ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

04-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

NOVA/DMV driving pet peeves

I will start...

I dunno if it's a regional thing, but i've lived in Chicago and NYC before NoVA, but no one here seems to use turn indicators when changing lanes...or turning in general.

Pet peeve is when one merges or cuts me off and not even have the common decency to put on your blinkers. *AAARRRGGHHH*
      04-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
I will start...

I dunno if it's a regional thing, but i've lived in Chicago and NYC before NoVA, but no one here seems to use turn indicators when changing lanes...or turning in general.

Pet peeve is when one merges or cuts me off and not even have the common decency to put on your blinkers. *AAARRRGGHHH*
Problem is most here see a turn signal and they think it means speed up and don't let them in! Therefore we practice, just beat them to the spot without notice. Welcome to NOVA.
      04-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
mnesia
BMW CCA # 418298
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Coupe

Garage List
Seems like some NOVA/urban drivers use their turn signals as a "right" because for some reason, they weren't paying attention to their responsibilities or using common sense in congested areas. IMO these types of drivers are superb in exercising a turn signal lever, but they suffer from an inability to effectively use the accelerator as they change lanes & stay out of your way -this causes more of a problem for all drivers. If the "turn signal is my right" drivers would incorporate use of the accelerator as they tried to change lanes - all would be good -- the majority of NOVA drivers aren't able to do this effectively. Bottom Line: you have to cut these folks off or pay the price of having a grade A boob driving in front of you. Besides, someone behind you will be driving a Prius, or some other 'efficient car' -- they'll have the treasured coexist, save the planet, and "make peace - not war bumper" stickers to help the poor, needy, turn signal obsessed driver get their way.

Last edited by mnesia; 04-24-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnesia View Post
Seems like some NOVA/urban drivers use their turn signals as a "right" because for some reason, they weren't paying attention to their responsibilities or using common sense in congested areas. IMO these types of drivers are superb in exercising a turn signal lever, but they suffer from an inability to effectively use the accelerator as they change lanes & stay out of your way -this causes more of a problem for all drivers. If the "turn signal is my right" drivers would incorporate use of the accelerator as they tried to change lanes - all would be good -- the majority of NOVA drivers aren't able to do this effectively. Bottom Line: you have to cut these folks off or pay the price of having a grade A boob driving in front of you. Besides, someone behind you will be driving a Prius, or some other 'efficient car' -- they'll have the treasured coexist, save the planet, and "make peace - not war bumper" stickers to help the poor, needy, turn signal obsessed driver get their way.
Watch a bit too much Fox News don't cha?
      04-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
I will start...

Even after 20 years on and off in the US this still drives me nuts from the day I first arrived from Europe. indeed appears to be more noticeable here in the south vs time I spent up north. In Houston a signal, if actually used, simply means a right of way for that driver and certainly nothing as lame as signaling intent
      04-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

we need to get where we need to go. i get it if you are unfamiliar with the road and need to switch into the right lane. just put your blinkers on and i will gladly let you in.

NoVA drivers actually speed up when you put our blinkers on, as to punish or to be punitive.

I'd put up with the douchy driving if most of them were also decent drivers in weather conditions other than dry.
      04-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
we need to get where we need to go. i get it if you are unfamiliar with the road and need to switch into the right lane. just put your blinkers on and i will gladly let you in.

NoVA drivers actually speed up when you put our blinkers on, as to punish or to be punitive.

I'd put up with the douchy driving if most of them were also decent drivers in weather conditions other than dry.
we surpassed LA as the worst area to drive in a while ago. So we have that going for us.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
All these comments are spot on and the EXACT reason why I left NOVA. I bought a house inside the beltway when I worked there so I could either bicycle or METRO to work. My car sat in the driveway for 4 years.

Last edited by AIRPOWER; 04-29-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Watch a bit too much Fox News don't cha?
So you have said bumper stickers on your Prius? I find it hysterical that anyone that doesn't buy into the DC/NoVa liberal mantra is a Fox News viewer.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Pothole trucks that have fill & spray attachments. They leave shit all over the place, tar overspray and filler that is never completely covered by the sand drying layer. Ends up all over my clean car ever time I run over the stuff. Better than hitting a polehole, yes but spending the time every weekend cleaning this crap off my wheels & fender rear quarters really burns me!

If they just did a better job at filling and sealing, and why the hell not? Peeved!!
      04-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #11
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Uber/taxi drivers in NOVA. Pretty sure the requirement is that you have to have failed your driving test and have no idea what driving courtesy even means.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
Yeoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Biggest issue for me are the idiots sitting in the left lane going at or below the speed limit. 66 is the worst for this, especially inside the beltway. VA/MD needs more active enforcement of the left lane pass only law, because it does nothing but lead to aggressive driving.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
I gave this some thought and what really irritated me the most was the untimed sequential traffic lights and the stupid red light cams they are starting to put up

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

TEXTers.... or cell phoners (sans hands free)...you can spot em...lagging speed, drifting a bit, not in to other lane but overall a risk and not really using "peripherals".

I ride a motorcycle too which allows me to see in to cars a bit easier, and i'd say 95 percent of drivers out there are using their phones it sucks.

another one... people who don't know how to just lay off the gas, but instead use brakes in stop n go -ish, developing traffic jams. If you just drive a somewhat safe distance, and lay off gas, you will help the stream of traffic. Cannot stand when there's a bit of traffic the tail gaters who then need to constantly hit brakes due to stop n go....not only is it dangerous, it actually makes the jam worse due to the variable speed.
      04-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #15
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
TEXTers.... or cell phoners (sans hands free)...you can spot em...lagging speed, drifting a bit, not in to other lane but overall a risk and not really using "peripherals".
I literally saw a woman driver once putting on full makeup while rolling along at 50mph on GWParkway in the morning commute
Appreciate 1