile home wash/waxing, with a list of recommended supplies?

- What do you think about maintaining interior (leather) care?

- Other southern California residents: Am I likely to get slammed, if spotted, for using water from a hose pipe?

Many thanks, gents.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Recommended car care supply source: http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Browse Griot's Garage DIY video library: http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/videos.do
      04-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

What exactly is a "touchless car wash"? A car wash where you sit in the car on a conveyor belt as the machines spray the exterior, then blast it with warm air, then finally you park it somewhere to dry it and vacuum out the interior? There's a place like that near me, but I guess it does not wax the car and I do not know the quality of the cleaning solutions used or whether it's worth considering at all. Can you advise? I still want to wash my car in my own driveway but with the drought in southern California, I think I might get in trouble when spotted using a hose for this purpose. And I'm not sure if I can get a portable vacuum cleaner of good enough quality to do the interior thoroughly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Barry, I recommend that you check out AmmoNYC and Junkman2000 on YouTube. These guys have excellent tips on how to CORRECTLY hand wash your car.

If you're serious about keeping your car's paint protected and swirl-free, you should watch a few of their videos on the fundamentals.

Touchless carwash simply means that nothing except the water itself touches the car. However, many touchless carwashes are harsh on paint. Furthermore, most touchless car wash centers still have people who wipe off your car afterwards...but they use the same dirty towels all day so you're in for a swirl treat...not the good kind.

If you can't wash the car at home, you may want to find a self-wash place. They're not as ideal as true handwashing, but a good alternative.

As for vacuuming, just go on Amazon and find the best rated hand held vacuum. They do the job just fine provided you maintain the interior regularly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Xiaoxi, much obliged. Will look into all this.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
What exactly is a "touchless car wash"? A car wash where you sit in the car on a conveyor belt as the machines spray the exterior, then blast it with warm air, then finally you park it somewhere to dry it and vacuum out the interior? There's a place like that near me, but I guess it does not wax the car and I do not know the quality of the cleaning solutions used or whether it's worth considering at all. Can you advise? I still want to wash my car in my own driveway but with the drought in southern California, I think I might get in trouble when spotted using a hose for this purpose. And I'm not sure if I can get a portable vacuum cleaner of good enough quality to do the interior thoroughly.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
MEBII
Mike Bryan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
This>>>
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Very helpful, many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Ammo NYC is great (never tried his products, but I like his method and research). Adam's Polishes has good videos on YouTube as well.

My thoughts on products after using Chemical guys (for about 6 years now), Menzerna, Mothers, Einszett, and others.

Car wash:
- CG Citrus Wash and Gloss (good for sediment, not always necessary)
- CG Glossworkz (better for weekly washings, light dirt/rain, preserves wax and is not abrasive)
- Optimum No-Rinse (like CG glossworkz, very safe, non-abrasive, nice smell)

Wheels:
- Sonax full effect - Excellent at removing brake dust, Base chemical (vs. Acid), do not let this sit on the wheels for more than 1-2 minutes. Incredible cleaner.
- CG Citrus wash and gloss or Diablo Gel - better for weekly touch ups on wheels.

Wax / Sealant:
- Collinite 845: Technically a wax, but is insanely durable, goes on like butter and off just as easy. More of a sealant imo.
- Pete's 50/50: Wax, easy application, deep glow. At $35 a bin, should last a year or more.

Touchup:
- CG Synthetic Detailer: Cut 50:50 with distilled water, carry a small bottle in the trunk for bird / bug junk. Also good for a quick touch up at any time.

Interior
- 1Z Einzett: Big fan of their products. Made in Germany and leave the car smelling new. I use the deep cleaner and cockpit premium. Won't leave the trim shiny, always matte.
- 1Z Leather Care: Same, great stuff. But this isn't really a cleaner. For stains, the 1Z deep cleaner works, then just wipe off and protect with the leather care.

Tools:
- Microfibers: Don't buy cheap stuff. Detailerdomain or Chemical guys sell some good ones. Don't buy fluffy MF towels, they leave lint and when the pick up dirt, it never comes out.
- Speedmaster - Great wheel brush for cleaning inside the barrel. Get the red one, not blue - red is more durable.

Hope this helps!
      04-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Great intel, hoppy, thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
how are the other optimum products that are not "no-rinse", i.e. their spray wax and detailers?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #13
Jeff231
M235i
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Follow Matt on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MattMoreman
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Ammo NYC is great (never tried his products, but I like his method and research). Adam's Polishes has good videos on YouTube as well.

Tools:
- Microfibers: Don't buy cheap stuff. Detailerdomain or Chemical guys sell some good ones. Don't buy fluffy MF towels, they leave lint and when the pick up dirt, it never comes out.
- Speedmaster - Great wheel brush for cleaning inside the barrel. Get the red one, not blue - red is more durable.

Hope this helps!
So the mop-like wash mitts = no good?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
So the mop-like wash mitts = no good?
I have heard a lot of preferences, but my observations (not gospel).

Griots mop-like version: Good, but heavy when wet. I'm not a light weight, but it puts more force down on the car then I prefer to scrub with. They wash up fine, releasing any sediment.

Organic Sponges: Never tried a true sea sponge (expensive), but I'm not sure how easily they release dirt after picking it up (ie. does a quick dunk in a rinse bucket cause dirt release enough to keep moving on?).

My preferred mitt for now: http://www.basspro.com/Detailers-Cho...duct/10211632/

It has MF soft texture on one side, and a soft bug scrub on the other. I have yet to have a permanent stain or any sediment to not become free after washing.

In the end, you want a mitt that will lift sediment from the paint and release it when rinsed. A mitt should not drag sediment further along in the washing process or it can cause further harm to the finish.