E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking about replacing my e90 335 xdrive with a 2016 Focus RS~

04-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi -> E90 N55

Thinking about replacing my e90 335 xdrive with a 2016 Focus RS~

Drift mode! I've never been so excited by hatchback (as I'm not a hatchback fan and always think that Sti looks much better in a sedan version)...I just really don't like how xdrive is always the lesser sporty one when compared with the RWD siblings (like an AWD to get up snow covered steep inclines). Also e90 is missing the "hooligan" look (I cannot order an Sti without the giant wing in the back!) I was thinking of ordering a Sti but one problem with the Sti is that the engine is too dated. Horrible fuel consumption for the power it is getting. Chassis is excellent tho. Or maybe a Golf R? But the S3 is the same platform and behaves too much like a FWD. Anyone else is in the same boat?

Last edited by LaserPower; 04-22-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
335iOnATuesday
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Red Blur

A bmw to a ford?

Blasphemy...
Appreciate 4
      04-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I was opposite. I was going tonwait for the focus rs to be released, bit what turned me off of it was the manual only.

Now I know what you guys will say about that lol but, for me, I have to have the luxury of switching vehicles once in a while and have my wife drive any of the cars we own, as she can't drive stick.

Otherwise, ya, I would buy an RS in a heartbeat, then again, I think to myself that I'm almost 35 years old and a boy racer hatchback won't fit me too well anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower
Drift mode! I've never been so excited by hatchback (as I'm not a hatchback fan and always think that Sti looks much better in a sedan version)...I just really don't like how xdrive is always the lesser sporty one when compared with the RWD siblings (like an AWD to get up snow covered steep inclines). Also e90 is missing the "holligan" look (I cannot order an Sti without the giant wing in the back!) I was thinking of ordering a Sti but one problem with the Sti is that the engine is too dated. Horrible fuel consumption for the power it is getting. Chassis is excellent tho. Or maybe a Golf R? But the S3 is the same platform and behaves too much like a FWD. Anyone else is in the same boat?
So many cars.

What are you trying to accomplish. We'll go from there
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
JeM9
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R.I.P. 11 328i AT

Since when is there such thing as a "holligan" look and why are you trying to achieve this look?

ps. I'm assuming you meant "hooligan".
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeM9 View Post
Since when is there such thing as a "holligan" look and why are you trying to achieve this look?

Come on, hooligan "boy racer" look all have the big spoilers. Dunno why he wants to look the part, but maybe he's a bit of a lady and wants to look tough? Lol jk

Fuck I'm bored, I'm posting everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
JeM9
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R.I.P. 11 328i AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
Come on, hooligan "boy racer" look all have the big spoilers. Dunno why he wants to look the part, but maybe he's a bit of a lady and wants to look tough? Lol jk

Oh, never heard of such a thing when it comes to driving a car. OP must be 18-19
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Fords are pretty easy to fix. The problem is circled on the trunk, right from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
BMDoublYou
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335xi / 08 E82 128i

Whatever floats your boat, tickles your pickle, or gets your meat, loaf.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Fords are pretty easy to fix. The problem is circled on the trunk, right from the factory.

I had an extremely... extremely terrible experience with a Ford. It has been BY FAR the absolute WORST vehicle I had the unfortunate displeasure of owning.

I'll NEVER and I truly mean NEVER own another Ford vehicle again.

I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing, my g-d that was one headache of a vehicle. Ah well, lesson learned for my parents and I.

Granted they may have truly improved since my misfortune and my experience may have only been an anomaly, but I'm certainly not willing to find out again.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Do it! I tried to wait for it but instead I got my next favorite car which was a 335. I got the drive the hatch RS in Europe...what a fun car!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post

I had an extremely... extremely terrible experience with a Ford. It has been BY FAR the absolute WORST vehicle I had the unfortunate displeasure of owning.

I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing, my g-d that was one headache of a vehicle. Ah well, lesson learned for my parents and I.

Granted they may have truly improved since my misfortune and my experience may have only been an anomaly, but I'm certainly not willing to find out again.
Did you happen to own a focus with the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #13
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iOnATuesday View Post
A bmw to a ford?

Blasphemy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
I don't care so much about the brand. Long as it is a good driver's car in the first place. Luxury can come in second.

Quote:
I was opposite. I was going tonwait for the focus rs to be released, bit what turned me off of it was the manual only.

Now I know what you guys will say about that lol but, for me, I have to have the luxury of switching vehicles once in a while and have my wife drive any of the cars we own, as she can't drive stick.

Otherwise, ya, I would buy an RS in a heartbeat, then again, I think to myself that I'm almost 35 years old and a boy racer hatchback won't fit me too well anymore.
Lucky for me, my girlfriend is very willing to learn to drive a manual lol~

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Oh, never heard of such a thing when it comes to driving a car. OP must be 18-19
LOL I do wish I am 19 still, and you guys are boring. I don't care so much about what other would see of me. I do like to look back at my car every day after I parked. The look of the 335 even with the m sport package on is starting to give me a 'meh' feeling. It is pretty, but not sharp, sort of 'pretty girl in business attire' rather than 'pony tail and short skirt'. Plus the Jerez Black I got is boring too. Only on a sunny day I can see the black turn slightly blue...I love the bright nitrous blue on the RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
So many cars.

What are you trying to accomplish. We'll go from there
Looking for something that is faster around a track than a PPK 335 xdrive, neutral with a slight oversteering tendency on power, manual or double clutch transmission, less than 50k cad, AWD as I go into the mountains often in winter (I'm not going into the AWD vs RWD in snow debate...The reason I want AWD as there are some snow covered steeper inclines sometimes I want to climb, and that's the only thing a RWD cannot achieve when there is considerable snow on ground), somewhat practical (if there is a roof rack for it then it's good enough, e.g. anything meets or exceeds the practicality of a Carrera 4S, don't laugh, I would buy one if I can afford one).

And then the problems I found with a couple of competitions,
Sti: Big bonus for handling and the large spoilers in the back. Interior is acceptable. Seats are comfortable but can be tighter. Gas pedal can be slightly higher. But turbo lag is horrible, engine is outdated and inefficient (for the power it is making, it almost has the same consumption as a M3...), bell and whistles are somewhat lacking for the high sticker price. The infotainment system is from 90s...Now if only they update the engine...

A45 AMG: Interesting. But they are not going to sell it in Canada...only the mellower version CLA45 will be on sale...why we always get the mellower version...?

S3: Comfort and luxury is good, efficient engine, very crisp and fast down shifting double clutch, predictable, but has tendency of understeering at limit like any Audi, horribly boring look (I like the day time running light. That's it, the hatchback version looks so much better even I do not like hatchback in general), steep sticker price...Not really any better than my 335 in anyway. Would not trade.

S4 (around 2011,12): More willing to rotate than S3 with sport differential, but still understeers regardless of what you do at limit. Less predictable than S3, same boring look as any other Audi (R8 and 5 maybe a slight exception). Vague steering. Older gen infotainment was horrible (I like the latest version tho). More or less the same thing as 335. Recaros are too wide...I thought I am fat but apparently not fat enough for those seats...

M235 xdrive: Pretty much the same thing as my current 335, only smaller, minus the manual, minus the still-has-feeling steering. Don't think I will go down that route.

I'm looking at the Golf R or Focus RS. Golf R share the same platform with S3 so I don't have much high hope. Review also said the tendency of understeering. RS, although based on a FWD car, the drift mode made clear that it is a car that is willing to rotate so I have a higher hope...

I think I'm bored too...
      04-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
Do it! I tried to wait for it but instead I got my next favorite car which was a 335. I got the drive the hatch RS in Europe...what a fun car!
Lol lucky you for getting to drive the earlier RS. Europe's getting all the nice stuff and NA just gets the 'tone-down' 'mellower' version...Seems most people here just care about 0-60 when talks about performance. The new RS promises a laternal grip exceeding 1G is very exciting, plus the drift mode.
      04-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #15
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post

Ford has made some big strides in quality lately, but time will tell as to how long they last.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #16
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Laserpower, are you in Canada? You said you have Jerez black, you have an SE? Also, I'm not boring. I had a JDM Celica GT4 til I was 31
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post
Drift mode! I've never been so excited by hatchback (as I'm not a hatchback fan and always think that Sti looks much better in a sedan version)...I just really don't like how xdrive is always the lesser sporty one when compared with the RWD siblings (like an AWD to get up snow covered steep inclines). Also e90 is missing the "hooligan" look (I cannot order an Sti without the giant wing in the back!)
By "hooligan" I assume you mean "boy racer." You are also looking at a hopped up economy car vs. a sporty entry luxury car. Two very different animals.

Quote:
I have to have the luxury of switching vehicles once in a while and have my wife drive any of the cars we own, as she can't drive stick.
You could just teach her to drive stick.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #18
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post
I am 19 still, and you guys are boring. I don't care so much about what other would see of me. I do like to look back at my car every day after I parked. The look of the 335 even with the m sport package on is starting to give me a 'meh' feeling. It is pretty, but not sharp, sort of 'pretty girl in business attire' rather than 'pony tail and short skirt'. Plus the Jerez Black I got is boring too. Only on a sunny day I can see the black turn slightly blue...I love the bright nitrous blue on the RS.
If you want a sports or aggressive "manly" car, buy one - plenty out there that aren't beefed up econo-boxes.

That said, at 19, I'm guessing you are either:
- Sponsored by mommy and daddy motorsports
OR
- Like making really dumb financial decisions

19 is not the time to be buying 40k brand new cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #19
Douche
Banned
Rep

So based on everything you said, why do you want to replace your car anyway?
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #20
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
This...The Bimmer is big $$ to fix but other that that, it owns the Ford....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #21
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335
Quote:
This...The Bimmer is big $$ to fix but other that that, it owns the Ford....
Apart from being new and having warranty, I'm not so sure the Ford is that much cheaper (if any) to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #22
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Interesting. And my objective opinion...

My wife has a 2014 ford fusion titanium 2.0T. I change the oil etc. Each time i change it on the ff, as mean it may sound the finish on the oil pan, transmission etc. reminds me of my lawn mower.

Next gas mileage, they claim 34 mpg i think on the hwy. even with her best driving she can barely get 32. My 335i gets more than 33 on the hwy.