F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Go Pro
Extreme Powerhouse

03-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
amaar_malik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slammed F30 330D M Sport

Go Pro

Has anyone got a go pro, what are they like?

If you could give me a little review or insight if you have used one would be great

Looking to purchase one in the next few days
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep
Drives: 430d M Sport + EBII

I had a go pro 2. The picture quality was great however by the time I had added the case and screen it was very expensive. I used it for motocross and skiing and I found that it's size meant I had no option but to mount it on my helmet and look like a fool.

I sold the GoPro and bought a contour roam 2. The picture quality isn't quite up to the GoPro in terms of the snow looked a little grey however was fine in any location other tgan the snow. I love that it is bullet shaped as that way I can mount it on the side of my helmet, handle bars, ski pole etc. I also use it on our family holidays as it's completely waterproof and great fun in the pool and on water slides.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:36 AM   #3
matt@stratford
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC M Sport

I have the 3+ black. It's very good and gets a fair bit of use. Depends on what you want out of it. I use mine for biking and the kids use it in the pool when on holiday
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:01 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Use one for MTB n stuff, as mentioned it does depend on what you want to use it for.

Great for activity based vids, however better / other options available if just for shooting vids.

So for example, a normal HD video camera would be better suited to shooting your car shows.
however track stuff, then a go pro.

Just remember not to post street stuff of things that could be illegal or twatish - remember the knob with his BMW dangerously speeding last year.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:17 AM   #5
mcdokika
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 CP

I've got 3+ black as well. Great camera.

Go on the youtube for reviews and samples you will find plenty of them .
      03-31-2015, 02:47 AM   #6
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

I've got a Contour something thats about 3 years old, its not bad but I wish I had gone GoPro instead of Contour, just because GoPro really seem to be the most widely available, more accessories, better support, etc.
Footage is great on the Contour though, and GPS is neat.
      03-31-2015, 02:52 AM   #7
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I use a Mobius - the same one I use as a dash cam. Not quite as 'tech' or 'trendy' as a go pro and has no screen to review footage, but it's a damn sight cheaper and is very well supported. It's very small and light, there's a choice of lenses which both give great image quality and you can also buy a waterproof case for it. There are comparison reviews on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:03 AM   #8
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

We've got about 30 we hire out, mostly now 4 Blacks (and a few Silvers). They've been pretty much bullet proof - just had first 4 go wrong. They are superb except for one thing - battery life is dreadful (4 is better than 3+ but not by a lot). A USB portable charger will be become your best friend.

Funnily enough, just had first 4K Sony Action Cam delivered yesterday - haven't had a chance to even try it yet.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:15 AM   #9
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaar_malik View Post
Has anyone got a go pro, what are they like?
If you could give me a little review or insight if you have used one would be great
Has anybody tried to link one to the car's iDrive?

https://gopro.com/support/articles/w...idrive-bmw-app
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:21 AM   #10
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I've got a Hero 3 and its great. I bought it to do a road trip of the states and capture images every few seconds along the route. Not had a great deal of use otherwise, but do use it cycling and its good to know its there for anything I might need it for.

Picture is great.

I've connected it to iDrive, works ok but theres a bit of a delay......
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:53 AM   #11
fastflyer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 x20d M Sport

I have the 3+ black. Whilst it's a v good camera and great fun to use initially, I don't often find myself in situations worth using it for. As a result it hasn't been touched since the end of last summer (and I bought it at the start!). It's what you make of it really.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:57 AM   #12
mcdokika
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought it to use it with my drone. Amazing.Also I have done timelapse movies perferct for that as well.Have used on the BMW as well have holder, mount everything

Good fun, but dont use every week either..
      03-31-2015, 05:01 AM   #13
amaar_malik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slammed F30 330D M Sport

Wow thanks for all the replies!! It seems like a good option then, i was going to get one for my mountain climb, i think it would be pretty cool to record it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:13 AM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaar_malik View Post
Wow thanks for all the replies!! It seems like a good option then, i was going to get one for my mountain climb, i think it would be pretty cool to record it
Yes very good for that, however remember about battery life.

A decent camera as back up is also a must (personally).

I am tempted by some o these 4k cameras.

I remember when we first started getting compact HD cameras, we used them for a number of shoots while on Red Arrows, some really good quality.

4k with that altitude clarity of air etc and aero's would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:16 AM   #15
mcdokika
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

I remember when we first started getting compact HD cameras, we used them for a number of shoots while on Red Arrows, some really good quality.

Have LCD Bacpac , very recommended!!
Bought 2 extra battery last week with a double USB charger, for 6.x pounds... Bargain!!
      03-31-2015, 05:18 AM   #16
mcdokika
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

Full HD is more than enough for me.. Could buy last year 4k TV, went just for a normal 60 inch one , perfect picture.

Don't miss 4K at all.
      03-31-2015, 05:24 AM   #17
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

I'd recommend looking at the Silver 4 then as it's really useful having touch LCD on back (Black doesn't but has 4K). I bought one for my nephew. Much easier than having to pair with phone to check view.

All comments about batteries are true - we have spares like they are going out of fashion!

Connecting to iDrive is dreadful. Latency on it is awful - got to be a good 1/2 second delay. Not sure why they bothered.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:21 AM   #18
sandford6016
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 420D M Sport

I've had every single GoPro there has ever been, I'm somewhat of a fan. Some of my footage has even been used in gopro adverts (Idon't work for them before anyone asks!).

My advice would be to make sure your computer can handle it before you decide what model you want. You need a top of her range PC/Mac to be able to do editing and uninterrupted playback in 4k, even 1080p needs a fair bit of processing power. I've had friends that haven't thought of this, gone out and done a track day in 4k and then their computer couldn't handle it, so I had to do the editing for them on mine!

If you want an idea of what you get from a gopro search for my username (sandford6016) on YouTube and you'll see some of my stuff, albeit not particularly recent though.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandford6016 View Post
I've had every single GoPro there has ever been, I'm somewhat of a fan. Some of my footage has even been used in gopro adverts (Idon't work for them before anyone asks!).

My advice would be to make sure your computer can handle it before you decide what model you want. You need a top of her range PC/Mac to be able to do editing and uninterrupted playback in 4k, even 1080p needs a fair bit of processing power. I've had friends that haven't thought of this, gone out and done a track day in 4k and then their computer couldn't handle it, so I had to do the editing for them on mine!

If you want an idea of what you get from a gopro search for my username (sandford6016) on YouTube and you'll see some of my stuff, albeit not particularly recent though.
Some really good stuff... Love the Cress ......
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #20
gembrain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335i M Sport Touring

Definitely worth looking at the Garmin Virb Elite - Full HD, GPS built in.

Not got one yet but been watching. They had a few firmware issues at launch but I think generally sorted.

Battery life better than GoPro I believe. Image quality similar but different - you takes your choice.
      03-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #21
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gembrain View Post
Definitely worth looking at the Garmin Virb Elite - Full HD, GPS built in.
I have seen other cams around but the fact that some GoPro link nicely to the BMW iDrive console is something you cant get with other brands...
Appreciate 0