BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #1
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Another impression of G11/G12 7 Series from Miami private reveal event

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I held off reading the other thread until after attending the event last evening. Miami was chosen as the kick off city for several reasons, none of which had to do with the lease cap rate demographic. Invitations were sent to a vast range of individuals in order to accomplish the events goal. Some were relatively new to the BMW family, others long engrained, while some have never had a BMW in the household. The event will move on from here to 11 additional cities.

I don't post much on the forums due to the nature of my involvement in the auto industry so I will hold back some of what I already knew due to my involvement with product development and what I learned at the event. One of the biggest surprises is how active executives from BMW personally read these forums and do so every day.

Now, onto the car. I must say it came together better than I originally thought based off of technical drawings and the few uncovered spy shots floating around. It's not nearly as bulbous in person as in the images. More 6er Gran Coupe only slightly plumper in profile and rear/rear quarter view. The headlamps are sized in between the current F10 LCI with LED and the F15 X5. The smaller details on the exterior such as the side window moldings are exquisite. Personally though I can't seem to warm up to the straight on front view. There is one design detail that hasnt been seen since the E34 departed and its modern interpretation feels too pushed for my taste. Exterior colors are mostly carried over from current BMW offerings. BMW Individual will be more extensive than before however.

Interior is where this car shows steps ahead of the current 7er. I consider the overall design to be more evolutionary than revolutionary, but the detailing on the interior above the base model is something never seen before in a BMW. Details from the Vision Future Luxury have made it through to production with a bit of Rolls Royce sprinkled on top for good measure. It's stunning but at the same time I can't help but wonder if they've gone a bit too far in the passenger offerings for a brand who's Laurels are focused on the driving experience. None the less it's spectacular and most definitely class leading.

Technology is probably where I'm the least wowed. What's been expected for years is present, and despite understanding the process and implementation, still think it should and could have been done differently while still allowing for future growth and not introducing something overly radical like the introduction of iDrive for the first time...

- I'm dumbfounded by the touchscreen. Every car maker who still utilizes a touchscreen is reminded of this in nearly every consumer review. They're fine when stationary but difficult to use when the vehicle is in motion.

- Gesture Recognition I think is a great idea and where we're headed mainstream in the future. But I can see the reviews now with comments such as "moving as if conducting a symphony" and "I'm watching you Focker." I think there should be a few more gestures available on launch and the recognition area focused lower around the center console.

Adaptive Drive - why add a redundant button to tell the car to perform a function automatically when nearly every car has done so without the need for a button for decades past and will continue to do so whether it's pressed or not? And why are the suspension settings still labeled in a manner that I've seen cause more confusion for non enthusiast buyers than anything else I've seen for quite some time. How about Eco, Comfort, Automatic (where it defaults most of the time anyway) Sport, maybe Sport +?

- Ambient Lighting...it was too bright to truly get a feel for it. I just hope it's not as awful as the S65 I had last week. Great in photos but awful in person. Glass roof seems like it will be one of those novelty/new passenger conversation features that will begin to go unnoticed or become annoying over time.

- Camera Systems - I see where it's going in the near future and really wish it wasn't presented in the manner it was. It makes sense when taking remote parking into consideration but not as a way to avoid kerbing a wheel. I can see drivers now trying to adjust the view to avoid a kerb only to be startled by the collision avoidance triggering to prevent slamming into another object.

As critical as some of these are, many are easily rectified and one thing made up for almost all of them. BMW was kind enough to fly over a second M Sport Equipped car yesterday and if you know what to look for, it's even more special. Unlike the current Generation, the new M Sport makes the car. It's athletic yet refined and elegant and just makes the new 7 really stand out from the competition.

I give it a solid 8.5 out of 10 with M Sport, and with some tweaks here and there easily see it bumping up to a 9.5 in my book and make me reconsider the Ghost Series II I've ordered.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-17-2015 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
BMW Individual will be more extensive than before however.
That's superb.

I look forward to the following things then:
-Create your own color
-Addition of BLACK STITCHING for the seats and other interior areas

Quote:
BMWwas kind enough to fly over a second M Sport Equipped car yesterday and if you know what to look for, it's even more special. Unlike the current Generation, the new M Sport makes the car. It's athletic yet refined and elegant and just makes the new 7 really stand out from the competition.

I give it a solid 8.5 out of 10 with M Sport, and with some tweaks here and there easily see it bumping up to a 9.5 in my book and make me reconsider the Ghost Series II I've ordered.
Wow that's nice to hear. Suddenly the hype for the next-gen 760Li M-Sport just went up to a whole other level.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

The M-Sport sounds very interesting . Looking forward to seeing it.
      04-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
There is one design detail that hasnt been seen since the E34 departed and its modern interpretation feels too pushed for my taste.
Could you elaborate on this design detail? Is it exterior or interior?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
That's superb.

I look forward to the following things then:
-Create your own color
-Addition of BLACK STITCHING for the seats and other interior areas

Wow that's nice to hear. Suddenly the hype for the next-gen 760Li M-Sport just went up to a whole other level.
Keep in mind this is in comparison to the existing standard individual packages for the U.S. market. It's safe to assume RoW will continue as norm and true tailored individual program available to US clients a little while after launch.

Quote:
Not only is it attractive, but it's what I would call a new form and vision compared to the MSport of the past. One size doesn't fit all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
Could you elaborate on this design detail? Is it exterior or interior?
I value the professional relationships and trust placed upon me too much to completely divulge. I will say it is an exterior design element, small in size, but large in effect. I have to take back my reference to the E34 though. It's a design element that has been shown on one concept and has made it to a production car however the effect is completely different to my eye on the 7. It isn't visible in any spy photos, the Chinese leaked photos, or any of the renderings I have seen. If someone else knows what I'm referring to, it's their decision to elaborate further.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-17-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:15 AM   #7
Blackraven
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Keep in mind this is in comparison to the existing standard individual packages for the U.S. market. It's safe to assume RoW will continue as norm and true tailored individual program available to US clients a little while after launch.
Ah I see.

In the current Individual program, there were certain colors that were available for an added fee (like PYRITE BROWN METALLIC). I guess with the new and improved Individual program, any buyer of the new 7 series can choose from a wider color palette:

So does that mean colors such as JAVA GREEN, DAKAR YELLOW, LONG BEACH BLUE, SEPANG BRONZE, FROZEN MATTE BLUE METALLIC and SEPIA VIOLET will br available?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:59 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Ah I see.

In the current Individual program, there were certain colors that were available for an added fee (like PYRITE BROWN METALLIC). I guess with the new and improved Individual program, any buyer of the new 7 series can choose from a wider color palette:

So does that mean colors such as JAVA GREEN, DAKAR YELLOW, LONG BEACH BLUE, SEPANG BRONZE, FROZEN MATTE BLUE METALLIC and SEPIA VIOLET will br available?
I would be surprised TBH. No other BMW cars come with any Interesting colours STD.
One thing about Jaguar, you get a very wide choice of colours.
      04-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #9
Blackraven
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I would be surprised TBH. No other BMW cars come with any Interesting colours STD.
Yeah it reminds of what Blue.Thunder got for his M5 where he asked BMW Individual to add color stitching to the headrests of both front and rear seats.

I suppose with the new Individual prorgram, any 7 series buyer can opt for higher levels of customization.

I do have one MINOR concern though:

In the current F01, Black Leather can only be had in Extended Nappa (NASW)

For the next-gen, I expect that there will be a Full Merino option for Black Leather, right?

Quote:
The thing about Jaguar, you get a very wide choice of colours.
Color choice for Jaguar seems to be pretty much in line with Audi, BMW and MB.

In the Jaguar XJ, there are two kinds of Black (Ebony and Ultimate Black Metallic......dunno which one is more Black haha). In Bentley, it's much more difficult to choose because there are AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT BLACK COLORS haha xD

Anyways, for the next-gen 760 Li M-Sport, there's only one color I'm looking out for:

668 - Black (a.k.a. Jet Black / Schwarz II)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Quote:
BMW Individual will be more extensive than before however.
Am I the only one who read "more expensive" the first time?

Thanks for elaborating on the car, I agree with most of your comments regarding the new useless stuff like the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
Am I the only one who read "more expensive" the first time?

Thanks for elaborating on the car, I agree with most of your comments regarding the new useless stuff like the touchscreen.
Haha I would say both are correct in a way. Individual options and Composition has only been directly marketed in the U.S. for a small number of years now. Though for people in the know and willing to put in the effort it was possible to go beyond those fixed packages/colors/etc. What was presented at the event for interiors showed more content and variety than before.

For instance, non individual interiors have approximately the same number of colors and are not much different than current offerings as one would expect. But what was new is the multiple types/quality of materials and style these colors are available in. If anyone else who attended was there recalls differently, feel free to chime in but I recall 6 standard interior colors with 2 - 4 different layouts depending on the color and Design Line selected. For individual i believe 10 colors were shown with 2-3 variations of layout available.

The touchscreen is something that would always bother me personally. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but one of those "I wish it had been_______" items. In fact...I wish it had been a next generation improvement to the touchpad controller where contact and gesture recognition had been incorporated and focused towards. But that's just me and there will always be multiple ways to do something but only one will be decided upon. It could have been worse and be as horrid as the Mercedes Comand system that I thought couldn't be more annoying until I picked up an AMG C Class last night to evaluate. Its not the least bit intuitive at all, uncomfortable, and the only thing I can say positive about it is the graphics.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-20-2015 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
adamg13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Quote:
I do have one MINOR concern though:

In the current F01, Black Leather can only be had in Extended Nappa (NASW)

For the next-gen, I expect that there will be a Full Merino option for Black Leather, right?
)
I feel you on that. An all black interior is what I always go back to after trying something else. With a black headliner it's just the chill-zone in there. Surprised they only offer full merino black on the M's.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #13
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Thanks for the personal notes.
      04-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Thanks. This is a great thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg13 View Post
I feel you on that. An all black interior is what I always go back to after trying something else. With a black headliner it's just the chill-zone in there. Surprised they only offer full merino black on the M's.
It's the result of cost/benefit analysis. The M5/6 and 6er GC are unique in the that they come standard with Individual features. What many don't have knowledge of are the obstacles in Governmental Regulations that impact something so seemingly simple combined with the uptake rate. I learned many years ago when working with Audi to bring the Exclusive Program to the U.S., every type of interior material that will be offered must go through crash testing before it is sold here. Since Merino is already in our base M5 or M6 and black has to be offered, it's there by default. For the 7 though, it's 1-2 level cost options above the optional Nappa and from the uptake perspective, the number of buyers willing to pay those figures doesn't justify the marketing costs. That said though, if one was willing to pay the costs for the special request (Hyde size and quantity is what mostly comes into play here) and patient enough and absolutely had to have black merino individual on a 7er, it could be done.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-20-2015 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #16
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
I held off reading the other thread until after attending the event last evening. Miami was chosen as the kick off city for several reasons, none of which had to do with the lease cap rate demographic. Invitations were sent to a vast range of individuals in order to accomplish the events goal. Some were relatively new to the BMW family, others long engrained, while some have never had a BMW in the household. The event will move on from here to 11 additional cities.

I don't post much on the forums due to the nature of my involvement in the auto industry so I will hold back some of what I already knew due to my involvement with product development and what I learned at the event. One of the biggest surprises is how active executives from BMW personally read these forums and do so every day.

Now, onto the car. I must say it came together better than I originally thought based off of technical drawings and the few uncovered spy shots floating around. It's not nearly as bulbous in person as in the images. More 6er Gran Coupe only slightly plumper in profile and rear/rear quarter view. The headlamps are sized in between the current F10 LCI with LED and the F15 X5. The smaller details on the exterior such as the side window moldings are exquisite. Personally though I can't seem to warm up to the straight on front view. There is one design detail that hasnt been seen since the E34 departed and its modern interpretation feels too pushed for my taste. Exterior colors are mostly carried over from current BMW offerings. BMW Individual will be more extensive than before however.

Interior is where this car shows steps ahead of the current 7er. I consider the overall design to be more evolutionary than revolutionary, but the detailing on the interior above the base model is something never seen before in a BMW. Details from the Vision Future Luxury have made it through to production with a bit of Rolls Royce sprinkled on top for good measure. It's stunning but at the same time I can't help but wonder if they've gone a bit too far in the passenger offerings for a brand who's Laurels are focused on the driving experience. None the less it's spectacular and most definitely class leading.

Technology is probably where I'm the least wowed. What's been expected for years is present, and despite understanding the process and implementation, still think it should and could have been done differently while still allowing for future growth and not introducing something overly radical like the introduction of iDrive for the first time...

- I'm dumbfounded by the touchscreen. Every car maker who still utilizes a touchscreen is reminded of this in nearly every consumer review. They're fine when stationary but difficult to use when the vehicle is in motion.

- Gesture Recognition I think is a great idea and where we're headed mainstream in the future. But I can see the reviews now with comments such as "moving as if conducting a symphony" and "I'm watching you Focker." I think there should be a few more gestures available on launch and the recognition area focused lower around the center console.

Adaptive Drive - why add a redundant button to tell the car to perform a function automatically when nearly every car has done so without the need for a button for decades past and will continue to do so whether it's pressed or not? And why are the suspension settings still labeled in a manner that I've seen cause more confusion for non enthusiast buyers than anything else I've seen for quite some time. How about Eco, Comfort, Automatic (where it defaults most of the time anyway) Sport, maybe Sport +?

- Ambient Lighting...it was too bright to truly get a feel for it. I just hope it's not as awful as the S65 I had last week. Great in photos but awful in person. Glass roof seems like it will be one of those novelty/new passenger conversation features that will begin to go unnoticed or become annoying over time.

- Camera Systems - I see where it's going in the near future and really wish it wasn't presented in the manner it was. It makes sense when taking remote parking into consideration but not as a way to avoid kerbing a wheel. I can see drivers now trying to adjust the view to avoid a kerb only to be startled by the collision avoidance triggering to prevent slamming into another object.

As critical as some of these are, many are easily rectified and one thing made up for almost all of them. BMW was kind enough to fly over a second M Sport Equipped car yesterday and if you know what to look for, it's even more special. Unlike the current Generation, the new M Sport makes the car. It's athletic yet refined and elegant and just makes the new 7 really stand out from the competition.

Great write-up, love what rests in your stable! Are you replacing your 2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed with the Ghost II?

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #17
omegaSMP300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S, Boxster GTS, R8 V10+

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing!
2017 R8 V10 Plus, 2016 Boxster GTS, 2015 Macan S, 2015 V12 Vantage S - Pending Sale, 2013 911 C4S - Sold, 2012 V8 Vantage S - Sold, 2013 DB9 - Sold, 2011 997.2 Targa 4s - Sold, 2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Sold, 2013 981 Boxster S - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2010 E60 M5 - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2011.5 E90 M3 - Sold, 2006 325i - Sold, 2004 Mazda6 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #18
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
I personally hate the ipad type tacked on screen. Thats one design feature that has gone downhill, though I understand its a lot easier to maintain
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
Great write-up, love what rests in your stable! Are you replacing your 2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed with the Ghost II?
No the GT is the better half's and will probably stay until the Bentley SUV arrives and replaces it and the G63 or G65 depending on which one arrives first.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #20
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
There is one design detail that hasnt been seen since the E34 departed and its modern interpretation feels too pushed for my taste.
Wonder what this could be. Is it the black horizontal pieces on the front bumper?

Here's a screenshot from the preview vid
at 3:23

Obviously too blurry to really see much, just wild speculation lol
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #21
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Wonder what this could be. Is it the black horizontal pieces on the front bumper?

Here's a screenshot from the preview vid
at 3:23

Obviously too blurry to really see much, just wild speculation lol
I botched this one more than I thought.

E32 7 was what I was picturing in my head and completely forgot about one recent concept and production model that do have a similar feature, most likely because they both are executed in a way different from the 7 has it. But no it is not the horizontal trim strips as you asked.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:

What are examples of these details of which you speak? How specifically do they differ from the current 7-Series? How are they similar to one of RR's models?

Would you share enough details so we your readers can concur or not, based upon your sharing of your detailed observations.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0