F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New 335dx
Studio RSR

03-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335dX in early March

New 335dx

So I finally picked up the car after 3 months of waiting!

Previous to this I had a 430d MS SDrive which was a fantastic car but I had to give it back when I left my company. I would have loved another, but was looking for 4 doors and the GC was simply far too expensive. I got nearly 12k off my 335dx which I ordered just before Xmas. It was ready for second week of March but I was away getting married and hence only picked it up today.

In terms of spec, I spec'd everything I had on the 430d but upgraded a bit; my spec:

Adaptive M Sport suspension (didn't have on 430d)
Exterior mirrors - folding, automatically dimming (didn't have on 430d)
Glass sunroof
Interior Comfort Package
Lumbar support - driver and front passenger
M Sport Plus Package (didn't have on 430d)
Media Package BMW Professional
Reversing Assist camera
Seat adjustment - front, electric with driver memory
Seat heating - front
Steering wheel heating
HUD (didn't have on 430d)
Speed Limit Display (didn't have on 430d)

First impressions based on a 60 mile ride up M3, A3 and then though horrible S London traffic:

Looks: Definitely not as easy on the eye from the rear as the 430d, but I much prefer the look of the bigger wheels. I've posted some photos of my old and new car below.

Ride: Feels a bit harder and definitely won't be powering over any speed humps now that I own this car Steering is WAY heavier than my 430d and will take some getting used to I suspect. I did test drive the 435dx at the time I got my 430d and I forgot what a difference it feels. I guess this is down to the Xdrive. However, The car feels much more like it sticks to the road (to be expected)

Cabin: I went for the wood again (I know, I know, most of you hate it, but I'm not really a fan of the metal / hexagon stuff ). All in I think it's pretty much identical to the 430d inside. The only major difference is the smaller front doors - I actually liked the big coupe doors, but if all goes to plan and I have a family soonish, my back will def appreciate having doors in the back

Seats: I'm a little uncertain on the electric seats - I swear they cannot be raised up as high as they could be in the 430d. But tbf, I've had no car for 2 months and am pretty jet lagged so its possible I'm imaging things. The seat heating also seems BOILING on 1 bar - Again, I need to keep an eye on this as it may be a fault.

Heated Steering: I always have cold hands and like a relatively cold cabin so I'm glad I went for this option it's really very nice.

HUD / Speed Limit: Both new to me and I like them both. I'm 6' 4" so it makes it easier to keep an eye on my speed as the speedo is always hidden behind the wheel the way I have it set. Speed limit display seems pretty accurate but there is a bit of a lag between it changing i.e. in those ridiculous 20mph / 30mph areas in London.

Only question is in regards to the display on HUD and full black panel. When I'm listening to iPhone music and scroll the right wheel on steering wheel, the track list (or radio stations) come up on the HUD, but not the black panel (as did in 430d without HUD). I can't seem to find away to have the scrolling in both. No big deal really if this can't be done.

Speed Limit: I did not have this on the old car and could be quite useful as an alternative to the cruise control, but I'm trying to get my head around when I should be using it. From what I've found, I think this limits the speed if you gradually put your foot down, but if you floor it, the car will accelerate above the set speed.

Folding Mirrors: Look much better and glad I went for them but are a lot of money for what they are. I just don't know why they can't automatically fold when the door locks. I know this can be coded, but coding seems like too much hard work and surely it would be easy enough for BMW to programme this into iDrive as a setting which can manually be changed?

Adaptive Suspension: Not really had a chance to fully evaluate this as the ride home wasn't a particularly interesting one - motorway and then London traffic.

HK Sound System: Much better than sound system in 430d (standard one), just need to sort out the levels. Someone posted a link to a conversation about some sound engineer giving their best advice on how it should be set up, but I can't seem to find it. With all the settings in the middle it sounds far too bass'y at high volume. I don't really want to sound like some chav in a Corsa with the stereo turned up

Pro-Nav. Had this on the 430d, but obviously there's been a sw update and it seems a few changes on the menus, but still a great system.

MSport + Brakes: Again, not really done much hard braking, but didn't really feel any different. I had a few moments in the 430d, coming down slip roads off the motorway braking extremely hard with the hazards then coming on, so I guess I'll have to do something similar to fully test them.

Performance: To be honest..... I don't really see any difference..... This may be due to me not being too OTT on the Sport + plus stick to left driving thus far, but I could swear there is more of lag when the right foot is floored in Sport mode than it was in the 430d. This may just be a perception (and I'm very jet lagged and tired at the moment), plus I now have Xdrive which basically gives unlimited grip compared to SDrive when flooring it from a standstill. I'm off to North Norfolk this weekend so will have more of a chance for a proper drive. One difference is that I personally think the engine sounds much better - far more of a growl than the 430d

Oh and some photos. Also some of my old car snipped together!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

That is a fab spec. Miss the heated wheel from the old X5 Enjoy the new car

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Agree - great spec and a lovely looking car. Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

Congratulation, enjoy your new car!
Thanks for comparison. Previously driving e92 for 7 years I'm not too sure if I went for coupe again.
On the other hand I wonder why you want to rise your seat higher when you are 6ft 4

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Very nice car and great spec.

Regarding the Limit button, it's your best friend in average speed camera areas and also in town when you can't use cruise and don't want to exceed speed limit.

Lol don't mention xdrive and sdrive in same sentence.... doh!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

You'll be needing to speak to Lorcan then.....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Great car. Wise choice.

As Nick said. ACS springs do make a difference.

Not often he says wise words

Or is right

Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal27 View Post
Great car. Wise choice.

Or is right

Or something remotely positive about a diesel
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Nice car and excellent spec, well done.

My heated seats are very hot too, I don't keep them on very long or it gets uncomfortable.

Power mirrors fold with a long press on lock, I kind of like that I can choose when to fold them - a lot of the time I don't need to.

Enjoy your new toy.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great car and write up, something odd in the last pic at the C pillar?
      03-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Speed limited is great

In the past I have tried to use cruise in average speed camera sections but you end up switching on and off, the limiter operates as you say, capping speed unless you need to floor it. I assume this is a safety feature.

I also use it when in unfamiliar area's and I need to concentrate on where I'm going, plus driving through villages on main roads, very handy

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal27 View Post
Great car. Wise choice.

Or is right

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

Or something remotely positive about a diesel

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post

Awww hugs
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Awww hugs
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piono View Post
Congratulation, enjoy your new car!
Thanks for comparison. Previously driving e92 for 7 years I'm not too sure if I went for coupe again.
On the other hand I wonder why you want to rise your seat higher when you are 6ft 4
I like the seat tilted back far but the base of it up as flat as possible. Having had a slipped disc in my back, this keeps the legs as parallel as possible to the road and reduces pressure on my lower back. If your knees end up higher than your @ss then it puts a lot of pressure on your spine.

The downside is my head is v close to ceiling but it's better than a dodgy back!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #17
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post
Nice car and excellent spec, well done.

My heated seats are very hot too, I don't keep them on very long or it gets uncomfortable.

Power mirrors fold with a long press on lock, I kind of like that I can choose when to fold them - a lot of the time I don't need to.

Enjoy your new toy.
Oh okay thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
Martan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Congratulations on your new car, and like all said great spec.....but would have been better if EB11.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You'll be needing to speak to Lorcan then.....
I'm going to see how things go but it may be on the agenda. My only question with the ACS is will they make the ride even harder and what about all the bumps in the road. I can definitely feel them a lot more with the MSport + wheels compared to the old 430d wheels

I went for another ride tonight and one thing is for sure is I CANNOT drive the way I used to in the 430d over speed humps. The tyres are quite simply far too low profile to be hammering over the humps. In a perverse way this is a good thing as 1) it will slow me down 2) it will stop me destroying the tyres / alloys / suspension on a car which is now mine!

Still querying the power and acceleration though I'm convinced it feels slower than my 430d. However my theory is that this is maybe because there is no wheel spin due to XDrive so the brain is telling me something is not quite right - is this a rational theory? The other thing is that Sport + mode in the 430d was "danger mode" and in the xdrive it feels rather benign

Anyone else gone from SDrive to XDrive recently or driven both a lot - what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I've heard of a few people coming from a 330d to a 335d that say it feels slower. Strange. Could be down to the fact that your 430d was run in and had loosened up whereas the 335d will still be as tight as a...

The more miles that go on mine, the more I enjoy driving it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #22
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
From my experience going from a 320d on se suspension and comparing to her indoors 1 series the springs don't make the ride harder just more controlled. Feels more absorbent than the 1 on msport suspension.

With s drive you could steer by using the power more with x drive car feels more neutral but you can go into and out of bends faster and flatter. This may be due to adaptives/acs etc. Do miss the ability to steer by throttle occasionally but the car is quicker.
Appreciate 0