THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Front splitter/spoiler and speed bumps ?

03-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Front splitter/spoiler and speed bumps ?

Hey guys, I'm gonna put the OEM front splitter + lip spoiler on my M235i, which is gonna be my daily driver (my only vehicle).

No suspension mods, drops, etc.

Given this, can someone comment on whether or not the front lip is going to be a problem in terms of speed bumps, potholes, etc ? And please share your experience.

Thanks !
      03-04-2015, 11:38 PM   #2
Regardless
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: turbo'd inline 6

I had this same concern.

With stock height I had no problems with speed bumps. I did have to slow down when approaching a steep driveway, but overall no clearance issues.
I did have to back into a lot of parking spaces, as it will hit the parking curb block.

Just in case you consider lowering in the future..
I just lowered on H&R's and I have had no problems with speed bumps so far. I do have to angle into steep driveways though. But overall with some care, the lip will be fine.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
I had this same concern.

With stock height I had no problems with speed bumps. I did have to slow down when approaching a steep driveway, but overall no clearance issues.
I did have to back into a lot of parking spaces, as it will hit the parking curb block.

I just lowered on H&R's and I have had no problems with speed bumps so far. I do have to angle into steep driveways though. But overall with some care, the lip will be fine.
Thanks dude ! Good info !
      03-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regardless
I had this same concern.

Same exact experience here.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
DYoung
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW 228i  [9.50]
I installed the front splitter on my car in February, so I've had a chance to experience most of the conditions where I was worried about the clearance.

Speed bumps around here rarely cause scraping, but I'm sure I'll eventually encounter one that will cause me to cringe. Luckily the splitter is fairly flexible so other than some scratches on the underside I think the splitter will survive most minor hazards.

Where I notice the most contact with the ground is leaving a parking lot that descends a slope through a gutter onto a level street. The splitter extends out a few inches which is enough to scrape slightly before the car can level out. This is the case at my office so every day I look for the best angle of approach to minimize the contact.

Parking blocks are a particular hazard that I consciously give a wide berth. I usually give them at least 2 feet of space, I would rather the tail of the car extend slightly from the parking space than risk bumping the spitter. It's not worth inching up on the block to get the car all the way into a parking spot.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoung View Post
I installed the front splitter on my car in February, so I've had a chance to experience most of the conditions where I was worried about the clearance.

Speed bumps around here rarely cause scraping, but I'm sure I'll eventually encounter one that will cause me to cringe. Luckily the splitter is fairly flexible so other than some scratches on the underside I think the splitter will survive most minor hazards.

Where I notice the most contact with the ground is leaving a parking lot that descends a slope through a gutter onto a level street. The splitter extends out a few inches which is enough to scrape slightly before the car can level out. This is the case at my office so every day I look for the best angle of approach to minimize the contact.

Parking blocks are a particular hazard that I consciously give a wide berth. I usually give them at least 2 feet of space, I would rather the tail of the car extend slightly from the parking space than risk bumping the spitter. It's not worth inching up on the block to get the car all the way into a parking spot.
Excellent info ! Thanks bud !