E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water Leak in passenger side footwell

04-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
toniostyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Water Leak in passenger side footwell

Does anyone know if there's a fix or remedy to avoid water from coming in from the A/C vent that goes to the cabin filter. I have a leak on the passenger side footwell and is dripping from the bottow of the Blower motor unit. After carefully looking for where the water is coming from, it looks like is coming from the outside vent that leads to the cabin filter.

Also... is there a way to code or fix the A/C so it will NOT open the outside air vents. Because that would help with the leak. The A/C vent automatically opens when I turn off the A/C unit or when I turn off the car. Im in Florida and it rains often here and having that vent open is causing the water to come in

Thank for you help
      04-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Check the engine cowl under the hood. There is a rubber seal maybe not properly installed. Also have you removed the dead leaves from the evacuation passages @ when clogged water does overflow in that area. Coding the car is unnecessary the problem is upstream.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Vut
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 328 xi

To add to Meeni's comment, it is probably the seal that runs along the bottom of the windshield and connects to the plastic cowl that you rests under the hood and over the bottom of the windshield.

I had the same problem everytime I took my car threw a car wash and took it to the dealer. They said its because someone installed an aftermarket windshield and and didn't install the seal, they just used caulking/sealant.

My temporary solution was to use black duct-tape and sealed the plastic cowl to the windshield. Held up through a Canadian winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
toniostyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vut View Post
To add to Meeni's comment, it is probably the seal that runs along the bottom of the windshield and connects to the plastic cowl that you rests under the hood and over the bottom of the windshield.

I had the same problem everytime I took my car threw a car wash and took it to the dealer. They said its because someone installed an aftermarket windshield and and didn't install the seal, they just used caulking/sealant.

My temporary solution was to use black duct-tape and sealed the plastic cowl to the windshield. Held up through a Canadian winter.

Thats what Im blaming it on... I've had my winshield replaced 2 years ago and it did not leak until a week ago.
      04-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
toniostyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Check the engine cowl under the hood. There is a rubber seal maybe not properly installed. Also have you removed the dead leaves from the evacuation passages @ when clogged water does overflow in that area. Coding the car is unnecessary the problem is upstream.

The area were leaves collect I keep it clean all the time... Its looks like is due to the Cowl at the botton of the winshield ($110 + tax at the dealer). Im afraid to install it myself and not make it seal properly again.
      04-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
toniostyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I removed the A/C blower motor this weekend to try to clean it and dry any water left in it (using DIY from here) and now it wont turn on.

All I did was unplug it, remove any water inside (it had a small amount of water) dry it and plug it back in. BTW... it was working right before I removed it

Last edited by toniostyle; 04-20-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
toniostyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well... Im confused. I got home and made sure that the blower motor was plug-in. And it was. So... I unplugged it and plug it back in and nothing. Then I took the blower motor out and plugged it while out of its case and it turns on just fine.... What gives. Now is working fine.