Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
NYCMikeM4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, DCT

2nd Service Interval

Just picked up my car from the dealership (DFW) for the 2nd scheduled maintenance. Couple interesting things if anyone else has encountered...

1) I was told there was a "recall." When I dropped it off, they amended that to a "software update." Was in a rush to get back for a meeting, so I don't have details, but wondering if anyone's familiar w/such an update? If not, i'll follow-up and include details for anyone interested.

2) Car drives differently for sure. I have the M-DCT, and I was annoyed at its "soft start" (even at max settings). That seems to be resolved -- need to drive more to confirm. Gear changes seem to be improved overall. And, perhaps I'm crazy, but the steering also seems heavier and more direct as well...

Unrelated: I have a very small rattling that sounds like i left a toothpick in my cup holder or something. Best I can tell though, it seems to actually be coming from near (inside) the e-brake/shifter console. Only happens when i'm coasting and is very faint. Will likely get it looked at out of curiosity, however previous experiences w/other BMWs lead me to believe they're not going to find anything... Anyone else experienced similar sound?

first post on the forum; nice to meet you all!

Details: 2015 M4 Coupe, DCT, Mineral White, Lighting, Exec, 19" Wheels, Adaptive Suspension, USB, HK Sound, 9k miles
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Plano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Interesting, i just picked mine up from service and they mentioned nothing of the sort. (Classic BMW in Plano).
      04-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMikeM4 View Post
Just picked up my car from the dealership (DFW) for the 2nd scheduled maintenance. Couple interesting things if anyone else has encountered...

1) I was told there was a "recall." When I dropped it off, they amended that to a "software update." Was in a rush to get back for a meeting, so I don't have details, but wondering if anyone's familiar w/such an update? If not, i'll follow-up and include details for anyone interested.

Unrelated: I have a very small rattling that sounds like i left a toothpick in my cup holder or something. Best I can tell though, it seems to actually be coming from near (inside) the e-brake/shifter console. Only happens when i'm coasting and is very faint. Will likely get it looked at out of curiosity, however previous experiences w/other BMWs lead me to believe they're not going to find anything... Anyone else experienced similar sound?

Details: 2015 M4 Coupe, DCT, Mineral White, Lighting, Exec, 19" Wheels, Adaptive Suspension, USB, HK Sound, 9k miles
Please provide as much detail as possible about the software update "recall". Also, when did you take delivery of your M4?

As for the sound from the e-brake/shifter area, to me, those are two different areas of the car. It could just be a loose wire that isn't taped up snug if it's around the shifter or i-Drive controller. There are some wires routed through there. But I'm thinking more along the lines of 'rattle fix'. Could be nothing, or insignificant.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Welcome to the forum !
As far as software updates go, hopefully you have a service advisor that actually informs you when software updates are performed or asks your permission. Probably wont ask for permission tho lol
This is one topic that has a lot of information.
Every time your vehicle goes in for service, a scan is done to check the software versions or the control modules in your vehicle.
If it is out of date, the technician will update the module software versions.
A lot of issue's can be resolved thru software updates and BMW is notorious for doing so. And sometimes if you have drivability or even an electronic issue like audio for example, the software level via CIP will be checked first and then updated before replacement of actual components.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
NYCMikeM4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, DCT

I'm headed back in next monday / tuesday and will get a full list of the updates to share. That said, the clutch-response is definitely (and DRASTICALLY) improved. It's like a whole new car! I took delivery Aug, 2014 if that helps anyone compare.

For anyone experiencing that lag/soft-start from like 0-4mph with the DCT, I highly recommend calling your dealership about an update. Otherwise, will look forward to posting an update w/actual facts & stats next week.

Cheers
-mike

--------------------------
regarding the noise, it's maddeningly difficult to pinpoint (and probably idiosyncratic to my car). I'll ask about it and if the answer is anything other people on the forum might benefit from, i'll be sure to post that as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Welcome to the forum !
As far as software updates go, hopefully you have a service advisor that actually informs you when software updates are performed or asks your permission. Probably wont ask for permission tho lol
This is one topic that has a lot of information.
Every time your vehicle goes in for service, a scan is done to check the software versions or the control modules in your vehicle.
If it is out of date, the technician will update the module software versions.
A lot of issue's can be resolved thru software updates and BMW is notorious for doing so. And sometimes if you have drivability or even an electronic issue like audio for example, the software level via CIP will be checked first and then updated before replacement of actual components.
So does that mean any coding will have to be redone? If they update that module?

Quote:
I took delivery Aug, 2014 if that helps anyone
One of the early cars. Man you put a lot of miles on her!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
So does that mean any coding will have to be redone? If they update that module?

I would think it might have to be... That is a good question, I am also an August build... and have mine coded.

I wonder if the OP has his as well? Or if the updates are targeted.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
I'm headed back in next monday / tuesday and will get a full list of the updates to share.....

I would think it might have to be... That is a good question, I am also an August build... and have mine coded.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist. I know this is not what it's meant for, but I just wanted to use that funny emoticon
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist. I know this is not what it's meant for, but I just wanted to use that funny emoticon
Haha.. sometimes, I read things.. but I don't really read things...

Maybe
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:

Yes that is correct.
If a module was retrofitted with a specific feature coding, It would have to be re-coded again with what you had previously done
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

I had my service done a few days ago and also have they check on my I drive as the screen will sometimes turn off by itself and on again. They did a software flash on the i drive and I asked if it was reprogramming the whole car, they just said just the I drive. But my coding were gone and car seems to drive differently, maybe they cleared the ecu adaptation as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
My SA is very cool and knows my car is coded and is cool about it.. I am do for my 2nd service next week so i will be asking him before any updates are done as i dont want my coding erased because of the issue with the files being shortened on the FEM module. If it will erase my coding i will not allow the updates to be done. i will see if he says anything about it and let you all know.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #14
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:

2) Car drives differently for sure. I have the M-DCT, and I was annoyed at its "soft start" (even at max settings). That seems to be resolved -- need to drive more to confirm. Gear changes seem to be improved overall. And, perhaps I'm crazy, but the steering also seems heavier and more direct as well...

Welcome to the Forum.. I mean the family

Any Updates, did you get the full service list? Pic of the Invoice?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #15
Nflight97
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4, 2013 X3 35i M

There must have been some sort of weird service interval changed on mine (very early build -purchased June '14). Last week I randomly looked at my service alerts and it said mine was due in April, but yet it has 4,700 miles to go until due. I was thinking it wouldn't need oil until 12K (which roughly matches the miles) but I was shocked to see it was "overdue".

No warning lights/reminders, and it didn't "pre-call" the service dept for an appointment (my X3 does this). I stopped by and the SA checked the fob and said "yep, just bring it in, its due" but offered no specifics.

Background: 2015 M4 DCT with 6K miles. Daily driven, no track time (yet).

This has never happened with any of my previous BMWs. Maybe just paranoid, but I just read that R&T article.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Those of us coming from the N54 know too well about software changes/updates. Seemed quite common over the years I owned my 335i. Mostly they won't even tell you unless you ask, mandatory they will say if pressed. Injector banks, HPFPs/LPFPs, batteries, long starts, etc. By the time they got done with the N54, it ran a lot better but was neutered, it never quite felt like the animal is was when it first came from Germany. Welcome to software updates boys & girls! FYI...

Last edited by shortseller; 05-17-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0