E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Can anyone help please. DSC traction lights on dash

02-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
f3adm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sapphire Black

Can anyone help please. DSC traction lights on dash

Hi guys any help would be greatly appreciated. I have 3 warning lights on the dash which are constantly illuminated. Driving stability error in iDrive. No traction control, no ABS, no cruise control.

I checked for fault codes and the following is on the DSC module

5DC0-Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor : Accident Recognition

Fault codes remains persistent even after driving. And is active from ignition on. I have taken to an independent garage and he has replaced the ABS sensor and the code is still persistent. We have then swapped the ABS sensor from the other side and the fault is still present on the same side. We have also updated the DSC ecu but to no avail. The ABS reluctor ring is also intact and shows no sign or wear or damage.

Many thanks in advance.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
f3adm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Only other option I can think of is to send the abs pump and ECU off to see if it has a fault?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Is the car a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder first of all as sending a 4 cylinder hydro away financially doesn't stack up as the respiratory kits from BMW can workmoutbat £170ish plus fitting of course and ECU testing's repair cost is more than than thst plus of course you've got 2 way postage to deal with. Tgats if its confirmed as hydro related!

The code in question though is interesting usually on hydros it's hydro specific(power supply/connection internal etxc fault codes 5DF0/F1)this code you have is specific to the offside therefore before assuming you'll need to look more closely at the offside rear looking for drive shaft reluctor expansion(due to corrosion)hich will knock out the speed sensor for sure) you'll need to have someone carefully on a ramp in the air turn the wheel buy hand to check plus you'll have to examine the ring carefully for signs of wear(which will be visable)when examined close up.

I could be wrong but on hydros to see the phrase you've stated and its specific to the offside rear to me wants a closer look back on the rear offside, I'd want to look at that offside driveshaft reluctor ring assembly and also the hub itself at length for any sings of foreign matter contamination(look for clear wear evidence)
      02-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
f3adm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The car is a E91 318D 2011.
That's why I haven't sent it off yet as usually the common fault is hydro related and the code is related to the rear ABS speed sensor.

I have driven the car with INPA running and the rear speed sensor is definitely not showing any signs of communication.

Will have to check more thoroughly as you have stated, nightmare not having traction control or ABS especially with this weather, luckily not had too much snow or ice around here!
Cheers for the advice buddy!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3adm View Post
The car is a E91 318D 2011.
That's why I haven't sent it off yet as usually the common fault is hydro related and the code is related to the rear ABS speed sensor.

I have driven the car with INPA running and the rear speed sensor is definitely not showing any signs of communication.

Will have to check more thoroughly as you have stated, nightmare not having traction control or ABS especially with this weather, luckily not had too much snow or ice around here!
Cheers for the advice buddy!
i don't know the INPA system, what codes it pulls out but the description does lead you to the rear offside its very specific (don't know about the accident refrence - but at a guess its terminology relates to how it's been triggered ) therefore it's worth re checking the rear offside, we've seen a few 1's and 3's with driveshaft issues though no LCI's there usually anything from an 05 plate say to a 08 plate and there mainly 4 cylinder vehicles though I have seen a 325d with the issue too.

If it's inconclusive then to be sure find a place like us who can use Autologic which will I suspect easily narrow the fault down.

If this proves to be driveshaft reluctor ring related, I'd be shocked and at that age if proven I'd look at asking BMW GB a question re longevity but look at everything.