New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

02-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Audemars Piguet

Surprised there isn't much talk about AP watches here. Personally I am obsessed with the Royal Oak Offshore models (ROO). Here are a few of my favorites:
Volcano
Bumblebee
Lebron
Don Ramon
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I like the Diver and the 15400. The ROO chronograph models are a bit over the top and too huge for my taste.
      02-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Audemars Piaget
is ....
a MUSTHAVE!
Do what you want with your life but don't leave this planet without wearing one of these!
-Royal Offshore-
enough said
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I like the Diver and the 15400. The ROO chronograph models are a bit over the top and too huge for my taste.
Same here. I do like the Grand Prix models also, even though they are big. The new Ceramic Diver is sweet.

Having said that, I've cut my losses at three watches, two Rolexes and leaving third option open for the future for that "I just can't live without watch".
It'll probably end being an Omega Speedmaster Soyuz LE, the dial is just too too unique.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Surprised there isn't much talk about AP watches here. Personally I am obsessed with the Royal Oak Offshore models (ROO). Here are a few of my favorites:
Volcano
Bumblebee
Lebron
Don Ramon
Well, what have I to say about the ROO is that it is a very fine watch, but in most cases a very unattractive one to me. My issues with the ROO's looks are:
  • The numerals on the dial -- there are too many of them that are lopped off and I would prefer markers instead of numbers if one can't show the whole number (or at least damn near the whole digit)
  • Sub-dials -- the visual balance of the dial itself is ruined by the 12-9-6 arrangement of the sub-dials. 3-6-9 would have been a much better layout. My feelings on the layout of the sub-dials isn't limited to AP's ROO. There are very few 12-9-6 chronographs that IMO overcome the visual balance issue that layout presents, so few, that I can't off the top of my head say which one does, but I do recall having once or twice seen one that I thought implemented that layout effectively.
  • The chronograph pushers -- on most models the visual heft of the pushers to my eye throws off the balance of the watch face

Yes, there are one or two versions of the ROO that I think aren't too bad looking, but in general, I strongly prefer the looks of the Royal Oak Chronograph over the ROO.

IMO, AP just missed the boat with the aeathetics of the ROO. Of course, that's not the end of the world. Very few companies have never missed the boat on aesthetics.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep

Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

The AP ROC 41mm with black or blue dial is my all time favorite.
      02-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
The AP ROC 41mm with black or blue dial is my all time favorite.
It is lovely. You, sir, however, must figure out whether you will pursue the standard version with its tapisserie dial (I call it the "egg crate" dial, but that term probably isn't "posh" sounding enough for AP...LOL) or the flat one designed by Lionel Messi, officially called "Royal Oak Chronograph Leo Messi."

The Leo Messi is a little bit pricier, and probably more of a collectible watch than is the ROC. It has a slightly different watch face look as well owing to it's use of tantalum.

Leo Messi ROC

Standard ROC

As dilemmas go, yours is a good one to have.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep

Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
It is lovely. You, sir, however, must figure out whether you will pursue the standard version with its tapisserie dial (I call it the "egg crate" dial, but that term probably isn't "posh" sounding enough for AP...LOL) or the flat one designed by Lionel Messi, officially called "Royal Oak Chronograph Leo Messi."

The Leo Messi is a little bit pricier, and probably more of a collectible watch than is the ROC. It has a slightly different watch face look as well owing to it's use of tantalum.

Leo Messi ROC

Standard ROC

As dilemmas go, yours is a good one to have.

All the best.
honestly, I like the standard ROC better... but all the authorized dealers I went to either doesn't have the watch in stock or are not willing to negotiate too much on the price. I guess bargaining and AP doesn't go well together...
      02-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
honestly, I like the standard ROC better... but all the authorized dealers I went to either doesn't have the watch in stock or are not willing to negotiate too much on the price. I guess bargaining and AP doesn't go well together...
I see you are in L.A. Have you gone to the "jewelry district" downtown to see what's on offer?

Were I an AD, I probably wouldn't give you much of a discount either if you don't make a compelling business case for me to do so. Checking with various sellers in the area is a good start. Try also to find a grey market seller that's close by (within a few hours driving distance). Have you tried Philippe's? (http://philippeswatches.com/)

Truly, you shouldn't have to bargain that hard to get a discount on an ROC. If you do, just go to an AD to try on whatever you need to and then order it from one of the grey market sellers on the WWW if there isn't one local to you.
  • Jomashop offers the ROC at a 22% discount.
  • Alan Furman has them at 15% off.
  • Prestige Time at 17% off.
Just tell your AD that you don't care about the warranty because it's preposterous to you that a watch of the caliber of an AP ROC would fail within the two years they offer as the warranty period. After all what's the point of paying $20K for a watch that has a manufacturer's defect or that outright breaks in two years? That's what one would expect from a plastic Swatch, not a watch from one of the most highly regarded makers on the planet.

Throw that at him and tell him you are willing to buy right then and there at whatever represents a 25% discount off MSRP. See if he then haggles with you. Tell him you already have a firm offer at better than 20% off MSRP (don't tell him where...if he asks, tell him you don't want to compromise the seller's confidentiality) and you're happy to accept that offer, but you'd rather buy from him. If he won't best 22%, stand right there in his store and call Jomashop and order the watch. If he doesn't attempt to stop you from buying it, leave and complete the purchase from Jomashop. (Do not give the AD your phone and let them talk to Jomashop.)

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I respect the brand, but just don't get the AP design language... I find it revolting, in fact. Maybe that helps contribute to their elite mystique though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I respect the brand, but just don't get the AP design language... I find it revolting, in fact. Maybe that helps contribute to their elite mystique though.
I find that hard to believe. Do you actually know what AP's design language is? I have yet to find they have a single one across the entire company. That comment seems very much like one coming from someone who thinks Royal Oak variants are all there is to Audemars Piguet.

It's so that the RO, ROC and ROO are AP's best known lines among the general public, but not one of them is what made AP what it is to day. Their long tradition of fine watchmaking in their Jules Audemar line is what did that, and that's the line that the non-hoi-polloi buy.

(http://blogs.christies.com/longitude...te-tourbillon/)

The watches above are but a smattering of what make AP special. The RO, as a Gerald Genta design is noteworthy, but it's not by any means all there is to AP.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I find that hard to believe. Do you actually know what AP's design language is? I have yet to find they have a single one across the entire company. That comment seems very much like one coming from someone who thinks Royal Oak variants are all there is to Audemars Piguet.

It's so that the RO, ROC and ROO are AP's best known lines among the general public, but not one of them is what made AP what it is to day. Their long tradition of fine watchmaking in their Jules Audemar line is what did that, and that's the line that the non-hoi-polloi buy.

The watches above are but a smattering of what make AP special. The RO, as a Gerald Genta design is noteworthy, but it's not by any means all there is to AP.
great info. learn something new every day!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Even the more "traditional" designs don't appeal to me all that much. I don't know if it's the proportions, fonts used, or balance of space but that's just how I feel.

It's not just because of the RO, Tony (but feel free to find my opinion hard to believe). Out of the examples you showed above, maybe three or four feel moderately appealing, but no more than other ultra luxury brands.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even the more "traditional" designs don't appeal to me all that much. I don't know if it's the proportions, fonts used, or balance of space but that's just how I feel.

It's not just because of the RO, Tony (but feel free to find my opinion hard to believe). Out of the examples you showed above, maybe three or four feel moderately appealing, but no more than other ultra luxury brands.
Well, three or four is enough from which to pick one.

Truly my "issue" (if one can even call it that) with your comment was with the idea that AP has a design language. The stuff AP have made over the years is so varied that I just don't see one design language. Within a given line, yes, I see it, but at the brand level, I don't.

I don't mind that you don't like any of their models. That is what it is. It's still hard to believe; AP have made so darn many watches over the entirety of the existence of the modern wristwatch that one likes none of them is a very surprising thing find.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well, three or four is enough from which to pick one.
Moderately appealing, I said. That's not exactly a rave review. I definitely still wouldn't buy one even if I had the scratch.

Anyhow, I shouldn't threadjack further. Carry on folks.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #16
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Drives: 135i

The ROO is just out of my price range mostly or I'd own one.

I really like the Vacheron Overseas models as ell.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Moderately appealing, I said. That's not exactly a rave review. I definitely still wouldn't buy one even if I had the scratch.

Anyhow, I shouldn't threadjack further. Carry on folks.
No, it's not. LOL

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The ones I pictured are but the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. I suspect that AP's most commonly purchased non-Royal Oak models are the uncomplicated Jules Audemar pieces such as the one sample pictured below.

I can't say why folks choose it over very similar offerings from VC, JLC, Piaget, ALS and others. I can say why it appeals to me, but I hardly expect others to have the same value system re: watches that I do.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #20
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

I remember seeing it on Arnold Schwarzenegger in one of his terminator movies. Great watch but definitely out of my league. For those of you who can, respect.... I'm more of a Tag Heuer / Omega kind of guy.
      05-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #21
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Drives: Cars

I'm not a watch guy and the last watch I wore was a Swatch back when I was around 13 lol.

Walked by a AP store last week and was fascinated by the ROO in rose pink gold ceramic.

Then it got me started and I found an even hotter looking one

How's the depreciation on these bad boys?
      05-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #22
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I'm not a watch guy and the last watch I wore was a Swatch back when I was around 13 lol.

Walked by a AP store last week and was fascinated by the ROO in rose pink gold ceramic.

Then it got me started and I found an even hotter looking one

How's the depreciation on these bad boys?
The hold their value pretty strong...considering an Big bang is still around 10k's.
Appreciate 0