F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Slightly OT; Euro road trip?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Slightly OT; Euro road trip?

As the weather gets a little better, so the attention turns to planning a summer holiday. We've sort of had enough of AI package holidays, and the kids are now both teenagers so we're toying with the idea of some sort of trip to the continent. We did drive to the Paris area a few years back, and were in Switzerland a couple of years ago but flew there and hired a car.

Does anyone have any thoughts / suggestions on how far is reasonable for 10 days or so? Or maybe you've done something similar. We're currently looking at perhaps spending 5 days or so in a holiday / Centre Parks type place and the rest travelling or visiting other places.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Funnily enough I've just about finished booking a European road trip for my son and I at the end of June. We are doing 3 days in Munich (including BMW factory tour), 3 days in Stuttgart (including Porsche factory tour and Mecedes museum) and finally a day at the Nurburgring before heading back to Manchester via Bruges. 2,000 miles over 9 nights away. Using the euro tunnel on Tesco points.

Really looking forward to it and leave on Father's Day
      04-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
Funnily enough I've just about finished booking a European road trip for my son and I at the end of June. We are doing 3 days in Munich (including BMW factory tour), 3 days in Stuttgart (including Porsche factory tour and Mecedes museum) and finally a day at the Nurburgring before heading back to Manchester via Bruges. 2,000 miles over 9 nights away. Using the euro tunnel on Tesco points.

Been to 2 of your 3 destinations (not done Munich yet) - you'll have a great time and the autobahns (when you get a clear run) are brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
you'll have a great time and the autobahns (when you get a clear run) are brilliant!

I was in Munich this January.

Pretty sure doing 100 is driving in the slow lane. Audi driver are the worst at over taking in the motorways.

Oh and while it was snowing this January, the variable speed limit signs showed a 'reduced' speed of 110km (70mph)

I personally didn't like driving there, since you're always flashed by someone who wants to go faster than you, regardless of how fast you're going, even if you're just overtaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Germany would be a good choice with some Austria thrown in.

If you have never been around Germany it's worth it, very different areas.

Start at North via Holland and work south from there, although you need to factor in a Berlin trip.

Also remember (sacrilege I know) but train travel in Germany is very cheap, check out Seat61.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

The Italian autostrada in my opinion are more fun than the german autobahn.

A couple of years back I drove from Zurich down to Tuscany and my average speed between Milan and Florence was 190km/h. If you're a real car buff you'll love the large groups of performance cars that you'll meet on the roads during the summer as well. Stop at almost any service station and you'll find some touring club meet with all manner of ferraris, lambos and of course maseratis.

Technically there are speed limits on the motorways, but no-one adheres to them!

Furthermore once you arrive in Tuscany the roads around all the little towns are outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Occean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 series

I got flashed at and overtaken by a hearse at 120mph outside Munich while driving an EVO VIII FQ320

It kind of made my day
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like a nice trip. Take it you are hoteling it?

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Germany would be a good choice with some Austria thrown in.

If you have never been around Germany it's worth it, very different areas.

Start at North via Holland and work south from there, although you need to factor in a Berlin trip.

Also remember (sacrilege I know) but train travel in Germany is very cheap, check out Seat61.
Trains?. Mmm. Eurotunnel is about the limit of my ability when it comes to getting on a train.
Germany sounds good though. Need to see what the round trip time / distance would be it total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
The Italian autostrada in my opinion are more fun than the german autobahn.

A couple of years back I drove from Zurich down to Tuscany and my average speed between Milan and Florence was 190km/h. If you're a real car buff you'll love the large groups of performance cars that you'll meet on the roads during the summer as well. Stop at almost any service station and you'll find some touring club meet with all manner of ferraris, lambos and of course maseratis.

Technically there are speed limits on the motorways, but no-one adheres to them!

Furthermore once you arrive in Tuscany the roads around all the little towns are outstanding.
That sounds lovely, but my starting position is a little further north than where you are. We were in Zurich a couple of summers ago but flew in and hired a car. Too far to go unfortunately.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:26 AM   #10
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Sounds like a nice trip. Take it you are hoteling it?
Hotels en route and apartments for Munich and Stuttgart. Nothing fancy!
      04-14-2015, 01:41 AM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Hotels en route and apartments for Munich and Stuttgart. Nothing fancy!
I assume some time in the Black Forest as well?

If someone has not been to Berlin, it's worth a visit.

There are some really good places to visit in Germany, plenty history, variations in foods between areas.

You can notice it's not really been a country for more than about 160 years.

It's a bit over looked at times, as are Scandanavian countries.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
I assume some time in the Black Forest as well?

We did the Black Forest as a family a few years back so only skirting it really as we travel from one car-focused activity to another.

A real boy's trip so Mrs Gatso is staying at home, cutting the grass I hope
      04-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Firstly, Eurotunnel is a must. Book early. It's quick, quiet and excellent value for money.

We have done straight down to Lake Annecy, France in one hit. A few days there, over to Turin via the mountain pass, then Como for a few days, before people heading back via Geneva, then Paris, Rouen, and back over the water. Always always, the most stressful, time consuming, frustrating bit is the bloody British side. Europe side, wonderful driving, wonderful food, lovely people, glorious views and is therefore effortless and worth doing. Leave space for unexpected treats bought on the way round!
Appreciate 1