E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > code P0306 and a short story

04-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

code P0306 and a short story

TL;DR: Got a P0306 code. Gonna swap out the coil & inspect spark plug/VCG for leaks.

The whole story, if you're interested: Yesterday the GF calls me around lunchtime freaking out b/c the car is sputtering, etc. and the check engine light came on. I told her I would check it out later in the evening. I figured it was probably a misfire. When I got home she said the car drove fine on the evening commute.

Took car to auto zone and asked about the code reader. The guy goes out to the parking lot with me & then I tell him the check engine light is not on at the moment & its running fine. He says the code won't show up while the light isn't on. Okay whatever. I ask to go back in the store & price a coil. The price was for some duralast P.O.S. for $40. Yeah whatever! I tell him thanks & walk outside.

As it turns out, there is another BMW sitting next to me in the parking lot. I believe it was an e39. Anyway, this fellow BMW pilot had overheard me talking to the Auto Zone employee. He says to me, "hey, I've got a code reader right here and I'll scan it for you." Wow, great! Anyway he hooks it up and it does show a stored code P0306 so I know I've got a misfire on #6.

We discussed probably a good idea to inspect the plug and the spark plug well in addition to checking for a leaking VCG. All in all a very nice & helpful fellow!

Okay now a quick question...2006 325i is the correct part number for a coil 0221504465 ?

Also, the cheapest places I have found online are autohausaz.com ($25.51/Bosch) and fcpeuro.com ($27.99/Bosch). Has anyone ordered from these folks before? I usually order from Pelican or BAVauto.

One more thing...no I am not switching out all the coils on this car...not sure how much longer it will be around. I may order a spare one just in case.

Happy Friday!

EDIT: just realized its not friday. well that sucks!

Last edited by hockeyplayer; 04-23-2015 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

You can verify the part number here:
www.realoem.com . Key in the last 7 of the vin then drill your way to the part.
I love and order from Autohausaz.com all the time. If they have the part they're usually cheapest and ship quickly.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 1