F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Issues at dealership?
Studio RSR

02-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #1
mastereh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328 xDrive Sport Line

Issues at dealership?

I'm considering having some coding done to my new 328i to turn on Bluetooth audio and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their dealerships after you've had the coding done.

I bought my car from marenello bmw in Toronto area.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereh View Post
I'm considering having some coding done to my new 328i to turn on Bluetooth audio and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their dealerships after you've had the coding done.

Dealers generally don't care about coding as long it doesn't interfere with what they're doing on your car which in pretty much all cases does not.

I brought my car into Maranello two weeks ago with a swapped head unit, different steering wheel, iDrive controller and touch handwriting module installed and I had absolutely no issues getting the car serviced. I brought the car in for an oil change and to fix a rattling exhaust.

If you take your car in for recall that requires a software upgrade however, that will wipe all your coding and return everything back original.

If you're going to Maranello, look for William Wong. He's pretty good.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Title101
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereh View Post

I'm curios, where do you plan on getting the coding done? I am also in the Toronto area and would be interested in knowing where I could go to get that done.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
5speedto6speed
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 6 speed manual sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I found a few guys off kijiji who of course would charge for the coding. I was curious if it would void the warranty and I was a bit reluctant because the guy mentioned if I go to the dealer and they make a change the coding could go back to factory settings. If this is the case then this guy would re-charge me again. I was thinking of trying to do it myself but of course don't want to damage my vehicle. I was interested in DVD in motion, putting my windows and closing the sunroof with my keyfob (can only go down).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Only if dealer has to update your ECU completely. Yes, all codings will indeed be wiped out and you will need to have the codes re-done.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedto6speed View Post
not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I found a few guys off kijiji who of course would charge for the coding. I was curious if it would void the warranty and I was a bit reluctant because the guy mentioned if I go to the dealer and they make a change the coding could go back to factory settings. If this is the case then this guy would re-charge me again. I was thinking of trying to do it myself but of course don't want to damage my vehicle. I was interested in DVD in motion, putting my windows and closing the sunroof with my keyfob (can only go down).
Contact Aritaurus . He's very knowledgeable with this stuff and would not hesitate to recommend him to anybody who wants coding done.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Only if dealer has to update your ECU completely. Yes, all codings will indeed be wiped out and you will need to have the codes re-done.
It really depends if they update all of your modules and what kind of work they're doing. Some dealers will apply software updates to the modules that need programming while leaving the others with its original programming whereas others may flash every module to the latest version.

Usually they prefer not to do it because it takes up a service bay for for up to 5 hours and there's a small chance that something could go wrong in the flashing process. When this happens, the dealer may need to replace a module and your car may be in the shop for weeks if the part needs to be ordered.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0