BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

02-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
m3z
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

need help guys

so my aunt and I were driving along today in a 2013 audi a6 when the brakes just literally FAILED. I was sitting passenger and tried to put on the emergency brakes. even tried dumping the car into park or reverse and we rolled on at a steady 24-28 mph. we ended up crashing into a parking lot and a fence to stop us. is it true that audi is only liable for damages and not the fact that the brakes failed? is my aunt not entitled to any kind of pay out or something? (in the beginning this is not the route I wanted to go but when I got to the dealership they were giving us all kinds of attitude as if theyre cars were from heaven and couldn't have failed) I understand we should be glad no one was hurt (which we are glad for) but that had nothing to do with audi. all audi did was fail on us. we had to maneuver the car to dodge traffic and basically "stop" into the fence. Im sorry if im just venting but I was hoping to get some good advice. (my cousin whos a lawyer is saying that audi is only liable for the damage but hes fresh out of law school so I was hoping someone who has dealt with a issue like this could give me their prespective)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

That's a safety issue and they should buy the car back.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
m3z
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
That's a safety issue and they should buy the car back.
the car is a lease. and the lease is actually over in 5 days (feburary 7th) what are my choices then? thank you for the quick reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

You need to get an audi mechanic (from a shop that handles mostly audis) verify your claims that the brakes failed. then get a lawyer to represent you (maybe one of them lemon ones) If you can prove that the brakes failed because of defect- then you may have a chance to get the blame on audi for the tab.

btw, if yours failed, you should look into the audi forums to find others in the same situation. if you cannot find others in the same boat, then find out why your car is the only one- i.e. did you have service done on the brakes recently by a dealer or 3rd party mechanic? did they forget to install something? etc.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
m3z
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
You need to get an audi mechanic (from a shop that handles mostly audis) verify your claims that the brakes failed. then get a lawyer to represent you (maybe one of them lemon ones) If you can prove that the brakes failed because of defect- then you may have a chance to get the blame on audi for the tab.

btw, if yours failed, you should look into the audi forums to find others in the same situation. if you cannot find others in the same boat, then find out why your car is the only one- i.e. did you have service done on the brakes recently by a dealer or 3rd party mechanic? did they forget to install something? etc.
I took the car to the audi dealership. was that a bad move? all service was done by audi (the dealership). craziest thing is. my aunt felt something was wrong with the brakes. I tested it. as soon as I got off the gas, the car would slow down as if the emergency brakes were on or something. so we were on the way to the dealership to see if this was normal when the accident happened. (according to her, the brake pedal was acting up for the past few days. i.e. long pedal travel, then short pedal travel. going from really sensitive brake feel to needing to push the pedal all the way down)
Appreciate 0