ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

03-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
guitarman1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 & 2004 325i

Where to get 1200 mile service done in Maryland?

I live in Maryland and there are several BMW dealerships near where I live and work. I'll soon need the 1200 mile break in service on my M4. Does anyone have any really good, or really bad experiences with the service departments at the following dealerships? Or are they all pretty much the same when it comes to maintenance?

BMW of Silver Spring
BMW of Rockville
BMW of Catonsville
Passport BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

I had it done at Rockville. I like my service advisor, Eric, very accommodating. I am assuming they did it right, but how would I know. The only thing I'd recommend is don't let them 'wash' your car, they make it worse regardless how it was going in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Where ever you decide to go, make nice with your SA and tech. It'll be one of the best decisions for you and your car.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman1 View Post
I live in Maryland and there are several BMW dealerships near where I live and work. I'll soon need the 1200 mile break in service on my M4. Does anyone have any really good, or really bad experiences with the service departments at the following dealerships? Or are they all pretty much the same when it comes to maintenance?

BMW of Silver Spring
BMW of Rockville
BMW of Catonsville
Passport BMW
I drive down from Bel Air to Northwest BMW ... Smaller dealership.

Worth the drive for me, just so I don't give the owner of Bel Air/Towson/Rockville any of BMW's warranty money.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman1

BMW of Silver Spring
BMW of Rockville
BMW of Catonsville
Passport BMW
If you make a slightly longer trip down the east side of 495 go to BMW Alexandria and talk to Damian the SA. He hooks it up. If you're interested PM me for more details.

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I hate picking user names View Post
I drive down from Bel Air to Northwest BMW ... Smaller dealership.

Worth the drive for me, just so I don't give the owner of Bel Air/Towson/Rockville any of BMW's warranty money.
Go to BMW of Silver Spring.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
guitarman1
Private
Rep

I decided to go with BMW of Silver Spring. Will report back when it's over.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I went to BMW of silverspring. Ask for Thomas he was a great SA. However those fuckers who took my car to their service department reved the shit out of it. Probably took it to higher rpms than I ever took it. On top of that they went on two "test drives" totalling 5 miles. Luckily it doesn't seem like they thrashed it too hard during those "test drives." I honestly had no idea why you would need to for the 1200 mile service. If you guys are wondering how I know it's because I have a dashcam installed. I have to say initially I was really pissed off but I decided to let it go since no real harm was done.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

They were just seating your piston rings.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I'll probably go to Northwest BMW.

I actually picked my car up from Len Stoler Audi (Len Stoler owns Oyster Bay BMW in Long Island where the car came from), but I dropped off my 335is lease at Northwest BMW down the road. Seemed like a good dealership, and the guy I worked with to turn in the lease has an M4 of his own!

I've been to Towson BMW, not particularly a fan one way or the other
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
guitarman1
Private
Rep

My experience at BMW of Silver Spring today was outstanding. I made an appointment last week to bring in my M4 for its 1200 mile service at 7:45am today. I had made the appointment with Thomas Grant based on online reviews I had read. I arrived about 20 minutes early and parked outside the front door to wait for the service department to open. Immediately, Thomas came outside and greeted me by name (the M4 was the giveaway). We chatted and he asked me to park in the service lane and said that the garage doors would open at 7:30. At precisely 7:30 they opened, I drove in, checked in at the service desk, and Thomas came over to walk me to his desk. It's been a while since I've had service done at a dealership, but I've never been seated at a desk while speaking with a service adviser. Nice touch. Usually I'm standing at a counter as if I'm ordering a Big Mac and fries.

Thomas went over what would be done during the 1200 mile service, and approximately how long it would take (about 90 minutes). He also walked me around the dealership showing me where I could get coffee, the restroom, etc. He asked me if I wanted the car washed, to which I said no thank you. He came over to me a couple of times during the wait to give me updates and to make sure I was comfortable.

Near the end, he said they would be taking the car for a 1-2 mile test drive. I asked if we could skip that step. He said, "sure, it's your baby." He also said I might see a warning about tire pressure being reset.

Thomas also asked if I had had the encore delivery done yet. I hadn't, and went for it mainly to get the $50 gas card. The BMW genius showed me some things I hadn't figured out yet, so that was 15 minutes well spent.

I didn't meet the mechanic, but there was not a drop of oil or anything spilled anywhere. They took care of my car as if it was their own. Can't ask for anymore than that.

Now it's time to drive!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #12
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman1 View Post
My experience at BMW of Silver Spring today was outstanding. I made an appointment last week to bring in my M4 for its 1200 mile service at 7:45am today. I had made the appointment with Thomas Grant based on online reviews I had read. I arrived about 20 minutes early and parked outside the front door to wait for the service department to open. Immediately, Thomas came outside and greeted me by name (the M4 was the giveaway). We chatted and he asked me to park in the service lane and said that the garage doors would open at 7:30. At precisely 7:30 they opened, I drove in, checked in at the service desk, and Thomas came over to walk me to his desk. It's been a while since I've had service done at a dealership, but I've never been seated at a desk while speaking with a service adviser. Nice touch. Usually I'm standing at a counter as if I'm ordering a Big Mac and fries.

Thomas went over what would be done during the 1200 mile service, and approximately how long it would take (about 90 minutes). He also walked me around the dealership showing me where I could get coffee, the restroom, etc. He asked me if I wanted the car washed, to which I said no thank you. He came over to me a couple of times during the wait to give me updates and to make sure I was comfortable.

Near the end, he said they would be taking the car for a 1-2 mile test drive. I asked if we could skip that step. He said, "sure, it's your baby." He also said I might see a warning about tire pressure being reset.

Thomas also asked if I had had the encore delivery done yet. I hadn't, and went for it mainly to get the $50 gas card. The BMW genius showed me some things I hadn't figured out yet, so that was 15 minutes well spent.

I didn't meet the mechanic, but there was not a drop of oil or anything spilled anywhere. They took care of my car as if it was their own. Can't ask for anymore than that.

Now it's time to drive!
The crew at BMW of SS is great. Happy to hear you had a good experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #13
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

i did not have a good experience at Passport. Be bringing my business elsewhere...probably SS or Rockville.
      05-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
i did not have a good experience at Passport. Be bringing my business elsewhere...probably SS or Rockville.
Go to BMW of SS, ask for Thomas Grant.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 05-02-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

BMW of SS is better (been there only once, but it was a great experience).
The only thing that is by appointment only, but it is better because that is how they manage the time of others. Was there for oil change and break fluid. 2.5 hours and drove away with a very clean ride.

I bought my car in BMW Rockville and had gone like 4 times to the service department. Not friendly department and do not give status of the work and mostly they take their time. 3 hours for a tire replacement...
BMW of Rockville does not stand to its "Priority Service" that is being marketed.
      05-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1 View Post
BMW of SS is better (been there only once, but it was a great experience).
The only thing that is by appointment only, but it is better because that is how they manage the time of others. Was there for oil change and break fluid. 2.5 hours and drove away with a very clean ride.

I bought my car in BMW Rockville and had gone like 4 times to the service department. Not friendly department and do not give status of the work and mostly they take their time. 3 hours for a tire replacement...
BMW of Rockville does not stand to its "Priority Service" that is being marketed.
Rockville, Towson and Bel Air all have the same owner/run the same.

Stay away at all costs.

Having bought 7 new BMW's... I cannot stress enough their sheisterness (sound it out)
Appreciate 0