Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Strange Noise Under Hard Acceleration

Over the last 3k miles I've noticed what I can only describe as a grinding noise (or something loose) coming from the passenger rear but only under very hard acceleration. I notice it the most in gears 1, 2, and 3, so mostly when the wheels want to spin - DSC is off. The car goes in for service in 3,600 miles so I'll have it looked at then. Curious whether anyone else has encountered anything similar. I'll try to capture the sound and post a video shortly.
Mineral Grey F80 M3 /// Full Sakhir Leather Interior /// 19" Light Alloy Wheels /// M Adaptive Suspension /// DCT /// Carbon Fiber Trim /// Carbon Fiber Roof /// Executive Package /// HK /// LED Lighting /// MPE /// KW HAS /// ESS E-Tronic
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

could it be the wheels spinning?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
could it be the wheels spinning?
No
Mineral Grey F80 M3 /// Full Sakhir Leather Interior /// 19" Light Alloy Wheels /// M Adaptive Suspension /// DCT /// Carbon Fiber Trim /// Carbon Fiber Roof /// Executive Package /// HK /// LED Lighting /// MPE /// KW HAS /// ESS E-Tronic
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80JMcD View Post
No
had to ask, most of the time its the simple things that trip us up. Good luck finding out. Inform us what you find.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Over the last 3k miles I've noticed what I can only describe as a grinding noise (or something loose) coming from the passenger rear but only under very hard acceleration. I notice it the most in gears 1, 2, and 3, so mostly when the wheels want to spin - DSC is off. The car goes in for service in 3,600 miles so I'll have it looked at then. Curious whether anyone else has encountered anything similar. I'll try to capture the sound and post a video shortly.
F80JMcD,

Sounds like a very common issue with the M4/M3. Most probably due to a small rock getting stuck in between the rear brake rotor and the rotor shield. You can gently open the gap with your hand to stop this happening again.

Mad.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

I had metallic rattle sound coming from rear passenger door during hard acceleration.
After trying to figure out what's causing this, I finally found out that it was coming from sun screen unit.
When you take out rear door panel, you will see that sun screen unit is attached to the raised metal bar that is attached to door panel.
Sun screen unit's attachment point to door's raised metal bar is unfortunately metal also.
During hard acceleration, these 2 bars would clash each other causing metallic rattle noise.
I had to stick in some thin padding between these 2 bars to prevent them touching each other directly.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist
Quote:
F80JMcD,

Sounds like a very common issue with the M4/M3. Most probably due to a small rock getting stuck in between the rear brake rotor and the rotor shield. You can gently open the gap with your hand to stop this happening again.

Mad.
This sound I know all too well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
NCSU2WFU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 & 2016 Macan Turbo

Did you ever fix it? I had the same thing and got it repaired today. My issue was the drive shaft flexing and coming into contact with the parking brake cable tubes. There is a fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 12:54 AM   #9
msginnie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Pull the plugs and look for shiney specks imbedded in the spark plug ground strap. If the specks are present then it is a sure shine of detonation . Pulling the plugs will also help you determine if your engine is running too lean, too rich or just right. It is very hard to describe what detonation sounds like but once you know how it sounds like you will able to know that sound any time you hear it.
Appreciate 0