THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Solutions for dusty garage besides moving / cleaning

04-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Solutions for dusty garage besides moving / cleaning

My condo parking garage is pretty dusty. 2 days after washing my car it looks a mess. Any suggestions for how to manage? Right now I'm washing my car a little more than once a week.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EBII M235i

Could it be bad weather sealing on the door? Maybe wind is getting in and kicking stuff up?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight View Post
My condo parking garage is pretty dusty. 2 days after washing my car it looks a mess. Any suggestions for how to manage? Right now I'm washing my car a little more than once a week.
Not sure what the issue is. Is the car dusty or the garage? Is it a single car garage or shared? What are you using to wash and wax? Pollen season in your area? Need more clarity to help I think.
      04-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

If its not a shared garage maybe try running an air filter?

Edit: parking garage sounds shared to me...sorry.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight View Post
If it's dust no detailing product is going to repell it. BMW Accessories offers a car cover ( I have one, very nice and use for sun protection ) and lightweight indoor custom covers are available - you wouldn't want to put a cover on a dusty car and some of the indoor dust covers are very form fitting like a sock and I don't think that is good.

Black paint + dust + car-cover you could get some paint markings.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

It's not dust getting into the car or an issue with the car, it's that the garage is dusty. Washing and waxing with Meguier's products when I can, sometimes using an automatic wash - a day or two later sitting in my condo's parking garage and the car is covered with dust. It's a shared garage, no issues with pollen. The garage just has a layer of dirt / dust all over the place that is kicked up when vehicles drive through to parking spots - I think the place is power washed on a monthly basis but doesn't get rid of the problem.

Something like a California duster I read from threads here can scratch the surface, and I've thought about the car cover idea Scott suggests, but seems a hassle to remove/put back on just to park and as mentioned might also have the abrasive effect. Was wondering if anyone had any smart ideas what to do about this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
blanquito
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M235i

I am in a similar situation where my car is parked in a condominium parking garage overnight. Within a day or two there is a layer of black dust.

I do a lot of touch-less car washes for in between washes/ get the dust off before a hand wash. I have read bad things about them stripping wax and what not, but my local place seems to be rather stingy with the chemicals and does not seem to be an issue.

If you have a self wash place with a pressure washer, you can simple just rinse it down with that - the dust comes off fairly nicely with those.

I found a car cover to be only good if I planned on leaving my car for a while. But if this is a DD - then it will probably do more harm then good.